PDA

View Full Version : very frustrated at the hospital

smith
03-19-2007, 08:46 AM
i'm very frustrated right now at the hospital because my son won't keep his formula down at all he's losing weight and they keep on telling me it's the way we are feeding him . then they tell me he needs an operation so right now i have no clue on what to do any more does any body else suggeted any thing for me i'm just tired of getting the run around now . maybe i should just bring him home and deal with it my selfe but i know it's the best place for him right now i think but now i'm getting to wonder.

ChelorSean
03-19-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm sorry your going through this and i hope things get turned around for you and your poor baby.i sorry i don't really have any advice see that i have never had to deal with all that stuff but you and your son are in my thought and prays.good luck and keep posting it might help you release some of the stress

jackj
03-19-2007, 10:03 AM
how old is your baby? It could be that he's allergic to the formula, and it could be that he does need an operation. I have a friend that when she had her son he was doing the same thing, and he ended up having an operation. In infants there a condition (i cant remeber what its called ) where they have to operate because it has something to do with their stomachs or the muscles that keeps their food down. But to be honest with u the hospital is prob the safest place for your baby to be right now, they can nourish him with fluids by IV so he doesnt get dehydrated. (this is just my opinion ) i know how frustrating the hospital can be, (been there, done that) but really they are just trying to find out what the best solution is for your child (sorry, im not trying to sound like i'm telling you what to do, just trying to help :) ) Hope all works out for you and baby, keep us updated on him :)

smith
03-19-2007, 10:20 AM
he's only a month old he's on a precription for milk now to and he's still the same we already tried other formulas as well to.

artemisrane
03-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Do you have a family doctor for your son? This seems very serious since he is so young. The best thing for you is to probably stay at the hospital. You need to be very assertive and demand to know what is going on and what your options are. This is your precious bundle of joy and you need to find out all of the information you can.

If the doctor's are not fourthcoming I believe there is some type of patient services where you can address issues such as this. Research all of options for your baby. Ask them about the IWK services in halifax.

I am very sorry to hear you have to go through this, but there is no need for you to be in the dark. I was young when I gave birth and the nurses and doctor's pushed me around and treated me like I was a kid who didn't know what was best for her baby or wasn't capable of understanding. Make sure they know that this is not the case. Do it in a respectful, yet assertive way.

care1978
03-19-2007, 12:05 PM
my oldest son had trouble holding down the similac formula,is this what you are using? i know alot of children actually that have problems with that formula, i changed my oldest son to the nestle good start and he seemed to adjust fine after that, i can totally relate to how you are feeling right now, i felt the same way at the time. i hope this works out for your baby and you, keep us updated please ,and take care!
does he have an esophogus problem, bc my friends little one wasnt holding her food down at all and it turned out that her esophogus, wasnt opening or closing, cant really remember which one, she did have to have a tube, but only while she was an infant ,and now she is a healthy happy little girl. i hope this isnt the case with yuor little one, but it may be something you might want to run past the doctor. Good Luck!

artemisrane
03-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Goodstart seems to be the best. I used it with all my children and many of my friends had to switch. My youngest would drink anything, but his siblings were more sensitive. I hope it is something just as simple as finding a good formula.
Good luck and take care

care1978
03-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Goodstart seems to be the best. I used it with all my children and many of my friends had to switch. My youngest would drink anything, but his siblings were more sensitive. I hope it is something just as simple as finding a good formula.
Good luck and take care
i agree i think goodstart isnt as heavy, so infants are able to tolerate it more easily.

andrea
03-19-2007, 01:05 PM
who is your doc looking after him?
not that it matters,,every ped doc up in regional kno what they are doing and are great,,,
have faith in them,,let the baby stay at hospital,,they will make sure he doesnt get worse
are they sending you to iwk?
if so contact me,,i can help u with that..
stayed their for a while..
dont be afraid they kno exacally what they are doing..
some times it takes a bit to find out whats happing with a child because they are so small
have faith,,the docs kno what they are doin!!
kids bounce back so easily that it some times feels like they were never sick...!!!

smith
03-19-2007, 05:32 PM
just to let everybody know he has a bad case of acid reflux. he's losing weight so they may but him on another type of precription formula.

mustang5lboy
03-19-2007, 06:19 PM
hey there. i see you had said you've tried different kinds of formula but have you tried the soya formula? a friend of mine just had a little girl in january that kept bringing her formula up after eating so she switched her to the soya stuff and she's doing great now. just a thought for you to try if you haven't already. i hope your little one gets better soon.

babydoll101
03-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Is it this? http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/digestive/pyloric_stenosis.html

My daughter had it and had to have the operation. It was a very difficult time although she is going through much worse now. Believe me your baby will get better with the opperation and live a happy life eating everything.

mommahas2babies
03-31-2007, 10:35 PM
We ended up putting our daughter on aliumentum it is soy free, lactose free and she did great on it.. no more throwing up, no more weight issues.. maybe something to ask ur dr about it is available through publich health free! IF u have to buy it it is 8.00 for 4 cans! Sounds like he might have reflux? IF he does have to have surgery the drs are great! And as Andrea said it does take time with babies since they are so small.. have faith but dont let them keep u in the dark! Best of luck!

dittydottie
03-31-2007, 10:45 PM
You said they told you it was because of the way you were feeding him. Have any of them tried to feed him? Have they got the same response? I don't like it when they make people look stupid or abusive without seeing everything for themselves.