PDA

View Full Version : Jury duty

tessa
03-14-2007, 08:04 AM
I've been findin the past week alot of ppl i know have been being called in in april for jury summons...I havent really been following the news...I wonder what this is for?..One friend said on her form that it could last up to 49 days..Anyone have any idea?

mama2be
03-14-2007, 09:19 AM
my husband and my sister got called for this as well.

amethyst
03-14-2007, 09:57 AM
oh i know someone that got called for that too.

steveo
03-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I was also picked, and tried to appeal it, but my appeal was turned down..I dont know what it is about either.
:(

rubycshells
03-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Me too.

jdcb
03-14-2007, 12:16 PM
I remember when I was called. It was just after I moved to SJ. Myself, my father, and my two older brothers (younger bro too young to serve) all got summons on same day.

I got out of it for a specific reason. So did they. But I remember not 4 days after I got the letter of successful appeal, they contacted my place of employment looking for eligible jurors. Work almost told me I was one of the 'selected few' until I explained I just literally 'just' got out of the same jury duty not a week before...

mama2be
03-14-2007, 12:16 PM
my husband appealed it and got approved.

3 in a tree
03-14-2007, 12:51 PM
I got a letter as well. How do u appeal it? It says for 49 sitting days and I just cant miss that much time from school!!

steveo
03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
My work will pay for time off for jury duty, but i still hope they dont pick me.

tessa
03-14-2007, 03:13 PM
I also appealed ...im leaving on vac..later that week so i had to send them a copy of my reciepts!!..I hope that works..cause i do childcare in my home..and i really dont want to take the day off to do that...How long does it take to come back...I sent mine by mail in yesterday?

mama2be
03-14-2007, 05:29 PM
my husband dropped in to the sheriffs office and appealed it and they called him the next day. his reason was he is only a casual at his job and not part of the union yet and was able to get a letter from his boss saying he would not get paid for his time away and was able to get out of it. all approved now. didn't take him long.

oasis
03-14-2007, 06:37 PM
My wife just got her summons for this today. She needs to see her hematologist to see if she can miss that many appointments if she is picked. ( she has a blood disorder and needs weekly testing)

She sees hem Friday so she'll mail her apeal out right away if the doctor says no.

fergiak
03-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Does anyone have any idea what this trial could be? My husband got a letter, as did several of my co-workers. My husband is out of the country on business the week after he must appear and his work does not pay if he gets picked, we could not survive if he did not get a pay for 45 + days, he sent a letter stating this to appeal it, I hope it is accepted. Any suggestions from the others who have succeeded in appealing , we really would be financially destitute if he were picked...

nadia.m.
03-14-2007, 08:04 PM
there's a long trial scheduled to begin shortly where a corporation is being tried for a bunch of criminal charges

Vix
03-14-2007, 08:34 PM
I also heard it may be about a huge drug bust that was recent....no idea.

dollydoo
03-14-2007, 08:42 PM
I have never had Jury duty. I think it would be kinda neat... But maybe thats cause i have no idea what to expect. I didnt recieve a summons.. Does someone come to your door and give it to you or do they just mail it to you? Also does it matter where you live?

fergiak
03-14-2007, 08:51 PM
comes in the mail, and it seems, from those that I know that have gotten a letter, it seems that the West side of the city ahve gotten letters.

I don't see how they can MAKE you be on a jury and allow you to go without pay for that long and it doesn't matter.. that SHOULD be taken into consideration, I am sure there are people that can do this, those that are rich and money is not a worry, those that perhaps do not work, and an extra 40 dollars a day would be nice, pick those people, not us who will be in a hard way

dollydoo
03-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Im a stay at home mom. And i would be interested in it actually. I agree with you 100% on this

amethyst
03-14-2007, 09:07 PM
It is your civic DUTY to be on a jury if picked. I'm sure this isn't going to be a popular opinion...but so be it. Medical reasons aside...

oh...and the person i know that was summoned is east.

new424
03-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Both my husband and I received summons for jury selection for this.

