PDA

View Full Version : Make your own cat food?

Cherry Pop
03-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Does anyone know if you can make your own cat food? Like what would you use to put in it? I saw on TV tonight that one lady whose cat died is going to start making cat food for her next cat. I'm interested in trying to make my own because I'm a little worried about buying cat food now. I don't want anything to happen to my cat.

leaha2879
03-22-2007, 08:08 PM
do a web search on homeade catfood

CM
03-22-2007, 08:09 PM
I found this on the net.
Here's a healthy, homemade cat food recipe for Chicken Soup for Cats:

Boil a pound or two of chicken parts such as livers, hearts, and giblets in a pan of water on the stove. Or, use the same amount of boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead. Either one works fine, but the latter is more expensive to buy.

Boil the chicken until it's tender and is cooked thoroughly. Then, stir in a cup of steamed green beans. Add the mixture to your food processor or blender. Grind it up or turn it into a puree, whichever your cat prefers. Then, add enough chicken broth to make a soup, and serve.

Store any leftover Chicken Soup or other homemade cat food in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to a week. None of my cats like cold food straight from the refrigerator, so I place a serving of the food on a microwave- safe paper plate. I then nuke it on medium power for approximately ten seconds. (The exact time will depend on the wattage of your microwave oven.) The homemade cat food isn't hot, but it isn't chilly anymore either.

My Tuna 'n Egg Kitty Casserole is one of Kermit's favorite feasts. The ingredients are one can of tuna fish in oil- don't drain it- and a scrambled egg or two, depending on their size. Then, simply mix the tuna fish in with the egg and mix it together well.

Note: Does your cat have a problem with Diarrhea? If so, simply mix a cup of cooked white or brown rice into any of these recipes. The rice will help to bind their bowels and stop the problem naturally without giving them drugs.

Cherry Pop
03-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Thanks! I will also look on the net and if I find anything good I'll post it!

care1978
03-23-2007, 01:15 AM
there is a woman in the city who is making dog and cat food, all natural,human grade meat, not the ol' heads and hooves (so to speak), for a 8kg bag of cat food it is $16,a bit more for dogs... could find out easily enough, my friend is a dog groomer and they are selling it from their shop. i can get the woman's number who makes it, she also delivers at no extra cost. i believe you can get the different formulas such as ,hairball control,kitten,indoor cat...etc. lemme know if interested and i will get you the information ;)

MrsBeasley
03-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Since cats metabolisms and nutrition requirements are totally unlike most other mammals. For example they require high protein/low carb diets rich in the amino acid Taurine for their eyesight and require a specific urine pH so that they do not form crystals that causes FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease).

If you decide to feed a homemade diet to your kitty it is best to check with your Veterinarian. They should have recipies available supplied to them by their food companies, they can also get for you a vitamin/mineral premix to add to the diet if necessary. They would also be able to tell you some pros and cons to feeding a homemade diet.

For the health of your kitty, it's best to inform yourself with as much knowledge about homemade diets before just choosing recipes at random from the internet, remember the internet is so diverse, anyone can say they have a Ph.D and put something online when the really know nothing about the subject and you have no way of knowing who is legit.

jdcb
03-23-2007, 09:11 PM
A fair warning, MrsBeasley...

MrsBeasley
03-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Only looking out for all the kitties out there!

Cherry Pop
03-24-2007, 09:43 PM
I just don't ever want my kitty to die thanks to some big cat food company who cares more about making money than my beloved kitty cat.

MrsBeasley
03-24-2007, 09:56 PM
understandable, however I'm sure you also want to make sure your kitty gets the propper nutrients it needs to stay healthy.

Cherry Pop
03-24-2007, 10:04 PM
True. Thanks for the info!

adorabull
03-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Soft food all the time is soooooo bad for the teeth as well. there not like dogs who chew all the time. Human Turkey was recalled on friday. its just paranoia central really.

