PDA

View Full Version : I killed another Fish

B1@ck W1d0w
03-16-2007, 10:01 PM
okay looks like I'm going to the pet store again in the morning.
I somehow killed yet another fish.. I think this could be #12 might be more. If I pay 9.95 or over they die, the cheapie ones live forever.
I am giving up on using all the extra cleaning crap too. that keep the tank clean. next day or two mine is slime looking.
This time i took the shopvac to clean it, but the fish were all still there. until after supper
Anyone have any advise? other Than bringing home another kitten or puppy to add to the ones I already have, or a rat,, that might be an idea i like those ratballs then they can all play together..,, or whatever seems to look like it could use a huge playroom.
Okay now what...

CM
03-16-2007, 10:28 PM
What kind of tank do you have? What kind of filtration? And what kind of fish are you buying? How long did you have this fish before it died? I myself have a fish tank, and have it enjoyed it for many years. Have had some setbacks as well. I would be more than happy to shed some light or give some advice.

andrea
03-17-2007, 01:16 AM
lol
when u say tank looks slimmy is it just green?
mine turned many times green,,people would walkin and crack up cause they couldnt see the fish,,,
when i knew i just changed the tank
found out later after a hundred bottles of p clear that if the sun wasnt shining in it then it woulndt turn green,,,
living in rothesay its different water than the city,,i find even if theirs a little sunlight it turns,,
so now my huge beautiful fish tank is in my room,,where no one sees it but me and my family,,,cause i like a dark bedroom
go figure,..laying in bed hearin the water just makes me wanna pee...cant seem to enjoy em lol
least i can see them now..

Lisa_morris
03-17-2007, 01:32 AM
I had a the same problem a couple years ago. If you bring in a sample of your water to the pet store they will test it for you, you may have ammonia in your tank. That is what was wrong with mine, it can be a pain to get rid of but I did it. Also its good to use the sand in your tank rather than the rocks, once I changed things around in my tank no more fish died. Good-Luck, I know what a pain it is.

westsider
03-17-2007, 05:26 PM
I've had my fish tank for about 2 weeks or so now, and we went through about 5 fish now. They kept dying, so we took a sample of water to the pet store and we found out the fish had "ick". You can tell if they have it because they will have white spots on them. Theres a few things you need to do to clear it up, but we did and managed to save some of the fish that were left. So, just bring your water in and get it tested, you'll find out what the problem is..........good luck!

B1@ck W1d0w
03-18-2007, 04:36 PM
No spots on the fish,, no sunlight directly on the tank.
I tested the ph balance again- it's in range.
I've had this tank and the fish for almost a year,, the other fish are still good & healthy looking, but i forgot to buy new filters.. so that could be..... I think I'll also buy another cleaner fish & try it again.. the last one didnt hang in too long.....

Lisa_morris
03-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I went through the same thing. Take the water in and get it tested. I went to buy more fish but when I told them the problem I was having they wouldnt sell me anymore untill I brought my water in. Its free and it may make your fish much happier even if they are alive. It only took a little time to fix my tank and Im so happy I did it.

CM
03-18-2007, 08:08 PM
I would be hesitant before you buy another cleaner fish. Did you happen to buy a pleco ? That is what I bought that wiped out my whole tank. I had to start from scratch all over again. Catfish are great bottom feeder and tank cleaners. And if you are looking for algae eaters, I would recommend an ottocinclus. They don't get too large, are not aggressive, and do a great job cleaning the algae. I would suggest getting two or more of these little guys as they are very social fish.

puppyluv
03-18-2007, 08:12 PM
why not a pleco? ( just curious)

Crissy23
03-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi!
Just to let you know.
if you have an aquarium with many fish in it, or even one or 2 big ones.
there pee is very acidic.:(
If you put fish in with them , that are "delicate" to this type of thing,
they will die probably over night...
I once put tiny little crabs to run around the bottom of mine
they kept trying to crawl out...which i thought was cute..
little did i know that they were burning to death...:eek:
i had to return them in tears to the pet store the next day,
and start treating the tank for this acidity
almost everyday or so..
i didn't buy any more new fish..lol
although same thing...
anything over ten bucks would die..lol

good luck!!:p
Crissy

B1@ck W1d0w
03-19-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't think that was the name of the cleaner fish, I can't really remember--it left a while ago,and I never replaced him.
The most recent was a Catfish---& hes not new, been here for over a year.

CM
03-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Puppyluv, the reason why I am so leery of a pleco is that they seem to be great carriers of the dreaded ick. This is just not a coincidence either, too many times I have added pleco to my very healthy tanks, and only to lose all my fish to ick. It is horrible. It has happened to a friend of mine as well, fish all doing great, and the addition of a pleco, then ick, then sudden death. LOL Live and learn I guess, I know some people who have had great success with plecos, just not myself.

hamcam80
04-02-2007, 03:17 PM
if there is alot of algea in the tank it takes all the oxygen out, catfish don't need as much oxygen and are quite hard to kill, bu other fish are very sesitive, if you use p clear and clean the tank with a gravel cleaner two or three days in a row that usually gets rid of the algea, also certain fish can only live in certain tempratures, make sure fish are all compatible with ph, temp, and each other.

kantor
06-01-2007, 03:55 PM
If you are running an Aquaclear pump system, the one with the rectangle sponge and charcoal in it, try getting an amonia filter to put on top of it. Take all of your filters out, clean them under very hot water, and put them back in, Also anytime you buy or add a new fish, you should put in a bit off ick killer and stress treatment. It'll help the fish in there, as well as the new ones. The type of fish you have in there, may have a lot to do with your problem, some fish need high PH, while otheres need very low. Keep it out of the sun, and you can also get whats called an alge magnet, It hooks onto the tank, and kills excess alge in the tank.

sweldo84
06-01-2007, 05:13 PM
if you're using saint john water, that could be the problem....when I had fish a few years ago, I was advised to use store bought water....maybe try that out, worked for me

heather1
06-13-2007, 02:39 PM
I bought a beta fish for my daughter and the fish lived for 3 and a half years. So if your getting tired of buying fish you might want to look into getting one of these as they are cheap and apparently live for a long time...

lizard_lover
06-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Many things could kill fish. If you tap on the tank at all, that can stress them out. Over cleaning can stress them out sa it takes out their "good bacteria" (for lack of a better word) out of the water that the fish need to keep heatly, and the constanyt moving is stressful.
Over feeding can also cause it, as if you over feed, it will sink to the bottom and your tank with spike with amonia. Also, if you crumble their flakes of food really small, the fish may eat it, but it will then pass through their gills into the tank.
Algae can cause death in fish, but only if it is super caked thick, or your tank is overpopulated. Death can also be caused by wrong fish being put together, wrong temperatures, wrong pH levels,
Fish are easy to keep happy, but easy to stress out. they only really need light for a couple hours, because light is what causes algae. Something as simple as turning a light on too quick can stress them out...you really have to be careful. My motto is leave them alone, give them their food, and they thrive. It is when you try to keep them healthy that they all die off. But yes, take a sample of your water in a sterile container to the pet store and have them check it.