PDA

View Full Version : Diff between SPCA and ARL

adorabull
03-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I thought this might be of some use to people that think they are the same organization. cause there not.

The ARL mandate

The Animal Rescue League is a non-profit organization that provides rescue, temporary housing, care and assistance to stray and unwanted animals in our community. We do our best to find loving, caring and responsible Forever Homes for all of the animals in our care. We also attempt to educate our community about responsible pet ownership, the humane treatment of animals, and the importance of spaying/neutering your pets.The Animal Rescue League is a non-profit organization that provides rescue, temporary housing, care and assistance to stray and unwanted animals in our community. We do our best to find loving, caring and responsible Forever Homes for all of the animals in our care. We also attempt to educate our community about responsible pet ownership, the humane treatment of animals, and the importance of spaying/neutering your pets. www.saintjohnanimalrescue.com (http://www.saintjohnanimalrescue.com)

SPCA mandate

The New Brunswick SPCA maintains a staff of part-time Animal Protection Officers and Inspectors who investigate allegations of animal cruelty or abuse. Animal Protection Officers are legally empowered to enforce provisions for animal protection contained in provincial legislation (particularly the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (1997, C.27, S.1)) and in the Criminal Code of Canada.
In 2003, Inspectors responded to 1,969 calls, compared to 1,036 calls in 2001. This represents a 90% increase over a two year period. Actions taken after investigating a call are progressive in nature, from providing education initially, to issuing a compliance notice, to seizing an animal, to laying charges. In 2003, several investigations resulted in charges being laid, and convictions obtained under the Criminal Code.The New Brunswick SPCA maintains a staff of part-time Animal Protection Officers and Inspectors who investigate allegations of animal cruelty or abuse. Animal Protection Officers are legally empowered to enforce provisions for animal protection contained in provincial legislation (particularly the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (1997, C.27, S.1)) and in the Criminal Code of Canada.

The Saint John SPCA is a branch umbrella'd by the NBSPCA they are newly upcomming, and really need our support.
there website is www.saintjohnspca.com (http://www.saintjohnspca.com) or www.spca-nb.ca (http://www.spca-nb.ca) They dont even have a shelter here.

puppyluv
03-23-2007, 05:22 AM
But they are trying to get one going :)

adorabull
04-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Bumpity bumpers :)

harbourchick07
04-11-2007, 09:37 PM
you could almost look at it as if the ARL was started by a couple of people who loved animals and didnt want them homeless, and that the SPCA was something started in some place like in the states for the welfare of animals and just keep moving up north

adorabull
04-12-2007, 05:16 PM
you could almost look at it as if the ARL was started by a couple of people who loved animals and didnt want them homeless, and that the SPCA was something started in some place like in the states for the welfare of animals and just keep moving up north

The animal rescue league was an SPCA back in the days like 1910's, and bought out, next time you are up town right infront on city hall there is a monument which used to be a watering fountain for the horses. I think its been there for 125 yrs now. donated by these lovely ladies at the SPCA

The SPCA building now the ARL was built by a bunch of women who loved animals an was eventually bought out. Food for thought. :)

harbourchick07
04-12-2007, 05:22 PM
i think i have seen that fountion, not sure though i will have to look next time lol. but at least we know that not all animals are going homeless, i think the ARL should try to expand there building a little bit more, and they should make it more friendly,some of the people in there are very rude:mad:

dally
04-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't think they mean to be rude Harbourchick. It's just that they have to listen to so much crap in a run of a day they get tired. Between people bringing their animals in and other people returning an animal they adopted. I'm sure some have legitimate reasons for bringing in their animals but most don't in my opinion. I make routine visits to the League and I know I couldn't work there,my patience isn't that good anymore. lol

harbourchick07
04-12-2007, 08:50 PM
i was in there the other day and they told me i needed an adult with me to look at the dogs :confused: i know my profile says i am 17 but that was a mistake. i am 20 and i told them that ad they did not believe me, i had to go get my cousin and they told her the same thing, she told them to go *bleep* themselves and showed them her ID that said she is 22. next time i go in there i am taking my id to show them that i am old enough to go in there and look at the dogs and such. i was so annoyed, because later that day i watched a 12 year old walk in stay for about 25 minutes and then leave it was crazy.

dally
04-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Wow! That's weird I've seen teenagers in there before, they have teenagers that are volunteers for god sake. I could see them not allowing a 6 or 8 year old in without an adult but not a teenager, and to ask you for I.D. and not believe you when you told them you were 22. Unless they have some new policy since I was last there, it's been a few months now.

harbourchick07
04-13-2007, 09:06 PM
this girl was right rude. i gave her a dirty look. i know they have young volenters, a guy i know walked the dogs there. i havent been the arl for a while my self.