I got mine about 2 weeks ago and he just got his yesterday. He will most likely be lucky enough to be excluded.

But I really have to wonder........would they seriously be able to select both income earners from a household?????? Or is there some kind of rule that would prevent that from happening?

Cherry Pop
03-14-2007, 11:40 PM
I got summoned about 2 years ago but got out of it due to my health and being a single parent (no child care). If you work full-time by law your employer is suppose to still pay your wages. It's falls under like a leave of absence sort of thing. I think it would be fun to be on a jury but unfortunately I miss out on all the fun stuff thanks to being sick!

catherine130
03-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Did the summons for jury duty come as a registered letter? :S

6sixstring6
03-15-2007, 09:35 AM
I got summoned about 2 years ago but got out of it due to my health and being a single parent (no child care). If you work full-time by law your employer is suppose to still pay your wages. It's falls under like a leave of absence sort of thing. I think it would be fun to be on a jury but unfortunately I miss out on all the fun stuff thanks to being sick!

Sorry Cherry Pop, but if you are sitting on a jury, you employer does NOT have to pay you. You receive a stipend from the Justice Dept. of so much a day for every day you sit plus mileage if you travel a certain distance and meals. It is definately a losing proposition.

For all of those who wish to be excused from jury duty, just show up the first day and when they question you to qualify you, tell them you don't think the police arrest innocent people. I gurantee that you will be excused.

maprince
03-15-2007, 11:11 AM
I was selected as juror #1 in Dec'06. Ramdom names are selected from Medicare. Over 300 people got a summons for jury duty that day but once the plaintiff and defense agreed upon 12, the rest got to go home. They pay you $40/day up to 10 sitting days, $7/day/lunch and $.30 per km travelled.

I am not to give any details of the trial but I can say jury duty is a real experience not many people get the chance to do. I'm not saying I would want to do it again but glad I had the opportunity to do so.

maprince
03-15-2007, 11:20 AM
For all of those who wish to be excused from jury duty, just show up the first day and when they question you to qualify you, tell them you don't think the police arrest innocent people. I gurantee that you will be excused.

Sorry, the defense and plaintiff choose people by their looks...well that's how they did it when I got picked. They never asked any questions at all, infact, the only time we had the chance to talk was outside the courtroom but we were not aloud to speak of the trial.

care1978
03-15-2007, 11:38 AM
i was summoned for jury duty before, i went to the court house as they were doing the choosing they callled my number and i assked to be excused so because of association, it worked

Cherry Pop
03-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Sorry Cherry Pop, but if you are sitting on a jury, you employer does NOT have to pay you. You receive a stipend from the Justice Dept. of so much a day for every day you sit plus mileage if you travel a certain distance and meals. It is definately a losing proposition.

On the letter that was sent to me, it stated that if I was employed full-time my employer was responsible for paying me. It also stated if your employer refused to pay than you had to get a letter from your employer stating that. I worked part-time at the time but I didn't need to worry about that because I was on a waiting list for surgery in Ontario and was a single parent-both of which got me out of it. However, Had my situation been different at the time, I would have loved to be on the jury!

6sixstring6
03-15-2007, 12:16 PM
On the letter that was sent to me, it stated that if I was employed full-time my employer was responsible for paying me. It also stated if your employer refused to pay than you had to get a letter from your employer stating that. I worked part-time at the time but I didn't need to worry about that because I was on a waiting list for surgery in Ontario and was a single parent-both of which got me out of it. However, Had my situation been different at the time, I would have loved to be on the jury!

Was this inn Ontario or New Brunswick? Two different Justice Dept., two different sets of rules.

Cherry Pop
03-15-2007, 12:22 PM
It was here in New Brunswick. It was a couple years ago. The Trial was suppose to last for a few months. The reason I was on a waiting list for surgery in Ontario is because I had to go there quite a bit due to our poor health care in NB but that's a whole other topic!

tessa
03-15-2007, 01:19 PM
I live East and I know of a few in the Hampton area who were also picked..For this upcoming one..

tessa
03-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Did the summons for jury duty come as a registered letter? :S

It just came in the mail...

