PDA

View Full Version : Norm, you're fired!

Doug James
03-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Margaret Totten has resigned her position as manager of Tourism Saint John. The news is short on details but the decision comes on the heels of controversy surrounding an important international cruise ship convention in Miami.

Normally Totten would attend this event. But she was on sick leave, so her husband, the City Manager, decided to go in her stead while she tagged along at her own expense for some rest and relaxation. When the Telegraph-Journal implied that something was amiss with this scenario – the Mayor initially brushed it off by accusing the newspaper of unfairly targeting city management. Then, he did a quick about face and unfairly targeted city management himself by ordering both of the Tottens to stay home for fear the controversy would somehow harm the city’s cruise ship business.

Storm-Away-Norm, who also just happens to be in Florida on vacation, had hoped somebody else would go to the convention in Totten's place, but get this…according to the Telegraph-Journal, on Tuesday he didn't know if that had happened! Is the Florida sun getting to him? Already targeted for his infamous lack of leadership, McFarlane now shows a complete lack of interest in city business.

If only this were a scene out of The Apprentice. The Mayor would get that famous Donald look following by three simple words: “Norm, you’re fired.” As this isn’t reality television, just reality, the voters of Saint John won’t get to play Trump until next year. Perhaps, as he lies in the Florida sun, McFarlane should consider resigning early instead of letting a sick woman take the fall for his own political inadequacies.

(http://www2.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=5863299735506563235&postID=3191123658082656038)

Doug James

Dan_Man
03-16-2007, 10:54 PM
wow...

Crystalbeach
03-17-2007, 01:49 AM
I don't think Margaret Totten should have resigned...being able to travel to Florida and being able to work are two completely different things...for example if she had surgery her doctor wouldn't want her to work for 6-8 weeks in some cases but would have no problem with her flying to Florida..and it was on her own money.

I think the mayor has a major leadership problem...he's a waffler.

kb
03-17-2007, 08:55 AM
I myself believe city hall needs a good cleaning out . the city manager and most of the other managers in it have lost touch with the tax payers and are just doing what ever they want. as in noooooo money for sidewalk cleaning but all inside management got a good raise .So yes im under the belief norm and the whole crew need to go

oasis
03-17-2007, 09:24 AM
No money for side walk cleaning but Normy can fly off to China any time he gets a whim! Of course he's drumming up business for us (Yeah Right) were as the Totten's were just going down to spend city money!

It was a controversy about nothing. The city is going to spend the money to send some one down any way. She was going to spend her own money, and was not going to be there as a representative of the city! Where was the problem??

Even Sick people can travel. In some cases doctors have been known to RECOMMEND a relaxing vacation to help with the mental well being of a patient! We have no idea why she was on sick leave. Maybe she had an operation and was recovering. Maybe it was stress. Well never know.

I wonder if Norms wife ever goes with him on all his trips. And if so WHO is paying for it???

kb
03-17-2007, 09:57 AM
well the totten thing really looks and smells bad . if she couldn't go should have been someone else from her dept not her husband ,besides the cruise ship industry only makes a difference to select industry most of saint john doesn't benefit from it . i know i will here alot of grief on the last statement but it's true .most of the retailers in the tents do nothing for this city they are only satalite operations they pay a little to port to be there and a few shops and the market along with a few restaurants up town

skallywag
03-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Uhmmm, and people wonder why the population of SJ is shrinking, and in Quispamssis/Rothesay it's growing. It's pretty simple. Saint John has been, and is mismanaged. Whether it's "Comedy Council" or SJ management, it's just one screw-up after another. Why don't you "officially" sell your city to Irving and be done with it :)

kb
03-17-2007, 11:48 AM
they already own it (irvings)and most people in and around it (rothesay,quispamsis ) which is owned by them to you just haven't admited it yet

Mandy
03-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I think we should all hop on the next cruise ship out of here at Irving's expense! hahahah

tag
03-18-2007, 09:47 AM
send the rest of us to FLA., and let the politicians stay here

The_Dave
03-18-2007, 12:40 PM
If you are on paid sick leave you should not be hob nobbing around the country, while the taxpayers foot the bill for her salary. If you can do that you can work. Something stinks here and an investigation is warranted.

magoosmomma
03-18-2007, 05:22 PM
I totally agree with The Dave here..(first time for everything..lol;) )

Mandi
03-18-2007, 07:04 PM
If you are on paid sick leave you should not be hob nobbing around the country, while the taxpayers foot the bill for her salary. If you can do that you can work. Something stinks here and an investigation is warranted.

-blink blink- I agree.

artemisrane
03-19-2007, 12:04 PM
here here The Dave I agree

Stop wasting our tax dollars on questionable politicians and start spending it where it should be going. I wonder how much money is wasted every year by crooked politicians or by "fluffin" their expenses. :mad:

blepton
03-31-2007, 12:54 PM
I'd like to see some of you run for mayor! HA

djchopper6969
04-01-2007, 02:13 PM
I think we should all hop on the next cruise ship out of here at Irving's expense! hahahah

I'm with you mandy.....Let's go we could all use a vacation.

Hey, The Dave, I bet it feels good to be agreed with instead of attacked for putting in your two cents :)

yoyoyip
04-01-2007, 06:53 PM
No investigation is warranted. This is a policy that was in place since before the current council came to power. Some people need to give it a rest.

- The sick policy stinks... absolutely nobody working in the public sector deserves their full salary while on sick leave... but this is not the fault of the current Leadership Team.

- If somebody wants to go on vacation while they're on sick leave, so be it. It's nobody's business why they are on sick leave. Perhaps a vacation will help with whatever ails 'em.

- Norm McFarlane will get my vote in the next municipal election. The opportunists that serve on council with him... will not. He has done a good job and I hope he gets another chance.

All this being said, the quality of the candidates we get for council will be on par with the salary we pay them. I wouldn't let most of the current clowns take out my garbage. (notice I said "most")

Consider this, we're paying Uncle Normie > $40,000/yr to run a multi million dollar corporation.... pretty interesting isn't it? Unless there have been significant changes that I've forgotten about, I think the position of Mayor is considered a part time position and considering the responsibilities we are waaayy underpaying. If we want better leadership, we need to pay for it.

I'm so sick of these whiners and criers. STEP UP TO THE PLATE! Don't like the way it's run?? Run for a spot yourself.

Oh.. and if any of you complainers are people who neglected to vote in the last election... you can quit yer whinin now, you've forfeited your right to complain.

Doug James
04-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Yoyoyip...I for one will be stepping up to the plate and hope to convince you that McFarlane has to go. You are right about the salary paid to the Mayor although don't forget it is the City Manager who runs the corporation on a daily basis. Still, the Mayor's pay is far below what it should be (if it were a full-time job which is must be in order to get the city back on its feet). That having been said, were I to run for Mayor I would let the voters know that I will take at least a 10 per cent pay cut as a symbol of the trimming of the fat that has to take place at City Hall. And I will work full-time on behalf of the citizens.