PDA

View Full Version : Aliant Fibre Op

dpage466
05-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Has anyone had a chance to try it yet? Im making the plunge and getting it installed on Wed June the 2nd, going with the 20mb down and 5mb up package, which will in total actually only cost me like $13 more then the High speed Max that I have now. If anyone has tried it yet let me know what you think.

NoseToTheGrind
05-28-2010, 04:56 PM
I for one just got it about 2 weeks ago...it is phenomenal....I am very Impressed with it...

dpage466
05-28-2010, 05:36 PM
which option did you get for a package?

NoseToTheGrind
05-28-2010, 06:55 PM
I got the 20MBps down and 5 MBps up, I started off with the 35MBps down and the 10MBps up...but realized that was overkill, so I weened back to the 20/5, and it is more than enough.

bradorna
05-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Where do you people live? I'm in Forest Hills and was told it would not be available here for at least a year.

NoseToTheGrind
05-28-2010, 11:20 PM
I live by Dave's Appliance on Sandy Point Rd....Rockwood Park area.

dpage466
05-29-2010, 03:40 AM
uptown on waterloo myself, told its available may 31st an they are coming out on june 2nd to do the install

jiggypat23
05-29-2010, 09:37 PM
uptown on waterloo myself, told its available may 31st an they are coming out on june 2nd to do the install

good to know, i live on peters st so that will be nice, cant wait to get rid of rogers and switch back

liuxinbing
05-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Where do you people live? I'm in Forest Hills and was told it would not be available here for at least a year.

I live in Forest Hills too and found they've been pulling the f/o cable since last month. You can see the cables are hanging on the poles already. Does it take one year from hanging on the pole to hooking to the houses?

bradorna
05-30-2010, 08:03 AM
I live in Forest Hills too and found they've been pulling the f/o cable since last month. You can see the cables are hanging on the poles already. Does it take one year from hanging on the pole to hooking to the houses?

I hope not, cables hanging could be a good sign....Just because the guy told me one year does not mean he was correct. Agents at call centres do make mistakes in the info they give, as we all know.:eek:

GinNB
05-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Hey, they FINALLY got Rogers hispeed where I used to live. 12 years ago I started asking the Rogers guys when we'd be getting hispeed and they always said in another year. It took 12 years to get it but I moved 10 years ago. You never know for sure until the installation van shows up at your house.

dpage466
05-30-2010, 11:18 AM
and even after the van has pulled up its still not 100% certain lol. They just ran the cable on waterloo st about a month to two months ago so it seems to be available rather quickly after they move on

jiggypat23
05-30-2010, 08:33 PM
I for one just got it about 2 weeks ago...it is phenomenal....I am very Impressed with it...

just a question, did you by any chance take any pictures of your fiber setup? im curious on how there running the fiber lines from the poles to the houses.

NoseToTheGrind
05-31-2010, 12:16 AM
no pics, but they had to put a new box on the outside of the house, line goes from the pole to that box....then the fiber op line is from the box into the house and into the fiber op box on my wall....and the line goes from the box on the inside wall to the modem.

jiggypat23
06-02-2010, 09:23 AM

so have they showen up yet? keep us posted

dpage466
06-02-2010, 11:02 AM
there doing the installation right now, the box on the exterior of the house is similar to a rogers junction box, just grey with a specialized lock on it. Im at work now but when I get home ill take some pics and show everyone the setup on it

jiggypat23
06-02-2010, 11:20 AM
right on

jiggypat23
06-02-2010, 11:25 AM
i keep checking the website and it keeps telling me my address isnt avaliable yet and im sure you dont live too far away from Peter St if your on Waterloo

dpage466
06-02-2010, 12:45 PM
id try calling them directly, the website told me that it was going to be available in the next 3 months so it may not be updating properly, im down by the old church on waterloo by richmond, so not very far from peter street at all

jiggypat23
06-02-2010, 06:18 PM
so how's the new service?

dpage466
06-02-2010, 07:24 PM
i havent gotten off work as of yet, work till 9pm so by 9:30 i hope to be ankle deep in new downloads lol, will update when I get home likely around 10 or so

dpage466
06-02-2010, 08:50 PM
20.9mbs download, 5.32mbs upload using www.pcpitstop.com (http://www.pcpitstop.com) for there speed test, amazing an quick so far. gonna transfer some files back and forth from my server and see how that goes

jiggypat23
06-02-2010, 09:08 PM
nice!! sounds awsome. i think i'll be calling soon and seeing about switching back.

