PDA

View Full Version : rent to own

eugeneb
11-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Does any one here know of any houses that are rent to own, after 6 years
in the apt. I live in the landlord said he wanted to do some reno work and
gave us 4 months to move,I have 4 babies ages from 3 yrs to 7 months
old. we need to find some where to live by the end of jan 2011.
i think it down right nasty that a landload has the right to put babies
out in the middle of winter.I asked if he would give me a little more
time and even offered more cash but he said no way, what a jerk.
So I could use all the help I can get from any one that wants to give
me some help.

rhiley_08j
11-15-2010, 06:21 AM
I know it's hard having to find a new place, especially after you have been somewhere as long as you have, but to be completely honest with you, I would say it was pretty fair of you landlord to give you 4 months notice, considering he only had to give you 3.

Best of luck to you!

Jilly-Bean
11-15-2010, 07:54 AM
eugeneb; I guess the key here is what type of reno. the landlord is doing. The renos have to be significant in nature.(I guess that may be open to interpretation) Your notice has to be in writing giving the reason for the notice. You can dispute the notice by contacting the rentalsman within (I believe) 15 days of receiving the notice. Good luck.:)

rhiley_08j
11-15-2010, 08:26 AM
No offense but you would be wasting your time complaining to the rentalsman. A landlord does not have to give you a reason for asking you to vacate the premises. A landlord's only requirement is to provide you with adequate notice, which is in this case, if you are a tenant for more than 5 years you must be given a 90 days notice.

Jilly-Bean
11-15-2010, 08:55 AM
No offense rhiley, but the laws regarding landlord/tennant have in fact changed and a reason for notice is now required. You can check out the changes on the government website. :)

mizunderstood
11-15-2010, 02:55 PM
I think your landlord was very kind giving you 4 months notice.
Is it not possible to get a mortgage right now? Rather than try to find a rent to own (which are few and far between, and often times harder to get) why not look into getting a first time home owners mortgage? I know there are some great programs out there to help families.
Call social development and ask about their mortgage program. No interest mortgages up to I think it is 40 or 50K. A great program from what I have heard of it

rhiley_08j
11-16-2010, 02:38 PM
No offense rhiley, but the laws regarding landlord/tennant have in fact changed and a reason for notice is now required. You can check out the changes on the government website. :)

Yes your right, the notice does have to have a reason on it, but, it doesn't really matter what the reason is. The fact of the matter is, it's private property, and if the owner wants to regain possession of it he/she can do so as long as they give you sufficient notice.

Jilly-Bean
11-16-2010, 03:10 PM
And you can then dispute the notice. Thanks for saying I was right. :)