Cherry Pop
03-24-2007, 10:11 PM
I am paranoid right now cause I don't want to feed my kitty something that will kill him.

user5624
03-24-2007, 11:16 PM
I totally understand. I never feed my pets wet food (My cat's a female) I feed my dog Med-Cal food from the vet. My cat will be on that when she's done with her other food from Sobeys (Our Compliments)
I'm really curious about this home made food, let us know what you come up with? I know for dogs you can fry up hamburger, with cooked rice and tomatoes, but I have no idea reguarding cats.

babydoll2008
03-25-2007, 04:32 PM
:mad: :rofl: you crack me up you feed you cat our compleiments let me guess you think it is good. News Flash CORN CANNOT BE DIGUSTED BY THE OMNEFOR BODY THAT MEAN CATS AND DOGS! med-cal or what ever from your vet is good but a good food thats here in the maritimes is multi menu. i feed it to my ferrets, u can get it in both cat and dog and it cost about 60 dollars. there is nothing wrong with Iams and eukinubia hard food or the canned in fact it is only in the pouces because it is in the gravy. at first i thought it was maybe the aluminum and foil attacking the digustive track but its only a bad crop due to having to get it from another company Iams researchers have already proclaimed this. and reading on the other topic. i recomende dr.Giliss she is out on ml right know though.

user5624
03-25-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't care who you recommend, my vet is great. And my cat is healthy and active. Not dead within six months from poisoning. And NEWS FLASH! (Urgh please learn to type) that it's not just pouches of pet food that was contaminated, it was cans as well. If the members here do not feel comfortable feeding their pets food from these companies here after, that is their own personal choice. And I do not blame them one bit. As if I'm about to take advise from YOU about pet food lol. That cracked me up :P

MrsBeasley
03-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Only a dog is an "OMNIVORE", which btw does eat both meat and vegetables. A cat on the other hand is a true "CARNIVORE" which means it eats meat.

babydoll2008
03-25-2007, 05:50 PM
who cares about spelling ok seriously and it was found in the food with gravy in it unlike most people i listen to the news they did say it LOOKED like the wheat in the foods they did further test and found out that it was in the gravy they had received from a different company. if a serial code is dated for now the product is being taken off the shelve, if it has a later date (ig. feb.10) it is safe. nothing has happened to my cats and they have been on it all there lives (mostly hard) and the only large animal that is a omnivore is the bear if you place a salad in front of your dog with a raw T-Bone stack it would eat the steak. dogs and cats eat grass to vomit when they have upset stomach's. a dogs jaw structure the same as a cats they have teeth for ripping apart food. not chewing. i have been around animals all my live and i have been studying all my books even though i work with horse i still need basic dog and cat. oh and if your sure the dog is an omnivore ask your vet

babydoll2008
03-25-2007, 05:58 PM
* Pet food manufactures purchased food ingredients from a different country. rat poison is used in the field to keep rats and mice out of the wheat. these products have been pulled off the shelves serial numbers indicate the bad crops. further testing on ALL ingredients will be undergone before pet food is made* Was one the news earlier my father just told me. sorry couldn't help but tell him the dog story he even laughed and says that its a carnivore

user5624
03-25-2007, 06:03 PM
So you're trying to say, it's hard to read... that a dog only eats meat, only?? Funny, I've heard more then vet recommend baby carrots, apples as treats.. which is what my dog gets and it doesn't make her throw up.

I don't know, your lack of maturity in trying to get your point across, your lack of proper grammar and punctuation, hence making it hard to even understand you, and the way you insulted everybody, is making me doubt their willingness to listen to anything you say. Now welcome to the world of ignore.

babydoll2008
03-25-2007, 06:08 PM
BABY CARROTS AND APPLES!!!!! Girl your vets gone. Dogs will eat anything for pete sacks and its not good for them i know from experience. and my lack of grammar HA i have spell check on my computer its all right. im going next door now with a baby carrot to see if their dog eats it

babydoll2008
03-25-2007, 06:11 PM
i didn't have to go very far the dog was out chasing my chickens (thats meat) i offered her a baby carrot and she spit it out point proven know im going to go give her a raw hid bone and keep her immune system healthy you can feed your dog vegetables and kill it

