PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment Benifits

lovingmom
03-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Does anyone know how many hours one needs to draw unemployment for the 2nd time and also is it faster to do it online or in person?

Jay&Aly
03-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Its 900 in SJ..... 400 in Freddy... that I don't understand

shoona
03-18-2007, 10:59 AM
it depends on how long you have been off it if it has been less then 2 years you need 700 i think thatt is what it is in Rothesay..they say it is different in some places?

The_Dave
03-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Its approx. 900 and some hours to open a new claim and about 500 to 600 to renew a claim within a 2 year period I believe. Best to go to their office or website and get the info.

Mandy
03-18-2007, 01:45 PM
I am not sure how many hours are needed.

I do know that it is easier to file online. It takes the same amount of time either way, because it is the same thing. Either you do it at home at your convience, or you go there, wait in line, hope someone serves you, and let them do it.....so if you have the option to do it from home, I would.

You can file each week online too, which makes it nice.

Good luck.

jeffwilson0
03-18-2007, 01:46 PM
http://srv200.services.gc.ca/iiws/eiregions/uirates.aspx?eiecon_nu=07

That link shows 700 for a first time claim. I didn't find anything for a 2nd time applying within 2 years.

If you go to do it in person, they get you to sit at a computer and fill out the forms online, at the same site that you would do it from home, so save yourself the trip. When you apply, I believe they have 4 weeks to make a decision, and most times from my experience, they take the whole time.

When you fill it out from home, just have to take your ROE in to the office still. Apply immediately even if you don't have your ROE from your employer, that way you will get your benefits quicker if you qualify.

Also, here is the link for the FAQ:

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/ei/types/regular.shtml#Qualifying

Lemme_LQQK
03-18-2007, 04:21 PM
When got laid off 3 yrs ago ,i drew ui for a short period of time, 11 weeks.
I asked why so short ,I had worked at my job for 4 1/2 yrs ( made 7.25 per ) they told me that the lenghtyness of ones claim depended on the population of the area the recipient lived.
IE: the bigger the city the more available the jobs , the shorter the claim. The smaller the location the longer the claim stays open due to less opportunity for work.

Now I know what you're thinking , I thot the same thing, and I told them that was not in any way fair.
She told me it was fair and that was the way they do it, and she ended the conversation with "I don't know why you people think this is your money , it's not. It belongs to the gov" .

I said , "well lady you go scrub floors and clean toilets and have EI stamps deducted from your pay and then YOU tell me it's not your money and that you didn't work for it.
I was sooooooo Pi**ed I was breathing flames when I left.

So good luck to ya , hope you fare better than I did.

lovingmom
03-18-2007, 04:35 PM
I just want to thank you all for your help.I will pass this all on to our daughter.Thanks again:)

artemisrane
03-19-2007, 12:24 PM
If you go to the center they are going to make you do it on their computers anyways and it is basically the same thing as what you can do at home. I'd say the fastest way to do it would be online and then go in that day with your papers and submit them. There is a number you can call and keep bugging them about when your claim will be ready. The worst is when they "forget" about you or "misplace" something and then you have to wait longer.

artemisrane
03-19-2007, 12:25 PM
I just noticed someone gave you the exact same advice...sorry lol

DA1983
03-20-2007, 07:15 AM
If you go to the center they are going to make you do it on their computers anyways and it is basically the same thing as what you can do at home. I'd say the fastest way to do it would be online and then go in that day with your papers and submit them. There is a number you can call and keep bugging them about when your claim will be ready. The worst is when they "forget" about you or "misplace" something and then you have to wait longer.

They are the worst for forgetting and misplacing! I recently had to go on medical leave from work and it took them a month and a half to reactivate an old claim. Then I ended up needing additional weeks and had to open a new claim and they took a month to tell me that suddenly they couldn't find my recent roe. I took it up again and they said it would take a week or two to process which would have been ok. But it took alot longer to process! I JUST got what was owed to me from the new claim TODAY! And just to point out how long that took I went back to work YESTERDAY!
The goverment is really slack when it comes to this division. Apply ASAP as soon as you know your going out! You have a month from when your claim goes in to get your paperwork in (roe etc) Keep calling them! Keep on them! Oh yeah and if they say youll get a call back KEEP CALLING they never call back!
Best of luck to your daughter with this!

The_Dave
03-20-2007, 11:52 AM
The length of a claim depends on the unemployment percentage rate in your area. The lower the rate, the shorter the claim, the higher the rate the longer the claim. Population does not come into effect.

mommahas2babies
03-20-2007, 06:38 PM
I j ust applied for EI for the second time in 2 years and I needed 600 hrs. It doesnt matter whether u apply online or in person because either way u end up going through the computer system.. I applied on the 14th of feb and just got my EI today...