PDA

View Full Version : Poop & Scoop....ya right!!

T4
03-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Ok, so here's the thing. With the warmer weather coming it is exposing the land mines of many dogs and probably cats too. Seems to me, that most people are scooping their dogs poop, however....if you have driven down some particular streets in town, there are what seems to be HUNDREDS of bags...every size, color, tied and untied...full of dog poop!! I don't understand, that if your taking the time to "scoop" then why not take it with you and dispose of it? Why leave it on the streets, or in some cases...outside peoples steps where they go into their building? Not only is it gross, but it's unsightly too. I have almost considered putting out a garbage can, but I don't know if that would help any.

Any suggestions on this "crappy" situation??

rhiley_08j
03-25-2007, 06:03 PM
:rofl: so well said i live on metcalf street and this past summer my neighbours and i put not 1 but 2 garbage cans outside and guess what we still had landmines belonging to other peoples 4 legged friends!People should also learn to keep their cats in there own homes cause im sick and tired of poop and garbage from other peoples cats in my flowers and driveways!i called the arl and they said i could catch the cats and bring them in,,,who in their right mind wants to catch a stray male tomcat?not me!!!!save me from poop and catspray and the mess they leave behind!:eek:

T4
03-25-2007, 06:27 PM
One would have to be seriously CRAZY to try and catch a male tomcat...phewww, the smell they spray is almost as bad as a skunk and just as hard to get rid of!! Oh, and I forgot to mention this nasty too...somebody had the nerve...the dog must have had to go really, REALLY bad. Well....the initial part of the mine....was on my front STEPS!! Talk about gross!!

Lemme_LQQK
03-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Ok, so here's the thing. With the warmer weather coming it is exposing the land mines of many dogs and probably cats too. Seems to me, that most people are scooping their dogs poop, however....if you have driven down some particular streets in town, there are what seems to be HUNDREDS of bags...every size, color, tied and untied...full of dog poop!! I don't understand, that if your taking the time to "scoop" then why not take it with you and dispose of it? Why leave it on the streets, or in some cases...outside peoples steps where they go into their building? Not only is it gross, but it's unsightly too. I have almost considered putting out a garbage can, but I don't know if that would help any.

Any suggestions on this "crappy" situation??

Well nobody told these people they had to take it with them AFTER they stooped and scooped...

I spose next it';ll be complaints about all the cig butts on the street.....:rofl:
I live in the country so I really don't have to deal with all that sorta thing .

T4
03-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Oh Lemme, you are sooooo lucky!! I wish that was my situation to!! The only problem is that when it starts to get warmer....ewww what a smell!! Manure would smell soo much sweeter!!

friskeywhiskey
03-25-2007, 08:54 PM
poop & scoop I could be so lucky since the snow has melted on my poor pitiful side yard there appears to be hundreds of landmines. We expected a few but the entire lawn is polluted with dog feces. I do not understand why people think it is acceptable to leave this for the unsuspecting property owner. I am a dog lover by nature but becoming a dog owner hater due to a few bad people. Do these people not realize that this behaviour is highly disrespectful and dirty. If they did not want the responsiblity of having a dog they should just get rid of the dog.

T4
03-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I guess, that's my thoughts exactly. It's dirty, smelly, and looks disgusting. I mean I own big dogs, and you can say what you want about this....I "hired" a student to come and clean my yard, because of the land mines. However, when I am out walking them, I've got my trusty little shopping bags, and pick up their droppings, bring them home and dispose of them in an outside garbage bin.

There are people that live in my building, that take their dog out, it does it's business and they do pick it up, BUT...they leave the untied bags on the side of the steps coming into the house!! How pleasant does that look to company or those walking by.

Another thing, not every dog owner has their dogs vaccines up to date, and their dog could be a carrier of many things. These infections/diseases can be picked up by other dogs and could potentially change a household forever.

It should just be rule of thumb, they "poop" YOU "scoop" and at least put in a garbage can...someplace, just stop leaving it in the streets!

Lemme_LQQK
03-26-2007, 06:56 AM
T4 I was just ribbin ya in my reply to your post . I agree when living in the city peopl should pick it up and dispose of it in the proper manner .
Please don't take any offense to my comment. where I live I put it through out the trees which in my opinion is recycling , fertilizer for the trees on our property.
We have an acre and a half to choose where to put it.

Crystalbeach
03-26-2007, 08:21 AM
We always scoop up after our dog..bring it home to dispose of..what I don't understand is why are cats allowed to run free..do whatever damage..mess...they want to?

T4
03-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey Lemme,
I know that you were just joking, but I am SOO jealous of not being able to live in the country. At least there, the land mines wouldn't be on my front steps!! LOL

And yes, I have to agree, cats running free is just as damaging, smelly and dirty. I have cats, but they are indoor ones.