MrsBeasley
03-25-2007, 07:16 PM
who cares about spelling ok seriously and it was found in the food with gravy in it unlike most people i listen to the news they did say it LOOKED like the wheat in the foods they did further test and found out that it was in the gravy they had received from a different company. if a serial code is dated for now the product is being taken off the shelve, if it has a later date (ig. feb.10) it is safe. nothing has happened to my cats and they have been on it all there lives (mostly hard) and the only large animal that is a omnivore is the bear if you place a salad in front of your dog with a raw T-Bone stack it would eat the steak. dogs and cats eat grass to vomit when they have upset stomach's. a dogs jaw structure the same as a cats they have teeth for ripping apart food. not chewing. i have been around animals all my live and i have been studying all my books even though i work with horse i still need basic dog and cat. oh and if your sure the dog is an omnivore ask your vet

Hmmm, keep repeating everything and you might actually start to believe it. I'm sorry you sound young and would believe anything your "friend the veterinary student" or "Rob" the petstore owner would say. I think when they can actually show me a diploma of some sort then maybe[/I] I might believe the baloney they're feeding you.

Again the type of food doesn't necessarily mean your animal will get kidney problems. There are two forms of kidney disease. One is acute kidney disease which has a sudden onset such as in the case of a poisioning or in the case of some dogs based to their breed they are predisposed to developing it, which means there is no way of preventing it. and The other form is Chronic Renal failure which comes with age and developes gradually over a long period of time.

Yes, Iams is a good food but it cannot guarantee your cat will not develop kidney disease any more than any other pet food. I know from experience, I had a cat who ate Iams (dry) ALL her life and she developed Chronic Renal Failure and lived for 5 more years after being diagnosed by being put on a reduced protein food from the animal hospital where I have worked for over 5 years as an animal Health Technologist by monitoring her blood levels of urea and creatnine and administering fluid therapy when her levels got too high. Finally at the ripe old age of 18 I had to euthanize her as it was then her time to go. (Btw the only reason she was diagnosed in the first place was I had taken her to work to have her teeth cleaned and ran the pre-operative bloodwork and found out the way).

So when I read you talking about kidney disease and it's caused by the food I have to laugh because you really know nothing about the subject at all.

MrsBeasley
03-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Oh and BTW
As Quoted from: http://dogsobediencetraining.com/info/learn_dog_wiki.htm

"Carnivore or Omnivore
The classification as a carnivore does not necessarily mean that a dog's diet must be restricted to meat alone. Unlike a true obligate carnivore, such as a cat, a dog is able to healthily digest a variety of foods including vegetables and grains, and in fact requires a large proportion of these in its diet. Wild canines typically get such nutrients from the stomach contents of their herbivorous prey, which they consume eagerly.

Dogs can survive perfectly well on a reasonably carefully designed vegetarian diet, particularly if eggs and milk products are included. On the other hand, dogs are natural carnivores, and the experience of extremely stressful conditions such as the Iditarod race, as well as scientific studies of similar conditions, suggest that under such extreme stress, high protein diets (which implies a lot of meat consumption) help prevent damage to muscle tissue."

Gee....... I wonder why they actually sell Vegetarian Diets for Dogs at the Vet Hospitals. Hmmmm maybe they can actually eat vegetables and be healthy!

Mandi
03-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Baby doll, you're contradicting yourself. You first said that dogs would eat anything, then said, 'point proven', the dog wouldn't eat a carrot....
Dogs can eat vegetables and grains and still be very healthy. Perhaps it is you who is wrong, or your 'vet'.

babydoll2008
03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
im sorry if all my information came from doctor Anne Gilles at the Saint John Animal Hospital as well as Hugh Barr a horse vet and many other vets. Corn cannot be digested by animals, including humans, it does pass through but does not break up. There is more types of kidney disease then what you have said. who cares if you were a vet technologist thats not a vet though is it. i have 3 cats and my friend has a ferret shelter doctor Gilles is the only vet i would ever trust in an emergency. no offense to those of you that go to doctor whittle at the same place but i have seen him tell people to give asprine to animals with ulcers i will be talking to Erin tomorrow in school and will get further information but i am an animal freak, and all i do on the internet is look for ways to keep my pets happy. the next thing your gonna tell me is feeding a horse sweet feed is bad. aside from getting my information from the vet i also am taking co-op there ( a program at the schools that gets students prepared for the work force) my animals see the vet regularly and if you wish to see a diploma from doctor Gilles your going to have to track her down as i said before she is out on maternity leave. i learned the hard way twice about feeding my pets food like friskies and whiskas my beloved cat Milo did die of Kidney Stones he was 12 and my dog Otis lost all control of his immune system from eating Alpo dog foods. Dogs get nutriance from eating meat. like humans an animal thats low in protein will get very sick. and i am one the phone with my vet as we speak. you say i sound young how young do you think i am? i can reassure you i am not 12.