dpage466
06-03-2010, 07:35 PM
one issue I seem to be having is that the hardware required seems to be mated to each other. with the high speed max your modem is also wireless so its one unit. With the fiber optic it requires a seperate unit for both. A modem that recieved the inbound fiber optic, which then transmits out through an ethernet cable to the wireless gateway they send. 2 problems with this setup. the modem has 4 ethernet ports located on the back, yet only one sends out a signal, which also only works when sent to the gateway. If directly connected to a laptop or pc( using ethernet of course) I get no connection. if run out to another router I have ( dlink di-604) it appears to indicate that its working, until attempting to connect on anything. the dlink is a wired router( theres a reason im trying to hook this up to, but ill get to that in a second.)
The weird thing is, i get no connection when im hooked up to the dlink directly. if i run an ethernet cable from the dlink to the gateway i get full access again on wireless. still cant get a signal from the dlink. If i run a cable from the gateway to the same laptop i can get wired access. so apparently as long as the modem see's the gateway somewheres in the chain it will work( from the gateway itself at least).
The reason im trying to use the dlink is because im using a pc running Windows Home Server. for access externally to whs it needs to configure the necessary ports on the router using Upnp. The 2wire gateway doesnt allow Upnp, hence the attempt to get the dlink in the mix to by-pass the gateway. And to make things that much better after moving server to another location to allow a direct connect to internet..... I got a BSOD error 0x0000000a :rofl:. so it was a long night with my first shot at Fiber Optic lol

jiggypat23
06-03-2010, 08:05 PM
wow, that sounds like one of the most jacked up configurations i've ever heard of. 2 seperate boxes just for inbound and outbound connections

dpage466
06-03-2010, 08:30 PM
well its essentially the same as a rogers coax connection. it feeds into the modem, which then goes out to the router, diff is with rogers modems( an my old wireless modem from aliant) you can use any wireless/wired router simply just plug and play, just not with this one lol, well off to work on my server now

matthew_scott
07-03-2010, 01:26 PM
So how is the FiberOp working out?
I have the install scheduled for Friday (I'm in Quispamsis) and I'm excited but seriously wondering about how the setup will work. Im going to be using my own Wireless router so this should be interesting!

dpage466
07-03-2010, 02:18 PM
i havent really tinkered with it too much since I actually got the server running properly, the whole if it isnt broke dont fix it idea, but so long as you tell the tech right up front that you want to use your own he should be able to make it work. It is definetly faster then my old connection so thats a major plus, seems just as reliable as my old connection as well. all good so far lol

jigjew
07-25-2010, 05:43 PM
So the internet is crazy fast, how's the TV service? I have heard a rumour that the quality is not that great, and that Satellite and even cable Hd is superior. I have a bit of trouble believing this knowing the bandwidth capacity of Fibre optics. Thoughts?

NoseToTheGrind
07-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Don't let the rumors fool you (probably started by Rogers), LOL......the fibre OP digital TV is awsome, better (ALOT) than cable, and I find it is equal to satellite, which I also have.

matthew_scott
07-25-2010, 08:46 PM
NoseToTheGrind is right, both TV and internet are awesome!!!
Here's a speed test result.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/881042324.png

Aloha1
07-29-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't think Aliant TV is offering as many HD channels right now as compared to Rogers, such as RDS. Anybody have any problems with Aliant TV? How many HD channels does Aliant offer at the moment?

Freudian
08-01-2010, 08:36 PM
I had Rogers HDTV with multiple HD channel packs. It sucked completely and I finally got rid of it. The reason 3 main reasons:

1. Discovery Channel HD isn't a mirror of Discovery Channel SD, it's a totally different channel with feeds of their HD content. Daily Planet is not included (or at least not -daily-).

2. Space channel is not in HD

3. Most HD channels pixelate and go all blocky or go in and out nearly every time I try and watch. Not just one channel, not just one scenario. It was random but frequent. I have a dedicated tap going to my HDTV terminal with approx. 7 dB Digital @ the terminal (at the time of original hook-up 5 months previous - may have gotten split).

I'm fairly happy with Rogers TV with the regular DCT2500 series SD boxes, but it is a little pricey.

