PDA

View Full Version : working less hours refused, is that allowed?

ysbran
05-23-2010, 10:31 AM
I put in a request with my employer to work four days instead of five. I work with a call center. The reason for refusal is that it didn't fit their schedule's. The option they offered was working one day less and have a ten hour workday for the other days of the week instead. I am a working parent and the call center is pretty laid back but I am not that motivated to work 10 hours/day.

I was under the assumption that a request for working less hours could not be refused but I am not sure about this. Who can I go to for advice, is there something like a worker's union?

tag
05-24-2010, 11:36 AM
It can be refused. If you signed a contract saying full time. You could ask to drop down to part time status.

They usually are also paying large amounts for your (or others) health benefits as a full time employee which could be changed to part time coverage if they so desired. Before you change, you may want to research your medical coverage cost. For a family of 3 for 2 weeks if can easily be over $100 for BASIC coverage.

ysbran
05-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks, it wasn't refused because I signed a contract for full time though. My request didn't fit their schedule.
As for the benefits: I pay most of that myself and only if you drop down below 20/hrs a week it will effect the eligibility. Now I am sure I read that an employer cannot refuse a request for less hours, I'm just wondering who would be able to give me more info on that.

puppyluv
05-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Call the labour board.

Triple J
05-31-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't know why someone would think they are entitled to tell an employer when they will work. If your job doesn't fit your schedule, you have to find one that does because they can easily find another employee who is more motivated. Or possibly something in that workplace will come up that does fit your scedule if you are patient. I have gone into a job telling them when I can and cannot work, but they knew upfront, I didn't spring it on them.

KRS
06-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Four 10 hour shifts are great. Think about it, you will get 3 days off in a row.