Mandi
03-25-2007, 08:32 PM
you say i sound young how young do you think i am? i can reassure you i am not 12.
I'd consider myself young, and I'm 12, but, backwards.... >. >
How can you be sure that your animals died from your food choices? My grand mother fed her cats friskies, and one lived to be 19.

babydoll2008
03-25-2007, 08:49 PM
im a year and a half younger then you... so i know just as much. cats can live longer then 19... but for a dog to die at 6 1/2 almost 7 is young. he was a dobermin shep mix and was extremely active.. we took him to the vet and she said it was something to do with his organs, and his immune system was two week to fight it. we asked her about switching foods and she asked what he was on we told her and she said we should switch to a higher protein food. sadly it was to late and 3 days later we had to have him put down it took 4 people and 45 minutes to load him onto a truck. my cat was diagnosed with kidney stones and we put him down that day cause it was again to late for anything else.

Mandi
03-25-2007, 09:04 PM
im a year and a half younger then you... so i know just as much. cats can live longer then 19... but for a dog to die at 6 1/2 almost 7 is young. he was a dobermin shep mix and was extremely active.. we took him to the vet and she said it was something to do with his organs, and his immune system was two week to fight it. we asked her about switching foods and she asked what he was on we told her and she said we should switch to a higher protein food. sadly it was to late and 3 days later we had to have him put down it took 4 people and 45 minutes to load him onto a truck. my cat was diagnosed with kidney stones and we put him down that day cause it was again to late for anything else.

Just because we're close in age doesn't mean our intelligence is equivalent, not that it's important. Having two unfortunate incidents does not put the food solely to blame. I realize that cats live to 19 frequently but the average age is closer to somewhere between 12 and 15 years. Cats eat meat, dogs have a much more broad nutrition spectrum. I have a doctor who is telling me that unless you're working in construction/ a professional athelete you don't need more than one glass of liquid a day. Just because they have a profession doesn't make them right in saying one thing is right for everyone. Like people, some animals require more or less protein. one thing is not good for everyone.

babydoll2008
03-25-2007, 09:20 PM
:confused: your doctor told you you only need one glass of water a day ?????? thats not right im sorry but you need 8 glasses a day to stay hydrated. Yes athletes need more because they are working harder. After a workout my horse loses weight from being thirsty, after a long drink he is fine. I work out everyday in gym class my teachers thinks its boot camp she made us run the harbour passages on Friday, when i was done i had already went through one bottle of water, a bottle before gym and a bottle after wards after that i was fine. i think anyone will argue with you that one glass of liquid is not good. your body is 75% water,you need liquid to keep vital organs such the heart healthy.

Juls
03-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Babydoll you are just on here to argue with people. Calm down, go to bed, and get rested for school tomorrow. You are just a young girl with LOTS to learn. Do not act like you know everything because you have 'friends' who tell you things. Try to have an open mind about things and research before you comment. :) Stay in school too....english class is VERY useful! :P

BTW...saw your class heading for their jog on Friday...your gym teacher ROCKS!!

user5624
03-25-2007, 09:40 PM
So Cherry Pop, have any luck on your quest for information on making home made pet food?

