PDA

View Full Version : Antique bottles...

T4
07-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I have some antique bottles and would like to find out their worth. Where would I take them? I have one that is from 1840 and another from 1927, also an aqua blue mason jar.

Vix
07-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I have some antique bottles and would like to find out their worth. Where would I take them? I have one that is from 1840 and another from 1927, also an aqua blue mason jar.

Hey T4 if you find out someone that can help you, can you pass the info onto me, if that's ok. We have a bunch of old bottles as well and would be cool to know. Last year we took few extra's we had to the sussex flea market and just put a cheap $2 a bottle on them each not knowing their worth and 1 guy talked my dad down to .50 for one and dad said yes of course just thinking their worthless, and after the guy took the bottle and gave dad the .50 he blatantly said to dad thanks this baby is worth $250 and left.....What really made me mad was that he tried to talk dad down....like the nerve of some people....needless to say if I knew what the guy looked like I'd have a few words for him :|

T4
07-30-2010, 11:33 PM
OMG!! That's horrible!! That's why I want to find someone who is "reputable", a friend suggested Tim Issac so I am going to take a few to him and see what he has to say. Have you already done that? If so, was he of any help?

Bill
07-31-2010, 07:29 AM

Old bottles for the most part don't have much value, in particular medicine, mason, milk etc bottles usually have very little value. the ones that seem to hold value better are the stone ginger beer bottles but even those can be had on ebay for 20 - 40 dollars..... there are a number of websites that will do appraisals for you. Here is one such site:

http://www.antiquebottles.com/appraisals.html

Keep in mind "book Value" is just that a book value as in most things the reality is its worth exactly what someone is willing to give you for it........

Bill

T4
07-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the link Bill, I am going to check it out. I did find one of my bottles and it's worth is 50.00 US..., I can't wait to look at the site you sent.