I dunno, it makes me wonder what things are coming to. I'm sure that any of these pet owners wouldn't be too happy with their child(ren) coming home with poo on their shoes or clothing. Because yes, there it is, right in the spots you walk.

Mandi
03-26-2007, 05:53 PM
We always scoop up after our dog..bring it home to dispose of..what I don't understand is why are cats allowed to run free..do whatever damage..mess...they want to?
They're actually not allowed to... or at least shouldn't be. I'm pretty sure/ positive there's a bylaw against it.

Pumpkin
03-26-2007, 06:49 PM
There are people in my neighbourhood who walk their dogs and let them go on everyones lawn and do not clean it up. This one young miss who walks to keep in shape like to let her german shepard poo on everyones lawn...I am waiting for the day i catch her doing it on my lawn. I am gonna yell out the window camera in hand and tell her that she forgot something!!!

I love spring but I don't love the unthawing aroma of dog poo YUCK.

The is a man who lives across the street from where our kids stand to catch the school bus. And for some reason instead of letting his dog go on his own lawn he takes it across the street and lets it go right where the kids stand in line for the bus. On the sidewalk mind you where people also walk! The kids keep stepping in it. Thankfuly not my kid. But still it shouldn't be there. How ignorant can ya be. They are kids and he is putting doo for them to step in.

Misty589
03-26-2007, 06:52 PM
wow that stinks (pun intended) I have 3 large dogs and we always pick up after them in public (there have been more than once i've left hubby guarding a pile o poop while i go in search of a bag so no one would step in it) However my yard is a complete mess in the spring, we just got it cleaned up this weekend. for the most part our dogs go in our yard, we pick it up every day or so in the spring, summer, fall, however winter is a different story, I don't think its been picked up since NOVEMBER! but it is my own yard, I own i don't rent or share with anyone else so I don't think its a big problem, we clean it up before it gets hot and stinky.

The_Dave
03-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Anyone who does not clean up after their pet and take it with them is just plain ignorant.

tigerpaw
03-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey , believe it or not my mother lives in Halifax and she is starting a business cleaning up people's doggy messes in the lawns. She is getting pretty popular out there , it's a dirty job but if no one else is doing it your bound to make some money. Maybe someone should try that here, wont be me though:eek:

T4
03-26-2007, 09:46 PM
There was a guy a few years back that was doing that very same thing. Hmmm, I wonder what happened to him, he must have gotten sick of dealing with other peoples "crap" lol

rogerfoucault
03-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Some of the arguments I can hear now from city officials about this bylaw is the limited policing or enforcement manpower they have to answer reports of such infractions, let alone investigating these stinky occurrences. (Lol...I picture a CSI crew cordoning off a poop breach radius using yellow 'Police line- Do Not Cross' tape around the animal defecation investigation perimeter).

The best fight one would have is actual video footage of these offenders, along with the complainant's information as to the offenders' identification ("offender" being the animal owner's i.d. and hopeful address for investigators to easily track down) that can further assist investigators in charging the owner for breaching the bylaw as quickly and cost-effectively as possible.

I imagine City Hall receives many complaints from residents who are disgruntled by all of this unnecessary animal soiling all over their property as well as public thoroughfares.

Sometimes the community has to step it up a notch and capture evidence on their own of the offense to ensure the offender(s) are reprimanded for their lack of responsibility in cleaning up after their pets or properly restricting their pets within their own property. City officials wouldn't have any choice then to follow through and send a citation to the offender or send a police officer to offer a fine to the offender.

If you've done this (caught the offender on video and were also able to provide the offender's i.d. as well as address) and the city STILL fails to address the issue or reprimand the offender, then I'd go to the media with news of your efforts which has resulted in a lack of adequate response. I'm sure the newspaper would LOVE to use this in an article that would literally embarrass city officials into changing their ill-responsive ways. (Get John Mazzerole, a journalist for the Telegraph Journal, to look into your report. He LOVES to report questionable city management activity, or lack of proper activity to address local issues, if you haven't read some of his newspaper columns. He's a great community watchdog!).

Unless you can afford sufficient fencing around your own property that will keep wandering strays off your lawns, or errant animals who are being walked by owners who aren't tethering their pets on a leash (or are allowing their tethered pets to 'squat and drop' on people's lawns), I'm afraid this is a necessary evil urbanites must face until they take matters into their own hands such as I've suggested above.

Regards,

Roger Foucault
Co-owner
ANT-TROPOLIS STUDIOS
www.ant-tropolis.com (http://www.ant-tropolis.com/)
Email: roger@ant-tropolis.com