I don't think Aliant TV is offering as many HD channels right now as compared to Rogers, such as RDS. Anybody have any problems with Aliant TV? How many HD channels does Aliant offer at the moment?

puppyluv
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM
SO, what packages did you get people?
I am trying to figure out the internet usage one..
they are digging in our subdivision this week and the boxes say "communication" so hopefully that is F.O!

dpage466
08-09-2010, 05:19 PM
I got the 20mbps down/5mbps up package and when im direct connected( through ethernet cable) im hitting on average 21mbps down and like 5.5mbps up, when im wireless im a bit slower. At the same time im running a server, usually at least one game console running( unless im transferring games to my original xbox hdd, then 2 at one time) not to mention my torrents and my wife's facebook account usage. And im still able to hit at least 20 on my download. Ive been extremly happy and there is not usage cap( trust me that I know lol)

puppyluv
08-09-2010, 05:22 PM
did you go with phone and cable too?
what do you pay (if I may sk)

Aloha1
08-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Can someone tell me what the weather channel is like on Aliant TV? Someone said its different than what you would see on Rogers.

NoseToTheGrind
08-26-2010, 04:33 PM
It is exactly the same as Bell satellites, It covers Canada.

chosen_silver
08-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Does anyone in the red head area have any insight to when the service will be available there? About 3 months ago I had a notice in my mailbox saying they wuold be in the area working, but I haven't really seen anything aside from the occasional van working on the powerlines outside my sub division. I believe everything in the sub is under ground so I imagine they have to dig everything up before I will be able to get installed.

I have talked to so many people at Bell/Aliant (even stopping installers in a Tim Horton's...) and they will not give any timelines.

sanne
08-30-2010, 04:25 PM
They were here about a month ago and were checking lines on both Aberdeen and Ocean Drive, but I haven't seen or heard anything since. I would like to know as well.

chosen_silver
09-07-2010, 11:28 AM
This weekend I happened to see a FibreOp van parked in front of my house so naturally, I took the opportunity to "harass" the tech ;)

He said he does not really know any timelines for sure, but he can say that because all of our infrastructure is underground that they will most likely save it until the end of their rolllout. He said if he had to "guess", that it would not be available in this area until some time in the first half of next year.

c0ldb33r
09-24-2010, 07:49 PM
I just called Aliant and I'm getting hooked up around the end of October (damn Rogers and their 30 day notice).

The woman on the phone said something about possibly drilling through the floor.

Do they need to drill through my floor? I'm not really prepared for that, we just refinished hardwood floors last year.

dpage466
09-24-2010, 08:27 PM
they didnt drill through mine, i imagine it all depends on where in the household you want everything run. The were able to just come straight through the exterior wall for me

Crystalbeach
09-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Could you please explain to this technically challenged person what this is all about...I had a phone call today from Aliant but hubby asked them to call back tomorrow....
currently my phone & internet is with Aliant but tv is with Rogers
what would be the advantage to my switching and what would be the cost?
thanks much for your input.

dpage466
09-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Fiber Op is a different type of delivery for Aliants Internet Tv and phone, different style of cables which allows more bandwith to get to its end destination. If you upgrade to fiber op the most noticeable difference in my opinion would be your internet speed. I didnt actually get the tv so i cant speak for that, but the internet was drastically faster. I upgraded from the highest package that they had previously offered, and in total its costing me an extra $13 per month to go from 12mbps down/ 1mbps upload, to 25mbps down/ 5mbps upload.

bubbles
10-01-2010, 12:26 AM
i just got the service a week ago and i love it...so happy to be rid of rogers..:D

matthew_scott
10-01-2010, 12:36 AM
For gamers, in WoW my latency has dropped in half, to about 70-80ms ping.

dpage466
10-03-2010, 10:59 AM
I just moved into a new apartment and aliant has already changed routers.They went from the 2wire system to an actiontech r1000h, its a wireless N router. has anyone else recieved one yet?

chosen_silver
10-12-2010, 10:34 AM
My wife called me this morning saying she saw lines being painted on the roads in my subdivision in redhead this morning with diggers standing by...hopefully....

sanne
10-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Hydrants are being installed.........so there goes the good water.

Raccoon
10-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Can the digital boxes to receive the HDTV be purchased from a 3rd party? If so is there a limit as to how many TVs the 25\5 service can handle?

countesscurling
11-02-2010, 04:49 PM
The boxes we had installed by the fiber-op installers are made by motorola. All the boxes are the same except for the one with pvr. We were told that they are all HDTV compatible, you get one on HD for free, any others you have to pay a fee for and all you have to do is call and they flick a switch. I asked because we are thinking about purchasing another HDTV and wanted to know before hand what we needed to do.

