PDA

View Full Version : I knew it was just a matter of time.

inuit
06-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I thank my lucky stars and all the powers that be that I do not live in Nova Scotia. I say that a lot but now I really truly am grateful. But I suppose as Nova Scotia goes, soon too will N.B. I hope not.

I will tell you why I am so thankful. I was watching a news program a few nights back and saw where they are going to fine people for using the wrong colour garbage bags and putting the wrong garbage in them. The fines will start at 350 dollars but they think the fines will be increased in the near future. I seriously hope the N.S. government are not sitting there scratching their collective heads wondering why there is an illegal dumping problem in their province.

I see where the city of Saint John is considering charging a fee for excess garbages in the south end. If they do that I think there will be an increase of illegal dumping here too. Surely the governments must see a corelation between less garbage pick up and more dumping. It is not rocket science.

dpage466
06-27-2010, 02:50 PM
PEI has been doing this for quite some time, everything has to be in clear blue bags( im unsure of the color) and if they see anything that could be considered recycleable then they dont touch it. I dont know if they fine or how much they are if they do, but they have had the bag system for quite awhile

puppyluv
06-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Moncton has green bags for wet and blue bags for dry products..

Vix
06-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Moncton has green bags for wet and blue bags for dry products..

So does Bloomfield.....it's coming....:(

Crystalbeach
06-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Same up here in Waterborough (on Grand Lake) and it's a much better system than those bulky carts we have to use in Saint John.

inuit
06-28-2010, 12:31 PM
The good thong about PEI though is that they have weekly trash pick up for all of their garbage. At least they did the last time I was over there.

I see a lot more wild animal backyard instances. I believe it is because we have garbage sitting around rotting for so long. Wild animals have acute sense of smell and rotting garbage is ambrosia to them. Not everyone has a garage or shed to store their garbage.

Bawango
06-28-2010, 12:49 PM
In PEI it is a 4 part system, 2 blue bags one for plastic and one for paper, they get picked up once a month. As for waste, and compost they alternate every second week. I don't know of anyone who has been fined, but if you don't have your garbage separated properly, they tag it and leave it behind.

trinity
06-28-2010, 11:42 PM
I am 100% behind it if they are going to pick up recycling at the door.

inuit
06-29-2010, 07:53 AM
I do understand the need to recycle, reuse, reduce but it does seem to be more and more packaging in stores all of the time. It's a faster paced world. When I was small, Mom would get meat at the store and it was wrapped in that brown butcher paper. Everyone couldn't do that now because of the sheer volume of people buying meat.

It annoys me though to see items in the store that has 3 times more packaging than the item they are selling.

I wish stores would go back to paper bags. That's all there was when I was young. (LOL Yeah I know, I am ancient beyond words) There used to be paper bags with handles when we shopped in dry goods stores. Anyone remember them?

T-Diddy
06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
It's called "Going Green"!

puppyluv
06-29-2010, 08:27 PM
people say..would you like that in a bag? we usually say no. Now if we oculd just remember to keep our cloth bags in the truck!

and yep. I remember paper bags!!

trinity
07-04-2010, 12:29 AM
That's why I prefer the self checkouts if I forget my bags or go on an unplanned trip. If I go through a live cashier you have to beat them with a big stick to not pack 3 items a bag. I went in the other day late at night, and self checkout was closed. I bought less than $30 worth of groceries, including some packaged meat and cheese so you know that wasn't a big order, and she used THREE bags. I tried to stop her but it was too late. She even asked me if I wanted my berries in a FOURTH bag. I was like no, this is too many already, but there was a lineup and I didn't want to waste time making her repack, so as soon as I paid, I stuffed the other two bags inside the first- the look on her face was PRICELESS.

Nita
07-04-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm in NS [lived in SJ for 10 years] & the garbage system really isn't that bothersome. The only thing I don't like is that they only pick up every second week. It's one blue bag for cans/bottles/plastic & another for paper/cardboard. Regular garbage must be in clear bags but you can have 1 black bag [if you wish for feminine hygiene etc.] per pick-up...I think you can have 8 bags total per pick-up, but only one of those can be black. The rest can be whatever mix you'd like. They don't fine you, at least not here, if you put out too many of one bag or have something that shouldn't be in a bag...they leave a sticker on the bag & don't take it & you have to remedy the problem w/ the bag & save it until the following pick-up.

The only thing I don't like, is composting. In a house, it wouldn't be as bothersome, but we're in an apartment & the summers are SWELTERING here & having a stinky compost bin in the cabinet under our kitchen sink is no fun :/

inuit
07-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Holy Crap!!! You must need a PhD in garbageology jut to throw out your trash!! Sounds complicated to me. Imagine trying to keep a houseful of kids compliant with that! Whew. Full time job in itself. LOL Oh let me be dead and gone before that comes here.

Nita
07-04-2010, 08:17 PM
May sound complicated, but it's really really not. You also get a sheet that tells you exactly what can go in what...when you break it down, glass/plastic/cans go in one bag, everything paper/carboard [unless food soiled] goes in another, food scraps in the compost bin & everything else in the garbage...it becomes second nature.