Woofer
03-15-2007, 01:29 PM
my mother in law id willow grove and she got her summons yesterday for the 49 day one.

user5624
03-15-2007, 02:25 PM
I was selected as juror #1 in Dec'06. Ramdom names are selected from Medicare. Over 300 people got a summons for jury duty that day but once the plaintiff and defense agreed upon 12, the rest got to go home. They pay you $40/day up to 10 sitting days, $7/day/lunch and $.30 per km travelled.

I am not to give any details of the trial but I can say jury duty is a real experience not many people get the chance to do. I'm not saying I would want to do it again but glad I had the opportunity to do so.

Maprince is right, they choose randomly by Medicare.

fergiak
03-15-2007, 04:05 PM
So, I know it is a civic duty, but they ( whoever THEY are) would REALLY make someone who will not get paid by their employer be on a jury and get into big financial trouble?? This just does not seem right at all.

mama2be
03-15-2007, 04:42 PM
we live north and my husband got picked. But he luckily got out of it.

dollydoo
03-15-2007, 04:45 PM
I hope they pick me.. I would love to experience jury duty.. Doea anyone know what the trial is about 100% yet???

mama2be
03-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Oh I would love it too. Be interesting and an experience. I am a csi nut so I wonder if it would be anything like it?? Lol! I did get picked a few years back but they sent out a letter before it was time to go saying they had settled the case.

babydoll101
03-15-2007, 05:35 PM
I also would think it would be pretty interesting. I don't think I could do it though because of my daughters health but I sure do think I would love it. I have never been selected.

Cherry Pop
03-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Maprince is right, they choose randomly by Medicare.

If they choose by Medicare, why did they choose me that time? Wouldn't they know that I was having surgery every 3-6 months? That doesn't make sense to me.

user5624
03-15-2007, 05:48 PM
If they choose by Medicare, why did they choose me that time? Wouldn't they know that I was having surgery every 3-6 months? That doesn't make sense to me.

More specifically, they choose randomly by Medicare number. They don't go into your medical history.

Cherry Pop
03-15-2007, 05:51 PM
More specifically, they choose randomly by Medicare number. They don't go into your medical history.

Ok! I was thinking if they checked my medical history, they must be really dumb but that makes sense now. lol

user5624
03-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Ok! I was thinking if they checked my medical history, they must be really dumb but that makes sense now. lol

Nope, they just randomly select the Medicare numbers.

Anybody looking for information on appealling and so on, the information can be found here: http://www.gnb.ca/0062/acts/acts/j-03-1.htm

oasis
03-15-2007, 07:02 PM

I just read everything that came with my wifes. And no were does it state your employer has to pay you. I've been on jury's in the past and my employer did not pay me. If a trial is over so many days you get payed by the courts. And it takes quite a while to get the check. and it was only about 20 dollars a day plus meals. Could be more now. I don't know.

Some employers will pay you if you do Jury duty. But not many. Mine won't. I know Walmart does.

oasis
03-15-2007, 07:07 PM
So, I know it is a civic duty, but they ( whoever THEY are) would REALLY make someone who will not get paid by their employer be on a jury and get into big financial trouble?? This just does not seem right at all.

Usually if it will create a financial hard ship they will let you out of jury duty. Mainly because they know if you were forced to do it you would not be impartial. Lets face it if I knew that I could not afford to I'd tell them in a round about way that I would be against the accused because it's his fault I was there!

trinity
03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
My mother got her summons two days after her 70th birthday... which is apparently the cutoff age for forcing you into jury duty, so she's exempted. I dont know why, retired people in good health, it seems like they would be a good choice, they don't work and generally wouldn't have young children at home to care for. That's sort of ageist, to assume that because someone is 70, they are automatically too fragile or unwell to be on a jury. And as a former landlord and employee of a large corporation, my mother has lot of experience with either drug dealers or corporate activities. Me on the other hand, it WOULD cause financial hardship, I couldn't go 7 weeks without pay. I suppose, I could keep on working nights and fall asleep in the courtroom every day :-)

rhiley_08j
03-15-2007, 09:55 PM
does anyone know what itys about yet???

oasis
03-16-2007, 04:56 AM
My mother got her summons two days after her 70th birthday... which is apparently the cutoff age for forcing you into jury duty, so she's exempted.

