PDA

View Full Version : Minimun Wage in Ont

lovingmom
03-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Did anyone here that the minimun wage was going up in Ontario to like $10 an hour? .This province sucks for jobs and paid wages..People are so worth more than what they are paid.The premier sits high and mighty and gets paid alot,then the Prime Minister and his cabinet get paid alot but we the little people never seem to be able to get ahead.There is something wrong with that picture

orange
03-21-2007, 08:31 PM
I think min. wage probably should be a little higher here, but in Ontario, the cost of living is far more

Even in the boonies near Ottawa or Toronto, a house that would cost $100,000 here will cost $300,000 there. And if it's actually in Toronto, Ottawa, or another city, it will cost even more.

And rents are much higher too...

The PM and MPs don't make a huge amount for the work they do... it's such an important job, and it's also basically 24/7, and they always have people complaining to them about one thing or another, get criticized in the press, made fun of, etc. I wouldn't want their job :)

Mandi
03-21-2007, 08:31 PM
What's the cost of living in Ontario? I have to agree though. people are worth much more than $7 an hour.

The_Dave
03-21-2007, 08:33 PM
The cost of living from province to province will dictate what the minimum wage will be.

trinity
03-21-2007, 08:41 PM
I do agree, when we lived in Vancouver we paid $350 MORE than here for the same sized apartment as what we have here, and we were considered to have found a GREAT bargain for $900. They also charge like 20-25$ per day to park downtown, some groceries are a little more too.

guitarz
03-21-2007, 08:44 PM
We just moved from Smiths Falls Ontario back to NB, our rent in Ontario was less than what we are paying here, we had a 3 bed victorian home there, also the groceries are a lot cheaper there than what I pay here in NB

The_Dave
03-21-2007, 10:12 PM
If I am not mistaken, taxes are less expensive in Ontario also.

Cherry Pop
03-21-2007, 10:42 PM
I've been to Hamilton, Ontario alot the last few years and I found things are the same price or even cheaper there. Milk is cheaper. Going to Tim's for a meal is cheaper. Groceries are cheaper. So I'm not sure I understand the whole it costs more to live there. Cause what I could tell it costs the same or less.

orange
03-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Housing still costs far more in Ontario

I can see why a little town like Smiths Falls would have low-cost housing. But they probably have a higher unemployment rate than SJ too, as a result of higher min. wage

And in Toronto, Ottawa, and other cities, a house that would cost $100,000 here will cost $300,000 to $500,000 there... and naturally, rents will be more too when really compared.

Cherry Pop
03-21-2007, 10:57 PM
One might pay a bit more in rent but would be paying the same or less for the other basic necessities for life. I don't think just because you pay a little more for rent that minimum wage should go up that much more. I mean some apartments around here are a lot of money as well especially if you want a really nice one or even a half decent one! Yet minimum wage is really low here. I find that a lot of minimum wage jobs you have to work harder for your pay than you do at higher paying jobs. I've had both and there is always way more work to do at minimum wage jobs. My first higher paying job, I was shocked at how little was expected of me. I hardly had to work. Of course me being who I am worked my butt off but it really made me think about the difference in jobs and wages and whats expected of you at each level.

orange
03-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Well, I know someone whose rent's $735 per month for a 400 square foot "bachelor" apartment in Ottawa. Nice building, but still... SJ is much cheaper :D

I know someone else who pays $1100 per month for a "small 1 bedroom" apartment in Toronto.

Cherry Pop
03-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Any city you can find cheap and expensive apartments. I know of a really nice but really small bachelor apartment here going for $500. So wow buddies apartment was only $235 more. Yet groceries, gas, etc. are cheaper there. So while he pays $235 more on rent, we pay well over that on other necessities. Sorry but I still don't buy the it costs more to live there!

orange
03-21-2007, 11:14 PM
But the thing is, in SJ that $500 rate is unusual. In Ottawa, it's just average

I visited a while back, and his apartment isn't even downtown... he told me the ones he did see downtown in the same price range were terrible

The better transit systems in Ontario cities do make up for a lot, since in SJ it's hard to not have a car.

But I think cost of living is still more for most people.

sjchickie
03-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Personally I love Ontario and the GTA(greater toronto area) I lived there for close to 3 years and I am going to go back next year. Yes the rent is higher, but economically the province is more sound. Taxes are lower, insurance is lower, grocerys are lower,cigs if thats important. Minimum wage is higher but people are oh so concerned about rent but really SJ is going up up up. 850 for a 2 bedroom uptown unless you wanna live in a dirty place. So why not go to toronto pay 1000 for a beautiful 3 bdrm with all the amenities. As for housing DONT live in the city live in vaughn,oakville,milton,malton. expensive but beautiful communites and great places to raise kids. There is more jobs,more to do, better transit systems, more access to better quality schools for children, however i do NOT think minium wage is 10$. When i worked there it was 9 something i believe but ti depends if your a high school kid its much cheaper. NB is getting RIDICULOUS..thats just my opinion but politically speaking this province is in a mess and it will be sad to see many of us go in the next couple years. Im sick of living where IRVING runs sh*t...

dittydottie
03-22-2007, 07:47 PM
hey guitarz nice place you came from(smiths falls)I visited there in Feb and I guess we must have purchased too much chocolate because they are now closing down the chocolate factory.

Cherry Pop
03-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Chocolate factory?! I would definately work in a chocolate factory! Forget minimum wage, I'd work in one for free, lol!

dittydottie
03-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Hey maybe that is what happened:all the employees ate the factory out of business! lol

girdy
03-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Small world, I grew up in Perth, 12 miles from Smiths Falls. Definitely low rents there, it's a town in a lot of trouble job-wise, and has been for years. Hersheys is shutting down, and the large institution for handicapped people closing. Between the two, something like 1,500 jobs lost in a year in a place of 10,000 people.

Krash
03-22-2007, 09:04 PM
actually the cost of living in Ontario is fairly cheap. in some places. i went to Toronto for 2 months and it cost me $400 a month to rent out a nice bachelore apartment. and i was a 5 minute walk from uptown

dittydottie
03-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey girdy was there to. We went to Clayton(Mississippi Mills) Country roads but very snowy at the time.Bet ya it is nice in the summer.