KRS
11-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Just a notice concerning the installtion of the fibre op. Just because you saw the vans going through your neighborhood running lines underground does not mean it will be available to you. Engineers must come back and install additional equipment that allows for the lines to run to your house.

I have heard lots of complaints of people setting up their appointments for installations and thus cancelling their internet, phone and television only to be told when the installer arrives that it cannot be done and it could be sometime before it will be available.

Cherry Pop
11-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Apparently as long as I live in the apartment I'm in, I won't be able to get this. The building would have to be all rewired as it's a very old apartment building. The company who owns the building won't do this so it really sucks to be me. I hate Rogers and have canceled my cable with them anyways!

dpage466
11-11-2010, 10:13 PM
to install the fiber op they have to re-wire anyways as the run a different cable into the building, and when i moved whether i could ge fiber op or not was one of my deciding factors lol

Cherry Pop
11-13-2010, 05:40 AM
Yeah I know they have to re-wire but Aliant wants the company who owns the building to pay for the re-wiring and the company won't. Whether I can get fiber op is not a deciding factor where I live either, it's just annoying for me as I would like to have Aliant tv and can't! It is available in my area just not my building!

dpage466
11-14-2010, 02:42 PM
there was no charge for them to come out and install the wire at either of the places I lived at, because they were just wiring the one apt not the entire builiding, its no different then any other install just a diff type of wire

Cherry Pop
11-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Lucky you! Unfortunately, that's not the case for me. The way the wiring is set up for my building it would require Aliant to rewire the whole building even for one apartment. There are 78 apartments in my building. We looked into why the service is available in our area but not our building and we were told by someone we know who works for aliant that the whole building needs to be rewired and aliant will not pay for it cause it would be too much $$$. The company who owns the building will not pay for it. Therefore I won't be able to have it as long as I live there which sucks. I know what I'm talking about I looked into it all already. I also know why the owners of the building won't pay for. Anyhoo, just stating that it sucks for me!

andrea
11-15-2010, 05:08 PM
i love my fibre op!

NoseToTheGrind
11-15-2010, 05:29 PM
i love my fibre op!

Thats sums it all up.............well said...me tooooo.....lol

jiggypat23
11-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Lucky you! Unfortunately, that's not the case for me. The way the wiring is set up for my building it would require Aliant to rewire the whole building even for one apartment. There are 78 apartments in my building. We looked into why the service is available in our area but not our building and we were told by someone we know who works for aliant that the whole building needs to be rewired and aliant will not pay for it cause it would be too much $$$. The company who owns the building will not pay for it. Therefore I won't be able to have it as long as I live there which sucks. I know what I'm talking about I looked into it all already. I also know why the owners of the building won't pay for. Anyhoo, just stating that it sucks for me!

78 apartments? sounds like one of the high rise buidlings and if that's the case then of course the building owner will not pay to have the lines re-ran or upgraded as it's a big project to do. As opposed to a 6 unit building or less that Aliant could come in and run to 1 unit no problem.

Cherry Pop
11-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Yep that's why it sucks for me!

jg
11-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Not sure if we made the right choice!! We had Bell Satellite but switched to Aliant Fibre Op on October 25.Our TV AND Internet has been down twice in the last 24 hours.We were told that this would never happen with Fibre Op.Also, try talking to someone at the 1-866 # regarding the TV channel packages.They tell you to check their website ....decide what channels you want ....call them back....then they will let you know if they are in a package.For example, the Movie Channel is 19.95 a month.She also told me not to expect as many channels as Bell because Bell has been around for awhile and they are just starting out. When we received the call asking us to switch we were told that we would have as many channels if not more.
At least if the TV went out we still had Internet with Bell!!
Right now, I'm not too pleased with Aliant Fibre Op.Take my advice, think twice, before you switch!

NoseToTheGrind
11-17-2010, 11:23 PM
This is the first time in the 6 months I have had it that it went down, and it was because of a hardware problem, things blow...short out..etc.....i know with Bell satellite...(i have them too), whenever we get heavy rain.....it goes out until the rain lets up....not so with fiber op....If it was a problem I would be the first one to whine and moan about it....but im happier than ever with the fiber optics.

dpage466
11-18-2010, 12:46 AM
same hear, and im north so clearly it wasnt an isolated incident, and when i had my bell if it even got foggy out i didnt get tv for at least 4 hours

oasis
11-18-2010, 06:31 AM
We lost both our internet and TV yesterday morning. Internet finally came back at about 6pm. TV is still out this AM.

