PDA

View Full Version : Child to Cross Border

dollydoo
03-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Does anyone have any idea what you need to bring your child across the border? She is 2 1/2 and i was looking to bring her down for shopping?? Pls if anyone knows let me.

3 in a tree
03-13-2007, 07:48 PM
You will need picute id and proof that you have full custody. A letter frome her dad would work wonderfully. It just has to say that he gives permission or is aware that you are taking the child out of canada for waht ever the reason.
Hope this helps!

dollydoo
03-13-2007, 07:51 PM
So would I just bring her uptown to get a photo id of her... Motor vehicle? Also does the the letter need his info like SIN or anything?

rubycshells
03-13-2007, 08:03 PM
You do not need photo id for your child. Just the birth certificate. Also if you are separated or divorced you will need to have a letter from the other parent that they give permission for the child to go to the U.S.

If you are div. or sep. and have sole custody you still need a letter from the other parent.

Very rarely do they ask at the border for proof for the child but it does happen on the rare day. A friend of mine who lives in St. Stephen went to take his granddaughter over with him to fuel up and was denied entry because he didn't have a letter and proof of citizenship...and they knew him.

ilvrotties
03-13-2007, 08:17 PM
i just went over last thursday with my two boys. They did ask for picture id for both of them but nothing else. It was just me and the boys, their father was working. They didn't even ask about him.

Cherry Pop
03-14-2007, 01:21 AM
I called the US border before I took my daughter down. I haven't seen or heard from my daughter's sperm donor in almost 8 years so I explained my situation and asked what I needed to bring with me. They told me all I needed was her birth certificate so that is all I took. I had no problem taking her across. By the way she is 9 years old. There is a cut off age like maybe under 12 (can't remember if it's 12,16, or 18 for the before they need a pic) don't need a picture id.

dollydoo
03-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Well we went down today and we didnt need a picture id. All i needed was her birth certificate and a letter stating that her dad knew i was bringing her. However if we were married i didnt need it. Where we are common law i didnt need it either bit i did anyways. Cause you never know with them... The cut off age is 14 now under 14 no picture id.. Also we went to bangor and ate at a burger king and they tried to charge me $16 for a kids meal and a jr. whopper meal. Until the manager realized she was wrong she was arguing with me about it. It ended up being like $8 something. I cant believe that that company doesnt have a button like most places to change money to canadian... What a day.. On the bright side my 2 year old was great. A perfect kid.. I was amazed as im starting to potty train her and she didnt have any mistakes there or back. I was so proud of her.. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on the border issue...

megz
03-15-2007, 11:28 AM
All i needed was the medicare card and my drivers licence

Lemme_LQQK
03-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Is all that hassle really worth going across the border to shop or whatever just for a day or so? Along with the exchange on the money , I think I'd rather just stay home , save the gas / pay the gst/hst , and not have to show proof of who we are where ever I go , keep it Canadian I say.

I am in total disagreement with the changes at the border crossing , so I stay here where I KNOW what I am doing/ spending.
A lot of inconvenience if you ask me.

Tara
03-15-2007, 11:44 AM
We were there saturday and only had to show photo id and birth certificate for us and medicare and birth certificate for the kids. With gas groceries and a couple of non grocery items we figured we saved about 75 dollars and it was a nice family outing. We didnt have to pay any duty.

maprince
03-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Yes, you are required to have a Birth Certicate for your daughter...not the one you get at the hospital but the original government issued birth certificate or a notarized copy and a letter of consent from the non travelling parent stating the parents names, the child's name, where you are visiting, how long will you be visiting and signatures. Here is a great link for all detailed info :

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/abroad/with_child.aspx?lang=e

Cherry Pop
03-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Is all that hassle really worth going across the border to shop or whatever just for a day or so? Along with the exchange on the money , I think I'd rather just stay home , save the gas / pay the gst/hst , and not have to show proof of who we are where ever I go , keep it Canadian I say.

I am in total disagreement with the changes at the border crossing , so I stay here where I KNOW what I am doing/ spending.
A lot of inconvenience if you ask me.

I like going to Mardens which is worth it and I only go with friends and family so I don't have to drive and we share the price of gas. It is definately worth it!