PDA

View Full Version : Schools keeping hot lunch money

livkat
03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
So I decided to check with my daughters Elementary school on Monday to see what they were going to do about hot lunches that were missed in January and February due to the storm days. I was expecting it to be applied to another month, but I was kind of floored by what the principal told me. They keep the money as a donation. Now don't get me wrong, I support the school, and their fundraising efforts, however I do not appreciate money I send for one thing being used towards something else without my knowledge. Doing a rough estimate I figure they collected about $2000 .
I'm curious what other schools do or are doing? Is this the norm? My daughter is only in grade 1, and last year there were no storm day's on hot lunch days.

rhiley_08j
03-23-2011, 08:10 PM
I agree with you, I think that if you sent money in for one thing and it wasn't used for that specific thing then it should be returned. That would be like paying for something at a store in advance and then they realize they don't have it in stock, and then say "thanks for the donation". To me that is theft, whether it's a school or not.

michhump
03-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Our daughter came home with money one day...it was for the missing lunch days. She is at Havelock.

shadoww
03-24-2011, 06:51 AM
What I dont like at my kids school is if a child pays for hot lunch and doesnt attend htat day the teachers gets it, I think they should allow kids who may have forgotten to pay ahead of time to buy the leftovers that day.