I think she can still serve. But if she does not want to she has an easy out.

trinity
03-16-2007, 06:32 AM
I remember a comedian once on a tv special saying that if he ever got in trouble with the law, he would choose trial by judge only; he didn't want his fate decided by 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty LOL.

pepsimama
03-16-2007, 06:42 PM
There are three people that I know of, two in my office, who have received a summons for the 49 day trial. I don't know what it's about either. Fortunately, my work pays us for jury duty but I can't imagine being placed in a position where serving would be a hardship. That would be awful!

Mandi
03-16-2007, 06:53 PM
There are three people that I know of, two in my office, who have received a summons for the 49 day trial. I don't know what it's about either. Fortunately, my work pays us for jury duty but I can't imagine being placed in a position where serving would be a hardship. That would be awful!

:) you can't if it causes any kind of financial hardship, you're able to request that you not serve

oasis
03-16-2007, 07:10 PM
My wifes doctor told her that she can not serve because of her medical condition. She dropped her papers off this afternoon and got a call a couple of hours later thanking her and telling her she was excused.

Crazy part is she wanted to do it!

B1@ck W1d0w
03-16-2007, 07:24 PM
I got mine on Tuesday, and just took them into Sheriff this morning also.

I am Excused with Dr's letter due to medical conditions, but I was told right away, Thank you and your excused & the remainder of the form was filled out & I was told that I would have NO other contact.

I agree it is "our" duty, and I probably would have, If I could.
As far as the time frame.. well could be more or less than the 49 days, but I believe all Employers should pay, or atleast split 50/50. That's JMO..

missday
03-24-2007, 07:03 AM
I got mine in the mail a week ago does anyone know of any up coming trials? i can't seem to find anything online anywhere lol

oasis
03-24-2007, 09:06 AM
My neighbor knows all about it! Every time she comes over she talks about the murder/dope/rape/........................

Yesterday she said that the jury would be sequestered for the trail. Where she gets her info I don't know, but I think thin air has something to do with it.

tessa
03-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I called into the office yesterday afternoon..and asked if my appeal was accepted..and it was..

Jennifer23
03-24-2007, 01:02 PM
I was called for jury duty as well for the 49 day one but my employer will not cover lost wages so I told them that and they called my work the next day and told me that I was excused.

rogerfoucault
03-27-2007, 06:50 AM
The Sheriff's dept. recently took a nice personal trip, along with some deputies, right at my girlfriend's place of business where they randomly chose over 20 people right out of the office. They told staff that if they couldn't find adequate jurors from that grouping they would be back for more. That morning my girlfriend was just returning from a coffee break and had missed the Sheriff's posse by about ten minutes, just as they had selected those 20 they were looking for. The Sheriff's dept. had a bus chartered for this group right outside the office building and boarded everyone up.

This was mentioned in the following day's newspaper where a news article had mentioned how the Sheriff's dept. had to go to different businesses in Saint John to "round up" (like cattle) certain amounts of people. But the article erroneously indicated that the Sheriff's dept. "went to various businesses to look for 'volunteers' for jury duty", which was NOT the case-- Lol.

Thankfully they had selected the jurors that they needed and my girlfriend's place of business never had a repeat visit by the Sheriff's dept.. There were a lot of disgruntled folks in that group who were demanded to board that bus for jury duty interviewing, let me tell you.

So don't count on just a letter in the mail because the Sheriff has the legal right to go right to your place of work to pull you out of the office! A bit unnerving, huh?

