PDA

View Full Version : water in my basement


beretta
03-20-2007, 11:04 AM
I woke up sunday morning to find water in my basement, I have a sub floor and the water was high enough for it soak into the ply wood on the floor and then soak my carpets. my insurance company is not going to cover it(BIG SURPRISE). They say that it was from water seapage through the corners of the foundation. I have 3 dehumidifiers running and I have begun to rip up the carpet. What I was wondering is is there something I shoud be spraying down to make sure that no mold grows? Any info is appreciated....

Thanks
Tom

shadoww
03-20-2007, 11:29 AM
We went through this exact thing 2 years ago on May 1st when we had that big rainfall, we actually believe it was because the city was on our street blowing out pipes and when they blew out a blockage 3 houses flooded who have never flooded before ever! The water came in the drain in our floor, which we now have a plug put in so that water can only go out not come in we got from Kents for 15.00.The city would not take responsibity and our insurance wouldnt cover it either!! We had one of the companies in that does water damage clean up and they tried to tell us it was going to cost 30,000 to repair it, even though it only cost us 15,000 to finish the basement.
Several people told us the subfloor would have to be taken up but we just couldnt belvie that had to be done so I ended up calling my brother in law who has built many houses, he said they were crazy if this was the first time this has happened we dont need to do that because the floor is insulated with styrofoam and styrofoam does not retain water. He told us to cut some big holes right through to the cement and remove thsoe sections of floor, then set up a few big fans around as well a cpl dehumidifiers to dry it out for a cpl weeks. Also we were told to get some TSP to spray everywhere. My husband also had to cut off the bottom of the walls and remove all the wet insulation. It was alot of work but we saved the whole basement thank God!! Our insurance came back to inspect it as we worked to make sure there was no mold growing and they were very happy with the job we did. We had to replace all the flooring as well.

Good Luck!

beretta
03-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks shadoww for your reply. See thats what i thought...there had to be a way to save some of it. I was planning to pull up all the plywood and try and dry everything out with fans and dehumidifiers. So what is this TSP you are referring too?

shadoww
03-20-2007, 12:17 PM
It is a chemical that will kill mold, someone had said to use bleach but I looked on the CMHC website and it is what they recommend to use.

Check out this link it has the info there.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/yohoyohe/momo/index.cfm

mommahas2babies
03-20-2007, 08:33 PM
spray nine works miracles too to prevent mold and bacteria.