NoseToTheGrind
11-18-2010, 09:10 AM
When we lose the fibre op internet, you need to unplug the tv receiver for 10 secs and let it reboot,so it can set up the ip again now that the internet is working, thats what I did.

chosen_silver
11-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Some "good" news for us Red Head folks. I just got off the phone with Bell. They talked to their engineers and actually came back to me with a date this time. It is the second time I have talked to the engineer department. The last time was a few months ago and all that they could tell me was that because of our underground wires it would be a while.

This time they told me they plan to start upgrading the wiring in the spring and should be able to offer the service to all the houses in the subdivision off Ocean drive by September. It sucks that it is about 10 months away, but it is nice to have an actual date now.

Fast Eddie
11-30-2010, 03:00 PM
fiber op only goes to your house then its coax into the house unless they rewire inside of your house too so i hear. is this true?

NoseToTheGrind
11-30-2010, 03:04 PM
The coax is ONLY for the digital TV side of it, if you dont get the TV then you wont need coax. The coax goes from the inside modem to the boxes for the Tv

Fast Eddie
11-30-2010, 03:12 PM
ok thanks nose for clearing that up for me :)

sanne
11-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Some "good" news for us Red Head folks. I just got off the phone with Bell. They talked to their engineers and actually came back to me with a date this time. It is the second time I have talked to the engineer department. The last time was a few months ago and all that they could tell me was that because of our underground wires it would be a while.

This time they told me they plan to start upgrading the wiring in the spring and should be able to offer the service to all the houses in the subdivision off Ocean drive by September. It sucks that it is about 10 months away, but it is nice to have an actual date now.
Yes I was told that they will do nothing now that the colder weather has set in.

jiggypat23
11-30-2010, 06:03 PM
anyone on this thread live in an apt and have fiber op? if so how many units are in your building? im curious to know

dpage466
11-30-2010, 06:33 PM
I live in an a 5 apt buliding with fiber op, and the last place i was in was a 4 apt building

jiggypat23
11-30-2010, 07:43 PM
really? they told me they would not service a building with more than 4 units in it, and mine has 5 but technically 6 but one apt has it's own address and they said i couldnt get fibre op cause there's 5 units in my building :(

dpage466
11-30-2010, 09:00 PM
me an the guy who lives downstairs from me both have it in this building, never gave me any grief at all, just had to have permission from our landlord ( which they never really asked for any proof of now that i think about it lol)

jiggypat23
12-01-2010, 12:44 AM
well that info i got suposidly came from the engeerning department so i dont know. hopefully it will be avaliable soon or they change their minds cause that was the whole reason i wanted to switch to bell from rogers was fibre op. oh well guess i'll suck it out with DSL for awhile...

dpage466
12-01-2010, 12:47 AM
have you tried just talking to the sales dept? they'll agree to anything to get the sales and by the time the tech comes out its just about too late to stop it, just make sure you have your landlords permission and try going that way

jiggypat23
12-02-2010, 05:16 PM
tried that, the sales lady tried to put the order through and it would not let her so she put a request through to the engeerning department and they said no.

dpage466
12-04-2010, 05:39 PM
sorry to hear that, they must have just changed that after i moved. do you have an actual landlord or do you have like a holding company, or a company that owsn your building?

jiggypat23
12-04-2010, 07:45 PM
actual landlord and not a company

talos
06-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Is there anyone in Saint John right now that has FiberOp installed in a Multiple Unit Dwelling?

What are the details in getting this done. I cant get any consistent answers from Bell Aliant.

One agent told me to have my landlord call, they would install the access for free since it was only 7 apartments. Another one said there is a cost but only an engineer could determine this and i cannot speak with one.

Any info would be useful.

dpage466
06-09-2011, 03:11 PM
im in a 5 unit building right now, and all i needed was my landlord's consent, never had an issue with it after that

sanne
06-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Does anyone have any updates on the Red Head area?

talos
06-10-2011, 01:20 PM
im in a 5 unit building right now, and all i needed was my landlord's consent, never had an issue with it after that

Do you have a utility room in that building and was a node installed? If so, was your landlord Billed?

dpage466
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
nope no utility room, it was directly run from the existing lines outside the building, so no charge to the landlord