PDA

View Full Version : My daughter poured milk on her mattress

Lisa_morris
03-19-2007, 08:46 PM
My 2 1/2 year old daughter decided it was a good idea to pour her milk on her bed. I had washed it off (or so I thought) and now it stinks. I had to put it in the basement and give her an older one I had. The mattress is really nice and very new and I dont want to have to throw it out. Does anyone know if I can get the smell out of it and how?

Tara
03-19-2007, 09:17 PM
I dont have an idea for that but I just wanted to let you know that I bought plastic mattress covers at walmart for my kids beds and they fit over the whole mattress. If you end up having to throw it out I would recommend getting one as it would save on buying a new mattress and keeping it from getting ruined. They're extremely cheap, only 8 plus tax for the twin and I think about 11 or 12 plus tax for the double.

toodles
03-20-2007, 07:47 AM
now i would be the one to try and use steam cleaner on it..let it dry and spray lot of fabreeze on it....don't know what anyone else would do in this situation.

Lemme_LQQK
03-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Since you already have the mattress in the basement you could inject an odor eliminator of some sort into the spot and surrounding area , waita couple of days and do it again , about 3 or 4 times until the sour smell is no longer there also try pinning fabric softener sheets on the spot and surrounding area as well .

I had to do that with the back seat of my car once , it had light grey velour seats , I bought oil for an oil change for the car , I laid the bag of oil on my back seat ( 5 L's ) anyway the caps on 3 of the bottles had come open somehow and there was no protective seal under them. Thus I had on heck of a mess of an oil soaked seat.

The oil company that produced the product refused to clean my seat staing I should've checked the bottles prior to buying , anyway I washed with sunlight soap, that didn't help much so I went to my local pharmacy and bought a large hypodermic syringe and bought a bottle of strong liquid odor freshener. It took 2 weeks of injecting and drying but it worked , no more heavy oil smell in the car..
If u can't get a syringe at the pharmacy ( tell them what u want to do with it) u should be able to get one at the Pet Corral on the golden mile they used to have them there for horses and cattle ect.

Sorry this was so lenghty . Hope this helps. Good Luck . Another thing u might try , call a local cleaning company" S M ", they may be able to help u out or sell u a neutralizer/ deodorizer.

Misty589
03-21-2007, 06:10 PM
if you know someone with a bissell "little green machine" they work great. If you're not broke like me you could buy one at walmart for about 80 dollars it would be a great investment if you have a 2 year old i'm sure you'd use it much more than this once