PDA

View Full Version : Why does my cat hate being brushed?

Cherry Pop
03-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I can never brush him. He totally freaks out. I do it gently but still he freaks. I need to brush him cause he is shedding all over my bed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tara
03-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Yep, shave him...then he won't shed anywhere:rofl:

Cherry Pop
03-19-2007, 08:59 PM
lol except he'll freak when I pull out the razor!

Mandi
03-19-2007, 09:26 PM
My kitty hated being brushed too. I always just gave him a bunch of treats when I wanted to brush him / clip his nails, and worked really really quickly. lol I had a fat kitty after a while needless to say, but it worked for me. Probably not the most practical solution. Good luck.

Cherry Pop
03-19-2007, 09:58 PM
I never thought about giving him treats. It's such a simple solution too. I feel dumb now! Oh well, thanks! I will try that and see how it goes. He lets me clip his nails no problem but I have to do them with human baby nail clippers. That is the only way he lets me clip them. He hates cat nail clippers.

Mandi
03-19-2007, 10:07 PM
I never thought about giving him treats. It's such a simple solution too. I feel dumb now! Oh well, thanks! I will try that and see how it goes. He lets me clip his nails no problem but I have to do them with human baby nail clippers. That is the only way he lets me clip them. He hates cat nail clippers.

LOL! my kitty was a little glutton, so it was the most obvious idea for me. I swear you could probably wax him as long as he had food in his face he'd be ok with it.

CM
03-19-2007, 10:24 PM
What about one of those gloves that help with the shedding, it feels like you are patting the kitty, but it has a rubber part on the inside part of the glove so it grabs the hair. That might work for you as well.

Cherry Pop
03-20-2007, 12:12 AM
What about one of those gloves that help with the shedding, it feels like you are patting the kitty, but it has a rubber part on the inside part of the glove so it grabs the hair. That might work for you as well.

where can you buy these? I've never heard of them. Can you buy them at pet stores? My kitty loves to be patted!

kodiak_girl2001
03-20-2007, 08:06 AM
hehe....I have tried the glove & the treats! Neither work for my cat. He hissis & bits & scratches.......I have to get hubby or daughter to hold him down & then try. I took him to a groomer a few times cause I just couldnt get the knots out. He has very long hair & is a huge kitty ( 22lbs) so its hard for us to hold him down for long. The groomer is awsome & only charged me $5. Worth it !!! lol

CM
03-20-2007, 10:21 AM
kodiak_girl2001, what groomer do you go to that only charges you $5 ? My cat will let me brush him, but when I get near the mats, he bites me. Mine is a big boy too and long haired. Ours is 2 1/2 and 16 lbs.
Cherry Pop, you can buy these gloves at most pet stores and I would check at Walmart too. You may find them cheaper there.

kodiak_girl2001
03-20-2007, 10:27 AM
This is bad but I cant even remember the name of the place. But I can tell you exactly where it is.....Its in Quispamsis, off of the Vincent road across from the daly's store. Just go up that street & you'll see it its on the left hand side. I think she charges $15 - $20 if the knots are skin deep.

Mandi
03-20-2007, 10:28 AM
where can you buy these? I've never heard of them. Can you buy them at pet stores? My kitty loves to be patted!

You can buy them at walmart :D

Cherry Pop
03-20-2007, 10:51 AM
ok I'm going out today or attempting to go out today so I will look for one. My cat has short hair but he is going through a really bad shedding phase. It is getting all over my bed and all over the place.

CM
03-20-2007, 09:14 PM
I have seen them there before, they look like a gardening glove, but have the flexible rubber on the inside of the glove. They are very neat.

shoona
03-21-2007, 08:38 AM
I give my cats someting to play with!!

krista25
03-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi!
We got this for our cats this past Christmas.
You can put cat nip in it and your cat rubs and grooms itself on it. It really gets rid of alot of cat hair. There is also a spot to massage their gums. My cats love it, one actually was drewling all over it while he was rubbing around his face, while our other cat was rubbing on the other side. We got it at Wal-Mart for $20 I think.
Hope this helps! Here's a pic....

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/Krista_25/CatToy.jpg

Cherry Pop
03-23-2007, 10:07 AM

I couldn't find these at walmart.

CM
03-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Oh that sucks, I know I saw them there before. I know the big pet store over by the race track sells them. I know someone that used to work there and she bought them for her two cats. If that is any help. Sorry about the Walmart tip.

hyjack
03-24-2007, 04:12 AM
well according to my Princess Fiona those scrathers that you put on the corner of walls take that off the base and try that my baby loves it and she comes to me now when she thinks she needs to be brushed.