Regards,

Roger Foucault
ANT-TROPOLIS STUDIOS
www.ant-tropolis.com
Email: roger@ant-tropolis.com

hockeymom
03-27-2007, 07:42 AM
Remember the Grand Manan case with the drug dealer and burning down the house? They ran short on jurors so the Sheriff Dept. showed up at the Charlotte Mall in St. Stephen and loaded a bus up there. People were ticked as they were out shopping and not expecting it. They drove them to St. Andrews court house and a few of them had to find thier own way back to St. Stephen. There was a big write up in the Saint Croix Courier (Charlotte County Newspaper).

thats was good for a morning giggle :)
So people beware, I guess this means they could do the same while your shopping or buying groceries.....etc etc:rolleyes:

rogerfoucault
03-27-2007, 09:45 PM
thats was good for a morning giggle :)
So people beware, I guess this means they could do the same while your shopping or buying groceries.....etc etc:rolleyes:
I wouldn't put it past them if they're desperate for jury members.

Regards,

Roger Foucault
Co-owner
ANT-TROPOLIS STUDIOS
www.ant-tropolis.com

amethyst
03-28-2007, 05:29 AM
Wouldn't it just be simpler to put an ad in the paper asking for volunteers? sheesh...i bet alot of people would volunteer...lots of "nosey" people out there LOL

rogerfoucault
03-28-2007, 07:12 AM
Even if your company sponsors your absence if you're called in for jury duty, can you imagine the workload you'd have waiting for you after a month or so of being away in court as a juror, especially if nobody is there at your work to really adequately fill in for you?

My gf works in an environment where there is nobody there as trained and qualified or familiar with her client files; had she been picked for jury duty and ended up spending over a month away, she would undoubtedly return to work under extreme stress and pressure to catch up, and/or having a very upset client (who's value in her company is in the millions) risking looking elsewhere due to the ensuing inconvenience.

I'm sure there are many out there with some real horror stories.

Regards,

Roger Foucault
Co-owner
ANT-TROPOLIS STUDIOS
www.ant-tropolis.com (http://www.ant-tropolis.com/)

rogerfoucault
03-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Sometimes the courts are on a tight timeline and the time it takes to advertise for volunteers takes too long, hence the "snap n' grab" approach by Sheriffs and Deputies going to public places for immediate jury selection.

Regards,

Roger Foucault
Co-owner
ANT-TROPOLIS STUDIOS

vanessalynn5484
03-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Can you imagine...

You are leisurely and gently squeezing tomatos when a shadow is cast over the lovely:rolleyes:, yet harsh, grocery store lighting. You look up to realize that the shadow that was cast, was not just any; but the shadow of the law! The sheriff looks at you and points his mighty, fearful finger in your direction. His voice booms with authority....

"Hey kid, drop the salad your time to serve your community in a group of your peers has come."

eek!

rogerfoucault
03-28-2007, 10:24 AM
:rofl:...I envision these "Sheriffs" dressed as 'Men in Black', dark sunglasses and suits, poised over you in a supermarket, demanding your presence being required for jury duty....hahahahahaha....

Regards,

Roger Foucault
Co-owner
ANT-TROPOLIS STUDIOS

rogerfoucault
03-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Just the opposite here-- I had a Don Knotts Image:eek:
A very SHAKEY Don Knotts--- hahahahahahaha....all dressed up in his deputy uniform from the Andy Griffith show! :rofl:

(Dear Lord, am I THAT old that I would REMEMBER this?).

Regards,

Roger Foucault
Co-owner
ANT-TROPOLIS STUDIOS

vanessalynn5484
03-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Hey Vanessalynn..
You really should get out more..:rofl:

Perhaps....but it's mostly do to my vivid and overactive imagination... & I have two small children so there is minor a lack of sanity thing too....

vanessalynn5484
03-28-2007, 11:12 AM
A very SHAKEY Don Knotts--- hahahahahahaha....all dressed up in his deputy uniform from the Andy Griffith show! :rofl:

(Dear Lord, am I THAT old that I would REMEMBER this?).

