PDA

View Full Version : Outflow??

T4
04-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Could someone please tell me what this place is supposed to be? I was coming out of TOPS with my 11yr old daughter and there were a bunch of people gathered in the front smoking. This one "gentleman" ( i use the word lightly) was cursing up a blue streak! When another patron from the restaurant (we all sort of left together) he said to the "gentleman" "nice talk around people" WELL.....that set the man off on another tyrant and he asked the man if he was a priest!!! And basically to mind his own effin business!!

I guess my thought is it is NOT the type of crowd if I were the owner of any one of those business on that street, that I would want around due to the attitude of some. What if the window of the furniture store got broken out...yes I know that's what they pay insurance for, but c'mon. What about the convenience store....the potential to be robbed. Just a bad location for WHATEVER the place is. I might also add that there were young children inside as well.

Any other thoughts on this....

Chinna Dah
04-01-2010, 09:25 PM
this is what I found when I googled it, it comes from the Telegraph Journal

"The second annual Report Card on Homelessness will be released on Thursday at Outflow, a new drop-in centre for people in need of a hot meal and welcoming environment. Outflow is located on Waterloo Street. The report card is produced by the Greater Saint John Homelessness Steering Committee. The report will be released at 11 a.m."

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/rss/article/994542

shadoww
04-01-2010, 09:44 PM
I was curious too, I always see a crowd there on our way to the gym. It is for down and out people to go for a hot meal and a sermon. I actually found the info on facebook about it.

T4
04-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Ok, so that's great..HOWEVER....

I don't think that people need to be accosted by those that go there. From what I could tell the environment isn't necessarily "welcoming" .. I don't know..maybe I need to go and have a closer look. I just know that my first "impression" was NOT a good one.

dpage466
04-03-2010, 03:07 AM
I dont normally get into these discussions because it just creates more hassle then its worth, but I have to comment on this an be done with it. In regards to T4's first comment, if you've been out on the street, had thousands of "people" walk by you and give you a look of complete disgust and disregard, how are you going to feel when someone finally talks to you first and its about how your speaking?
Im not trying to start any hate arguements towards anyone here, and would like that known, but Outflow is about helping people that for whatever reason cant help themselves, and the guy who runs it was actually a priest/minister (cant remeber which, baptist church on the west side). Its regretful that he had to choose that particular location to open his business but when you consider the amount of homeless/disadvanteged people in the uptown area, particularly waterloo area, its makes complete sense.
Not that I dont agree with you on stating that its not exactly nice to hear that kind of language at anytime, but your friend did make the comment first so you werent so much accosted as much as making the first strike. Im not justifying anything, I was not there myself an do not know what was said exactly, but if I was down on my luck and someone who was obviously doing better then myself would comment on my grammar I very well may have responded similarily.
Rant over, again no insult intended just an observation from what I understand of both sides.

T-Diddy
04-03-2010, 02:36 PM
My wife and I had the misfoutune of walking by there one evening on our stroll uptown. There was a group of about 20 people standing there waiting for it to open up. We didn't even know what "Outflow" was, but I do know that the group of people that we passed by certainly had no respect for anyone else other then themselves! As we walked down the city sidewalk (a sidewalk that we pay taxes on), most of them made no attempt to move out of our way, even after my wife and I said "excuse us" to them! Most of them were smoking and One girl even spat on the sidewalk as we walked by! The language comming from that group of individules was horriable to say the least! One guy was screaming at someone across the street, and another was sitting on the curb with his legs streatched out onto the city street! The scene that we witnessed, certanily did not look very favorable for our city! Now I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing the needy....but it was truly ridiculous! And when I refer to the group as them, I am speaking purly as them as a group of people, not as underprivliged.

T4
04-04-2010, 07:07 PM
dpage466 - I wasn't trying to bad mouth those that are in need. My concern was that there was inappropriate behavior. The gentleman that was cursing and swearing at another man was out of hand. The man that made a comment was not a "friend" of mine, just another patron from the restaurant. Everyone needs a hand up sometimes, I don't begrudge these people at all!! I guess my rant is that if they are going to use that location maybe a "suggestion" of "respectful" behavior needs to be reminded to them.

trinity
04-04-2010, 10:43 PM
And it's funny, usually the people in the worst situations are the politest, these ignoramuses must be just those who THINK they have it hard and that someone "owes" them something.

Tremc
04-04-2010, 11:40 PM
From what I've been told it's also a place where people can "safely" shoot up... needle exchange, safe environment and such. They have these places in some of the bigger cities out west.

