PDA

View Full Version : Dire straits "Money for Nothing" banned

dpage466
01-13-2011, 06:10 PM
http://www.cbsc.ca/english/decisions/2011/110112.php

this is horrible when we've come this far in society that we are now banning songs older then half the listeners that hear it on the radio.

trinity
01-14-2011, 09:35 PM
I see both sides, but even when the song was new, that term was offensive and on its way out. however the song is sung from the point of view of an uneducated labourer "grunt" who is calling the unknown singer a "faggot" because he is jealous of his popularity and wealth. I agree that people have gotten a bit too sensitive, given that I have many gay friends who jokingly call each other that when hanging out as a term of endearment, the same way some friends would call each other idiot or douche, as in "Hey, XXXXXX, pass me the remote" or "You're such a XXXXX, only you would actually do something that crazy! Get over here XXXX and give me a hug!" For them the term has passed the offensive stage and is now just a word. Someone has nothing better to do than go around making complaints.

dpage466
01-14-2011, 10:15 PM
I also see it from both side, but the context with which the word is being used in is actually the singer referring to himself or another homosexual person reffering to them self in a sort of " yes im gay but look at what I have done with it" sort of attitude. Its probably about the only song with the term in it that is not being sung as an offensive insult and its the only one banned becuase of it. The worst part is nowadays most people dont even use the word in reference to sexuality but as a joke referencing the british slang for a cigarette( which they actually call them fags).

donteatrawpotatoes
01-14-2011, 10:38 PM
I have to say that after reading this I had to listen to this song because it got stuck in my head!
With the amount of smut that's played this seems so foolish to me.

trinity
01-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Yeah, so kids can hear songs encouraging them to shoot cops, use drugs, and hit women, but a joking line where one hardworking guy is envying another guy's seemingly easy job is not allowed?

rhiley_08j
01-15-2011, 09:46 AM
I was sitting here reading the "code of ethics" and thinking to myself under their definition, you would be hard pressed to find very many songs on the radio today that do comply.

oasis
01-15-2011, 10:14 AM
It's just another case of the government wanting to tell us what we can listen to and read. It's the same argument that is currently going on about banning the original text in Mark Twain's, Tom Sawyer.

Just because it uses a word that today is considered derogatory. They keep forgetting that this book was writen over 100 years ago, and that was the way of speaking back then. By changing it they seem to think they can change history. Yes it's not a nice word by today's standards. But once again listen to any rap song, and you will hear it 50 time! I just have a lot of trouble with censorship. It was ok 20 - 100 years ago so lets change it because we do not want you to listen to it or reasd it today. LEAVE it alone. You hear much worse just walking down the street listening to kids today!

Every walk down the street and see a kid with an Ipod on singing out load? Now that is offensive!!!!!

christine chittick
01-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Oooooh!! I guess I was not the only one who got fired up about this hahaha... It's funny I came across this here, as my facebook status is about this exact topic!!

Here are my exact words on the subject:

" It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. This song has been out for this long, and now someone is complaining about it? Are they for real?
Its gone too far."

"This song has been around since I was a kid. I remember my Uncle had the cassette tape, and I used to listen to it, and thats how I became a fan of Dire Straits. :) I don't have anything against Gays, ...but really, if they want to be accepted, they should accept the fact that there will always be people out there that disagree with their sexual preferences. It doesn't make them any less of a person in my books... but if they are going to start ranting and causing a scene about everything, less and less people are going to respect them and/or cause more negative attention upon themselves."

Call me a bad person or whatever, this is my opinion. I have gay friends, but they do not go on and on and on about what this person says or that. They are just like everyone else, except they have a different sexual preference, which does not bother me a single bit.

dpage466
01-17-2011, 09:03 PM
to be honest most people would not even have known the word was in there unless someone told them, such as this whole ordeal lol, I didnt even know it until i listened to it afterwards and really focused lol

Tremc
01-17-2011, 10:12 PM
If the government wants to ban a classic song like that then they should definitely be banning that ghetto gangster rap garbage. I don't see how songs with the "N" word, referencing drug use, or police murders, etc should be permitted in mainstream music stores.

trinity
01-18-2011, 01:20 AM
It isn't even as if the singer is suggesting that the "f" should be hurt, shouldn't be gay, or doesn't deserve his jet airplane, he's just jealous that this other guy has all that money and doesn't look like he works that hard for it.

gdh
01-22-2011, 10:30 AM
It isn't even as if the singer is suggesting that the "f" should be hurt, shouldn't be gay, or doesn't deserve his jet airplane, he's just jealous that this other guy has all that money and doesn't look like he works that hard for it.

To me, he does imply that he doesn't deserve it because he's a faggot. Otherwise, why mention it? Why wouldn't he just say "That little Michael, he's got his own jet airplane".

To me, I think everyone's missing the point. The CBSA is not banning the song. They're asking radio stations to play a censored version of the song during the daytime hours. As much as I like this song (and "locked in the trunk of a car", and "who are you", etc.), I don't want to get in the car in the daytime, and have my kids hear the words in these songs on the radio. This is not about stopping anyone from listening to what they want to, it's about protecting kids from learning things that they don't need to hear. I don't want to have a conversation with my 4 & 5 year old about what a faggot is, or what the other f* word means, just because I turned on the radio at the wrong time.

livkat
01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
gdh, there are many songs played during the day that are not appropriate for little ears. I find myself turning the volume down for every other song sometimes. So if there is going to be a big deal made about one song then they should do something about all the other music. It's bad enough that we as parent's have to sensor the internet and T.V, now we have to worry about getting in the car and hearing about a "hole in the wall a dirty free for all", and "take a dirty picture" Geesh, what happened to 'life is a highway", or "turn off the light's". lol.

rhiley_08j
01-22-2011, 08:25 PM
To me, he does imply that he doesn't deserve it because he's a faggot. Otherwise, why mention it? Why wouldn't he just say "That little Michael, he's got his own jet airplane".

People use those words on a daily basis without actually being used in a context towards sexuality. You should work on a construction site sometime and hear the guys "razzing" each other. It's all in fun, never meant as a truly hurtful comment.

As for sheltering our children... it is basically an impossible task. Personally I feel it is best to educate my children on what is proper and not what the media would lead you to believe is acceptable. Just because you see something on tv or hear something in music doesn't mean that is acceptable or appropriate. There is a time a place for everything, etc...

trinity
01-22-2011, 11:29 PM
I think he is making fun of the guy's so-called style- "with the earring and the makeup, hey buddy ,that's his own hair!" and saying he isn't really working, he's just singing and being a big flashy showoff, and so just for having that hair, he got to be a millionaire.