care1978
03-26-2007, 01:03 AM
:mad: :rofl: you crack me up you feed you cat our compleiments let me guess you think it is good. News Flash CORN CANNOT BE DIGUSTED BY THE OMNEFOR BODY THAT MEAN CATS AND DOGS! med-cal or what ever from your vet is good but a good food thats here in the maritimes is multi menu. i feed it to my ferrets, u can get it in both cat and dog and it cost about 60 dollars. there is nothing wrong with Iams and eukinubia hard food or the canned in fact it is only in the pouces because it is in the gravy. at first i thought it was maybe the aluminum and foil attacking the digustive track but its only a bad crop due to having to get it from another company Iams researchers have already proclaimed this. and reading on the other topic. i recomende dr.Giliss she is out on ml right know though.
iams was recalled

twingirl2
03-26-2007, 03:30 AM
I must admit, this debate has been quite entertaining, yet painful to read at times~ if you get my drift~ Juls and Mandi, I know you do! Not quite sure where the horses come in~ isn't this about cat/dog food? MRS.BEASLEY, it sounds like you know your stuff! Babydoll, no one is denying your love of animals, however, your information (or mis-information) is like a bad game of chinese telephone~ the original message didn't make it all the way through...

MrsBeasley
03-26-2007, 05:33 AM

After re-reading this painful thread, I realized there was one thing that I overlooked. Don't these two statements contradict themselves (spelling mistakes put aside of course) or did I just read it wrong?

BTW: I wouldn't offer my dog a T-Bone because that's just dangerous and asking for trouble, and if I did, along with a side salad....my dog would clean the plate.

Cherry Pop
03-26-2007, 08:14 AM
So Cherry Pop, have any luck on your quest for information on making home made pet food?

I've found a few sites but nothing actually worth posting. Seems to be more receipes for making dog food.

user5624
03-26-2007, 08:18 AM
I've found a few sites but nothing actually worth posting. Seems to be more receipes for making dog food.

I talked to a vet student that I know, she was telling me it's risky. The best thing I think, would be to talk to your vet about it. They probably have a recipe or two on hand and can tell you everything to be careful for. Good luck in your quest! I can understand your desire to make your own food, at least then you know the quality of food your pet's eating.

Cherry Pop
03-26-2007, 07:38 PM
:confused: your doctor told you you only need one glass of water a day ?????? thats not right im sorry but you need 8 glasses a day to stay hydrated. Yes athletes need more because they are working harder. After a workout my horse loses weight from being thirsty, after a long drink he is fine. I work out everyday in gym class my teachers thinks its boot camp she made us run the harbour passages on Friday, when i was done i had already went through one bottle of water, a bottle before gym and a bottle after wards after that i was fine. i think anyone will argue with you that one glass of liquid is not good. your body is 75% water,you need liquid to keep vital organs such the heart healthy.

Not to start or keep an arguement going but the actual amount of "liquid" that is "recommended" that a human drink each day is 6 glasses of 8oz of "liquid". Liquid could be juice, ice tea,etc but the "recommendation" is water. The only reason I know this is because of my disease which has to do with the digestive system. Your colon is where all that liquid is stored and since I don't have one, I'm suppose to drink 8+ glasses a day but the average person is "recommended" to have 6. Some people need way less, some need more that is why it is "recommended".

babydoll2008
03-26-2007, 08:13 PM
but drinking one class of water a day is not good.. im diabetic and it sucks i have to loose weight and everything to control it.

maprince
04-03-2007, 01:08 AM
You could always do what my mother’s friend is doing. She is feeding her kitty high quality cans of salmon because she is also terrified of killing her kitty…Sorry, I am not actually suggesting to you to feed your cat salmon, I just think it’s hilarious that this lady won’t even stick with the store brand salmon @ .99 cents a can, instead she feeds him the $3 stuff.

adm
04-03-2007, 11:11 AM
MrsBeasley - I trust your advice. Is it really that dangerous to feed a dog a T-Bone? I gave both my dogs one last week, they love them :biggrin: . My understanding was that chicken bones are the most dangerous (I will never give them any bird bones) because of how they splinter, but cow and pig bones are OK. Am I misinformed?

Also - what about the ham bone that I'm looking forward to giving them this coming weekend?

BTW: I wouldn't offer my dog a T-Bone because that's just dangerous and asking for trouble, and if I did, along with a side salad....my dog would clean the plate.