I remember from watching re-runs on "The Super Station" as a child. lol

Cherry Pop
03-28-2007, 11:22 AM
How can they just go into a mall and round people up? What if you were a single parent stopping to pick up milk and bread on your way to pick up your child from school and there is no other family to pick up your kid? Sounds to me that goes against civil rights or am I wrong here?

vanessalynn5484
03-28-2007, 11:29 AM
If that was the case they would probably release you of your duties. I think that would be under one of the reasons to let a juror go, especially if they are recruiting under those circumstances.

I have never been in that position so I am not sure...maybe they would offer to find and pay for suitable child care?

Cherry Pop
03-28-2007, 11:38 AM
If that was the case they would probably release you of your duties. I think that would be under one of the reasons to let a juror go, especially if they are recruiting under those circumstances.

I have never been in that position so I am not sure...maybe they would offer to find and pay for suitable child care?

I mean like that day that they pick you up from the mall. Like what if you were on your way to pick up your child and had nobody else to pick them up?! Would they still make you come with them on the bus or would they excuse you right there at the mall?

vanessalynn5484
03-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Hmmmm, They would have to do something or you would be guilty of neglecting your child. It wouldn't be your fault, but that's a valid point to make if the situation should arise.

I see what you mean. I imagine if you politely, yet firmly expressed this they would excuse you or work something out on the spot. I don't think a sheriff or whoever would want your daughter put out alone on the streets....I'd hope not anyways! :o

girdy
03-28-2007, 11:51 AM
What's everyone think of this idea?

For juries, make the primary group forming juries be people who are currently drawing EI. EI payment continues while the juror is sitting. The EI period is extended by the number of days that the person sits on the jury. A person is excluded from jury duty if they get an offer of employment.

The premise for someone drawing EI, is that they are available for work. Since they are not going to draw less money for jury duty, there is no appeal for lost wages/financial hardship, which seems to be the most common issue people have with jury duty.

vanessalynn5484
03-28-2007, 12:00 PM
That is a very good idea or atleast should be their first resort. As long as the difference between someone receiving sick benefits and EI is noted. People receiving sick benefits are unable to work for medical reasons.

girdy
03-28-2007, 12:04 PM
That is a very good idea or atleast should be their first resort. As long as the difference between someone receiving sick benefits and EI is noted. People receiving sick benefits are unable to work for medical reasons.

Agreed, there are benefits programs which need to be excluded - sickness, maternity, compassionate leave ..., it would apply to the regular benefits entitlement only.

vanessalynn5484
03-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Yes those would have to be disqualified, but trying to find people on regular EI benefits is a good idea.

Although someone could argue it would cut into their time of looking for work. So is it better to keep someone from looking for a job or to keep someone away from their job?

I guess I am kind of on the fence about that, for now.

trinity
03-28-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't think my employer would pay for jury duty, so it would cause me financial hardship, while I have a roommate to share rent, other than that I am 100% responsible for myself, essentially the sole breadwinner for my own household-car, insurance, student loan, phone, cable etc. I don't work a McJob either that pays single digits per hour. neither of my jobs do. 49 days is 7 weeks, based on my 2006 income from both jobs combined, 49 days with no employment would cost me $5048. Take away 980$ for the stipend and I am still out 4068$. I would plead insanity lol. Or pay me the 5K, I could use the vacation.

trinity
03-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Random selection from medicare or place of employment, malls or the grocery store. thats just lazy as far as I'm concerned.:rolleyes:

Or pick from employers that they know will pay!

If they paid us for jury duty, we'd have half our staff showing up at he courthouse yelling PICK ME PICK ME. of course, citizenship requirements, criminal record checks and known associates would disqualify most of 'em LOL. (just kidding dc squad and boyz n th hood! )

maprince
04-02-2007, 11:54 PM
I got paid the $47/day, lunch included, for serving on a Jury and my employer paid me as well, 40 hours/week. So it worked out to my benefit. He! He!

Cartersmom
04-03-2007, 12:35 AM
lol
I remember I got a summons for jury duty 3 days after I gave birth...
Got the papers the day after I got home from the hospital, what perfect timing on their part ..