PDA

View Full Version : Please think before mindlessly sending on SPAM

trinity
03-25-2007, 05:20 PM
I got the one today yet again with the poem about "the friend"- the point is reportedly to keep contact with your friends, but it starts off horribly! Why would anyone send their LOVED ones an email that starts with little 'stories" about people that didn't read or send this on and people DIED or lost their loved ones to horrible accidents? How can you with clear conscience send this to people you CARE about? It's bad enough to received the fake stories about lurkers in the back seat at a gas station or faux warm fuzzy crap about Alexander Flemings father saving Winston Churchill as a child, then Winstons father sending Alexander to school as reward, then Alexander inventing penicillin that saved Winston Churchill as an adult in the 1940s. PS, this previous story is TOTAL FICTION. It's BS from word one.
I am sending my own SPAM today- it is an email to ALL my contacts stating that from this moment on, all mail with FW or FWD in it will be deleted automatically from my system unread, unseen by me. I'm sick of this. I had that setting on my email before and on occasion I did not receive good mail like people forwarding photos I had requested or articles I wanted, but I am putting that filter back on, this is retarded!

oasis
03-26-2007, 05:23 AM
I don't even look at them. I just delete them automatically. I've sent messages to my friends telling them I don't want these. But they keep coming. My wife has a friend out west that will send 20 or 30 of these things daily to both my wife and me. Thats up to 60 emails in one day to us alone.

I'm sorry I don't believe that if I don't send this email to 5000 of my closest friends that I'll
A] drop dead
B] have terrible sex the rest of my life or
C] that if I do send it on that the Microsoft/AOL fairy will drop a check for millions of dollars in my mail box!!!!!!!

I just delete them. I've already received most of them a million times already. I will get some of them up to 3 times in one or two days. Wifes friend, Then my brother out west, Then one of my brothers here will forward the message he got from our other brother. Can he not read?? My address is already in the list!!!

I had one friend that I told NOT to send them to me. He continued so if it said to send it to 10 friends, I'd send it to him 10 times. One day I forwarded over 100 of these things to him! I haven't got a bit of this crap from him since. Now if he gets a joke he thinks I'll like he sends it, but no more chain letters. I just wish my brothers and wifes friend would have taken the same hint!

puppyluv
03-26-2007, 05:47 AM
or better yet, that they dont use BCC and share your email with everyone else!

Crystalbeach
03-26-2007, 08:16 AM
I hate them! and they don't delete the email addresses..

Crystalbeach
03-26-2007, 08:16 AM
and they don't check on snopes to see if some of the foolishness is a hoax or not.

dmbeyea
03-26-2007, 12:32 PM
I just delet them, i've seen the same emails dozens of times now,
Like I wanna read it over and over again, reading the garbage once was enough.

trinity
03-26-2007, 05:03 PM
I had to send the email to all my contacts because one week I missed several important emails from a friend who was trying to send me information that I asked for and without knowing it I had the "delete automatically" option set and it was automatically catching the "FW" in his email to me.

trinity
04-04-2007, 12:19 AM
yet another group I belong to has had a member mindlessly post an urban legend. I was moved and motivated to give a $5 donation to snopes.com for all their hard, tireless work in proving that a hundred years after Barnum, there's still one born every minute.

ChelorSean
04-04-2007, 06:40 AM
here ya go this one is perfect for thsi post....lol

http://info.org.il/irrelevant/may02-smilepop-soapbox4.swf (javascript:ol('http://info.org.il/irrelevant/may02-smilepop-soapbox4.swf');)

vanessalynn5484
04-04-2007, 07:48 AM
I hate forwards too! I usually only delete them. It's always the usual suspects who send them too. I do occasionally enjoy those survey ones where you tell people things about yourself. They are good for a laugh when it's the middle of the night and you can't sleep http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/vanessalynn548454/emoties/ththtry13.gif
Only when you get one from a friend, when you get one from someone you do not really know it borders on creepy.

kaj27
04-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Thankfully most of my friends don't send that stuff. I will get an odd one every now and again.

People eh?