PDA

View Full Version : No Child Support, no Licence

angelaa
05-13-2010, 10:00 AM
New rule... If You are behind is Child Support they will take Your Driver's Licence away. My Daughter Inlaw has a son who is 8 and lives with his father in Boisetown. She lives here in Saint John. She gets her son every 2 weeks. However 3 years ago she got pregnant for my grandson. During this period she found out that she had cancer. They had to do an emergency c-section. Thank God the baby was ok. She had to take treatments for a year, she was really ill. However, she was always sure, no mater how sick she was to have her visits with her 1st son. 3 weeks ago she was informed that her driver's licence was suspended until the out dated balance is paid. She had always paid before and if it wasn't for her being ill she would have gone back to work and kept up with the payments. She is always in and out of the Hospital for tests to see if she is in the clear now. During this time she had to go on social assistance. She did get accepted into college here starting in September so she moved here 2 months ago. I had to drive her to Fredericton for her cat scan last week. Tomorrow I have to drive her to Boisetown to pick up son#1. In this circumstance I don't think this was the right action to take where she is concerned. Also when she does pay the arrears she has to pay the 80 something dollars to get it reinstated. Yes it is about time they did something about parents unwilling to pay. But this was not by choice.

livkat
05-13-2010, 10:21 AM
You are talking about your daughter inlaw, so that would mean she is in a relationship with your son? Is he working? Also did she just stop making payments, or did she let them know of the situation?
So sorry to hear she had to go through such a horrible illness, but someone still has to support the child.

angelaa
05-13-2010, 10:33 AM
She is separated from my son. And My son does work and supports his son. Son #2 but always #1 in my books. My grandson spends alot of time with me. I even took him to work with me today because his mom is really ill, and I felt she needed sometime to herself, and for my son he is in Fredericton working.

inuit
05-13-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't know if it works now but when my ex got 5000 behind, I wrote a letter to the court saying I did not require him to pay the back amounts as long as he maintained the support from that time forward. The court accepted the letter and he did not have to pay the money.

heres2u
05-14-2010, 02:12 PM
The way child support works is if you have a court order to pay a set amount than you need to pay that amount either by going to the court or having it garnished. If your daughter in law had circumstances where she wasn't making as much as the original court order, she should have gone to the court and requested a variation in her order as her income was changed. However if she was still making the same amount there is nothing she could do, at least not through the courts. The court system is put into place to make things as fair as possible for the child, the circumstance of the paying parent(s), not so much. The best thing she could do is if there is a change in her financial status is to go to the court and fill out the proper form. Another thing that MIGHT help is to show her income tax from the past few years to show that she hasn't been making the amount that was shown on the original court order..for eg. If at the time of the original court order she was making 35,000 and had to pay according to the chart about $250-300 a month but her income tax shows she only made 27,000, than she may be able to get money back or have it taken off the child support that is in arrears. I'm not positive but it would be worth looking into.

Marigold
05-14-2010, 02:16 PM
When your daughter in law got sick and had to stop working, did she go to the courthouse and claim undue hardship, or did she simply stop paying. It's too bad that she is ill, however if she failed to take the proper steps in order to make arrangements to lower her payments or to stop them for awhile, then she has to expect there will be consequences to that. On a side note, good for you for being there to help out. I've been divorced for many years now, and my ex-MIL has always been there for me to help out, and I can't tell you what a relief it has been at times!

angelaa
05-14-2010, 07:18 PM
I drove her uptown today to pick up the variation papers, than I drove her to Fredericton and her dad met us halfway, He took her back to Boisetown for her weekend visit with her son. Hopefully where she has to see her ex, they can work something out and arrangements can be made. She feels so useless with out a licence. Thank you for all of your advice.