Lemme_LQQK
04-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Most if not all beef bones splinter . I refuse to give my dogs bones even the ones made of rawhide and the ones you get that are smoked in the pet stores. I have seen many a dog get it caught in their throats and had to help dislodge it.
My dad was notorious for giving his dog beef, pork AND chicken bones , then one day my dad called me and said his dog was outta sorts, keeping to himself and doing very little moving around.
I asked dad what was wrong with BJ , he didn't know just that he'd been like that for 2 days , wouldn't eat , only drink.

Well he took BJ to the vet that day and low and behold he had a bone lodged sideways in his poor little intestine AND a small one in his throat,a pork chop bone and a beef bone. Both had to be surgically removed . I felt soooo bad for the poor wee fella.

Thing is dad always fed his dogs bones for yrs and nothing ever happened . I told him he was just lucky that's all.

I used to give my dogs those rawhide chew bones with the knot at both ends ( white + smoked) and the odd pigs ear. I soon stopped that in a hurry when one of my dogs had a piece (flap) of the chew bone stuck in her throat and couldn't swallow nor bring it up. I almost lost her, they get soooo slimy they stick . We opened her mouth and I managed to remove it .

Daughters dog ,a golden lab almost choked to death on the raw hide pigs ear that you buy from a pet store.

Nothing but soft treats for my dogs now, Beggin strips / Pup - a - roni that kind. Just they get so fat on them . lol I have a 7 yr old chiuhauha that's sposed to weigh max 6 pounds and he got up to 11 1/2lbs, looked like he was gonna explode, so I had to cut back on the treats...lol, poor guy checks the grocery bags every week when I come home then looks so sad as he walks away when he can't find his treats, ...lol

MrsBeasley
04-03-2007, 06:29 PM
adm,

Pretty much anything you give your dogs can pose a potential problem depending how agressive your dog chews - inhales etc. I've had to heimlich hubby's parents 4 lb yorkie due to wolfing down a piece of "Beggin' Strips".

It is not a good idea to give your dogs cooked leftover bones at all as they do splinter and not only can get lodged if they do bite off a good sized chunk. They also splinter into sharp points that may perforate the gut lining along the digestive tract and cause a serious infection in the abdomen called peritonitis which can seriously poison a dog in a relatively short period of time.

If you feel it necessary to feed your dogs bones, I would recommend the smoked or natural knuckle bones you buy from the petstores. Stay away from the "Femur" type bones (the long ones with the knobs on either end) as these have been known to shatter as well). The knuckle one, kind of resemble your knuckles when you make a fist. These bones are usually cooked at extreme temperatures and pressures that they tend to crumble as your dog chews instead of shatter and the pieces are relatively blunt.

One vet I used to work with used to give her dogs soup bones (raw). I have on occasion as a special treat given these to my dogs as well without problem as they tend not to shatter (until hubby hits them with the lawnmower ouch!). I tend to give them outdoors as they can be greasy with some fat and marrow. You just want to make sure they are not too fatty for a dog that my be susceptible to pancreatitis due to an overload of fat (overweight dogs are most susceptible). You can get these from the butcher, I know Sobeys usually has them.

Rawhide is ok as long as your dog doesn't chew off large hunks that can get lodged. Other soft chewy treats such as "Puperoni", "Beggin' Strips", even Pedigree "Dentabone" you'll want to give in moderation as they do contain high amounts of salt and fat.

Most of all only give your dog treats when you can observe them while they are chewing on them, never leave them unatended, and remove them when they get too small that they can pose a choking hazzard.

adm
04-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Thank you, Mrs Beasley (and Lemme_LQQK)

I appreciate your advice. I was under the impression that it's good to give your dogs bones to gnaw on during the day as it helps prevent boredom. (the cats also appreciate them being occupied :rolleyes: ) I guess I'll stop giving them T-bones (I hope they don't see this post!). I recently got some huge marrow bones from Olsen's that have been keeping them busy, and I have also on occasion brought home the ones from Sobey's. I find that they go through the soft treats in a matter of minutes (if not seconds) and I want something that will keep them occupied while I'm at work. I'll remember the knuckles and will avoid the femur treats from now on as well.

Thanks again!

