PDA

View Full Version : Say it isn't so!

Doug James
03-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Well I had intended to talk specifically about Storm-Away-Norm’s State of the City address now that more details have been published. But, doesn’t the Mayor go and surprise me by announcing that he intends to run for re-election!?

According to McFarlane, Saint John has moved ahead tremendously in the last three years, presumably because of all his hard work. He goes on to cite a number of dubious statistics to prove his point, including the fact that the city’s unemployment rate is at a record low and the number of people on social assistance dropped from 8.2 per cent to 7.5 per cent. I’m not sure why he believes this is his doing, but he must have his reasons for thinking so. Lots to talk there but I’ll leave that for another day.

As for Canadian Business Magazine choosing Saint John as one of the top 10 best cities for business in Canada…twice now…anyone who understands how people or companies or cities get such great PR will be inclined to brush off the dubious honour as nothing more than the successful ‘spin’ that it is.

In his address, the mayor said the challenges for 2007 include out-migration, education, and recreation. You’ve got your priorities upside down, Norm, if you think new recreational facilities take priority over taxes, services and infrastructure. If ever there were a case of Nero fiddling while the city burned down around him, this is it. Storm-Away wants UNBSJ to field a football team. Does he expect you to pay for the facilities when, presumably, the city can’t even afford proper snow removal?

It will be very, very interesting to see now who challenges McFarlane for the Mayor’s job in 2008. According to the Telegraph-Journal, Deputy Mayor Michelle Hooten and Councillor Ivan Court are two possible contenders. There will be others, I assure you.

Doug James

sjer
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
I hope Mr. MacFarlane gets re-elected, he has done a tremendous job with this city.

As for Michelle Hooton offering for mayor? Please, she mine as well not even run, anyone who votes for her has serious problems. And Ivan Court? Let's not even go there.

Doug James
03-22-2007, 11:52 AM
I respect your position but could you provide some examples of what you think Norm McFarlane has done that is so tremendous?

Doug James

The_Dave
03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
sjer, surely you are joking. Stormy MacFarlane has done nothing but give tax breaks to big corporations and hid behind closed door meetings. Are you talking about Saint John NB or another city?? Nah you MUST be joking. Thanks for the laugh.

Cherry Pop
03-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Norm won't be getting my vote that is for sure!

Dan_Man
03-22-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm sure the Irvings will vote for Norm....

Mandi
03-22-2007, 01:12 PM
I hope Mr. MacFarlane gets re-elected, he has done a tremendous job with this city.

As for Michelle Hooton offering for mayor? Please, she mine as well not even run, anyone who votes for her has serious problems. And Ivan Court? Let's not even go there.

Ivan court... I was in his class for THREE courses in high school. So for my second semseter of grade twelve, I saw him a loooooooooooot. I may not like him as a person, (though he can be funny.) But politically he is a very smart man. AND He has a big mouth and doesn't mind saying when people are screwing up. I love that in a politician. One in particular, whom I miss. :(
I would have to say that if you stay with Norm though, you have problems.

magoosmomma
03-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Nope No Norm for me thanks

baseball 23
03-22-2007, 03:56 PM
i'll vote for Norm 10 times before i vote for court.
With Norm all the way!

Doug James
03-22-2007, 04:11 PM
You aren't considering the possibility of better candidates coming forward...