T4
04-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Well that's good. However.....is there not a back area that they can go to smoke in? I mean I'm not saying that they don't have the right to be out in the front. But I'm sure customers of TOPS and other business may think twice before going there.

rhiley_08j
04-05-2010, 08:13 PM
It takes all kinds to make the world go round. Just because one person views something offensive or crude doesn't mean that another would. I think in order to get through life truly happy than we need to be tolerant of others. In all honesty, we are talking about a vernacular that is common place for most people. If you find it offensive, the best bet is to ignore it, move on, and not surround yourself by that type of environment. Pointing out a person's faults automatically puts them on the defensive, and a bad situation can easily turn into one a lot worse.

bradorna
04-06-2010, 10:29 AM
I personally find it very offensive to hear foul language in public, this being said I have never been to this spot where these people line up, but at any given time I can walk down any street in this city and be offended by the crap that comes out of peoples mouths. I find our teenagers are the worst for filthy language and disrespect for others walking anywhere near them. As a more mature person in age I have had to move out of their way many times because they think they have the God given right of passage of the whole sidewalk as well as curse and swear and push and shove each other around regardless of who is walking past them. A couple of years back I was actually knocked to the ground because of this insane behavior. Not necessarily defending the behavior of the homeless either, both parties are inconsiderate. Poverty or age, neither one is any excuse for rudeness or disrespect. I have always believed it is much easier to be polite than nasty when in public areas.

T4
04-06-2010, 07:32 PM
It takes all kinds to make the world go round. Just because one person views something offensive or crude doesn't mean that another would. I think in order to get through life truly happy than we need to be tolerant of others. In all honesty, we are talking about a vernacular that is common place for most people. If you find it offensive, the best bet is to ignore it, move on, and not surround yourself by that type of environment. Pointing out a person's faults automatically puts them on the defensive, and a bad situation can easily turn into one a lot worse.

I think that what I asked was taken out of context! I merely as asking as to "WHY" and that I found someone else cussing a blue streak and calling the other man a "pedophile" disturbing, especially since it was beside a very popular family place to eat. EVERYONE has the right to express there opinions... HOWEVER...when the said "gentleman" was spoken to about his language he retaliated by arguing with the other man!! These weren't young kids, but adults!! Why should I have to stop going to my favorite restaurant because they are being assisted? I mean give me a break...that's like saying your going to stop going to the after hours clinic or hospital because you might get germs from someone there!!

Please re READ my original posting before jumping the gun.

dpage466
04-07-2010, 01:59 AM
To T4,

Sorry for the can of worms i opened up, I had no intention of it taking the turn it did. I do agree especially in light of the comments that you have been able to add during your last post, and for misinterpreting your first post assuming it was a friend of yours. I know it isnt excusable but I was unaware of the exact verbiage that had been used, and due to the environments ive been around ( call centers mostly lol) vulgarity has unfortunately become a regular part of the conversations i hear, without even hearing it anymore.

rhiley_08j
04-08-2010, 08:42 PM
I think that what I asked was taken out of context! I merely as asking as to "WHY" and that I found someone else cussing a blue streak and calling the other man a "pedophile" disturbing, especially since it was beside a very popular family place to eat. EVERYONE has the right to express there opinions... HOWEVER...when the said "gentleman" was spoken to about his language he retaliated by arguing with the other man!! These weren't young kids, but adults!! Why should I have to stop going to my favorite restaurant because they are being assisted? I mean give me a break...that's like saying your going to stop going to the after hours clinic or hospital because you might get germs from someone there!!

Please re READ my original posting before jumping the gun.

I don't think I was jumping the gun, but rather merely stating an opinion. A rather diplomatic one at that. I was not telling you not visit one of you "favorite" restaurants. All I was trying to get across, is basically pick your battles wisely. The situation could have turned out a lot worse, and over what? Foul language.

I think there are a lot more things in life to be concerned about. Times have changed, we all can attest to this. What was once considered unacceptable is now considered commonplace. There is a steady decline in society, in almost every aspect of life. Does this make it acceptable? To many of us no, but, we must become tolerant of others and if we find things offensive then our best bet is to not surround ourselves by such things. If we don't want to be inconvenienced by these offensive situations than the only choice we have is to tolerate them. Grin and bear it, so to speak.

This is the point I was trying to get across. Not at all was I trying to put you on the offensive. For that I apologize.

T4
04-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks rhiley...I do grin and bear things...a lot. I guess it just makes it hard sometimes because as a single mother (of girls) I have tried to teach them right from wrong, to be helpful when needed and to lend a hand. Speak kindly to others and not to use harsh words. Then she is witness to what happened. I am one of the first to jump into the corner of someone that has to do with out...BUT doing without doesn't mean you lose sight of politeness.

T4
04-11-2010, 03:47 PM
It was interesting ... today I had a conversation with someone whom is an employee of one of the business establishments located on Waterloo St. Their response to Outflow was that "yes" it is something that is needed, BUT not in a business district. That many seniors have become afraid to walk past the people who are outside, because many are in groups. I just think that the people who are involved with wanting Outflow to succeed, need to rethink their location and or set some boundaries.