MrsBeasley
04-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Just remember to give those soup bones raw, once you cook them they can splinter. Also stay away from the ham bone next weekend!

care1978
04-03-2007, 07:42 PM
just for advice, i used ot feed a cat of mine tuna reguarly, until the vet told me that once in awhile as a treat it is fine for cats but to feed them canned fish regularly isnt healthy, and can actually in some cases make them blind! just a heads up!

adm
04-03-2007, 07:48 PM
:eek: NO HAM BONE??

Ohhhhh - my poor puppy! I can hear them crying now! I think I might need to get them some therapy if we have ham and they don't get the bone! Raw soup bones it shall be from now on. Thank you again!

And how the cats will laugh and make fun of them.....:rofl:

Just remember to give those soup bones raw, once you cook them they can splinter. Also stay away from the ham bone next weekend!

Mercaties
04-04-2007, 07:28 AM
3 1/2 Cups of NN unbleached flour
2 Cups of NN whole wheat flour
1 Cup of Cornmeal
1/2 Cup of Skim milk powder
1 tbsp of dry yeast
3 1/2 Cups of chicken or meat broth, lukewarm

Cooking Instructions:

Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm chicken or meat broth. The richer this broth is the better your dog will like the biscuits. Let yeast broth mixture set 10 mins. Then stir in flour mixture. Roll resulting dough out 1/4" thick.
Cut dog buscuit shapes from dough (Bulk Barn has dog cookie cutters!).
Brush buscuits with egg wash. Bake on greased cookie sheets at 300 F for 45 mins.Makes 60 medium Size buscuits. Turn off oven and leave in over night. Or if you had more pans you can keep the cooked trays in a pantry and continue making buscuits.

In one night of my time, I made these for my dog, at the end of the night I had made a 5 gallon bucket full. And my Gosh I couldn't keep them in the house. My dog LOVED them!! This reciepy was passed down, but is 100% safe. I use to use this reciepy before the pet food recall, just to save money, but now its more then that......ITS SAFE... Please try the reciepy
and comment back to me with your results, and the reaction to them from your pet. I'd love to Hear all about it.
angel.beddow25@hotmail.com :D

Eremda
04-04-2007, 08:42 AM
I also feed my large boxer raw soup bones. Anything else I have found he can devour in minutes. They are relatively inexpensive and good for a hour or two of peace and quiet for you. I don't feed him the bone when I am not home just as a precaution in the event he may choke. I enjoy being able to sit down and watch TV or computer time without the dog pestering me to entertain him, so I save them for when I am home.

The Busy Bones or Dentabones say on the package "hours of chewing enjoyment" My dog finishes those off in a matter of minutes and thats $4 worth of treats gone, whereas the soup bones from Sobeys cost on average a $1 each, of course depending on the size, and are good for the evening. He doesn't seem to have any problems digesting them and we have had no problems with splintering.

rubycshells
04-05-2007, 03:00 PM
I have a dog that can only eat a special diet as he has renal failure. I did some searching on the net and found that I could take a can of his K/D and cut it into chunks and cook in a low oven. The pieces dried out and now he is able to have a nice crunchy treat.

I plan on doing this with the other guys food as well. He isn't on a special diet and I am going to make him treats as well. I may try the recipe that is posted earlier in the thread.

I gave my dogs the rawhide bones once until one started choking on it...never again.

babydoll2008
04-05-2007, 06:56 PM
when i had my dog i would take him to my parents house on christmas and other occasions (he loved it thats were he grew up) and we would feed him the left over bones but we ALWAYS left them in the fridge until they were cold usually about 2 days. when we left to go somewhere like my grandmothers he would lie on his rug or in his bed with my cat and share a raw hide bone with him. (yes my cat thinks he a dog) until we got home and he'd site at the fridge until he got his bone the next day most of the time he would eat some and bury the rest. just the other day i was helping my dad fix the front deck and we found 3 of his old bones. and a bunch of his toys, the neighbors newf. got the bones and ate them. i never worried about my dog eating bones because he new to chew his food we told him that from a puppy to chew his food. and he always did.. when i get my next dog i am planning on teaching him or her the same thing its so much cleaner and not as disgusting as hearing he smaking there food when they are standing there chewing it same with drinking, Otis was a very civil dog that new his manners lol.