PDA

View Full Version : A Poll: Your Training VS Your Actual Job

ksbeckaa
03-12-2007, 08:35 AM
here's something we may find interesting:

What did you train for in terms of employment, and what are you actually doing to earn a living?

For example:

I trained to be a stage manager/lighting designer for professional theatre and now to earn a living I work as a graphic manipulator for a computer company.

What did you train to do? What do you really do?

trinity
03-12-2007, 08:43 AM
I have a Bachelor of Education and I work in a hotel.

Dan_Man
03-12-2007, 09:05 AM
I have a diploma in Electronics Engineering Technology Data Systems option from NBCC Saint John.

I'm an Air Traffic Management Installation Technologist for Nav Canada. It's pretty much what I studied for.

Marigold
03-12-2007, 09:50 AM
I took office technology at NBCC and now I work in an office for the federal government, so I'm doing exactly what I trained for. I do have two years of university as well, and I'm going back part time in the fall to do a business degree in HR Management.

amethyst
03-12-2007, 10:36 AM
I took microsoft office and am working using it.

sidenote* i hate it.

CrazyPeanut
03-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I have an Honors Science Degree In Biological Psychology (6 years of university) and I work in the Finance Department for a large company in their accounts payable department

skallywag
03-12-2007, 11:43 AM
I have a Poly Sci degree, a diploma in Elecronics Engineering, and certs in CET, MCSE, Network+, Security+, etc.....and I 1) I sleep under my desk, 2) walk around with a frown on my face so everyone thinks I'm overworked, and 3) hire junior resources as whipping boys/gals/scape goats.

MrsBeasley
03-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I studied two years of BSc. (Pre-Vet) switched to Animal Health Technology and work in an Animal Hospital as an AHT and as a Pharmacy Technician in a pharmacy. I also recently finished a correspondence course in Administrative Medical Computer. So I'm doing pretty much a good portion of what I've studied.

christine chittick
03-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I have a diploma in Computer Applications (Microsoft) and Computerized Accounting. I also took some computer hardware, and web page design during this course as well.

I am working as a cable contractor for the last 2yrs. Although I do use Excel to keep track of my work thats about all I use for what I have been trained to do. :)

maprince
03-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I graduated from Hospitality and Tourism Management: International Tourism at NBCC-St Andrews and now I am working in a call center....Hopefully not for much longer though, but I plan on staying in the field of tourism.

ksbeckaa
03-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I have to say..so far I am surprised that so many ppl are actually working in their preferred field. Kudos to you :)

Cherry Pop
03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
I took Office Technology at NBCC and I sit home on my butt,LOL! Actually only due to illness but I have talked to others who were in my class and many of them have had a hard time finding work and have gone back to school. I hope I have an easier time finding work.

janegirl
03-12-2007, 02:04 PM
I have a diploma in photo-journalism. I presently run a day care.lol:)
I love it though...

christine chittick
03-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Truthfully, I like being a cable contractor better. Reason being, I can work from home, be with my kids, and be on the go, versus being at a desk all day in an office (or home) but still, I can't sitting all day.

tred816
03-12-2007, 03:16 PM
I studied Human Services Counseling at NBCC Saint John
I went on to study Bookkeeping and Accounting Levels I,II & III a few years later.

I now work in an office for a security company. My title is "Office Coordinator".

I have to say that both portions of my education prepared me for this job.

rogerfoucault
03-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Trained as a professional animator in animation college- a two year course that I completed- went to work a few years in the actual animation and design industry but eventually landed a job for a year and a half working at a call centre when the industry status fell on hard times for me.

Now I'm a part-time drawing instructor and co-own my own business so essentially I've come a bit full-circle in doing what I WAS trained to do- offer animations and illustrations, whether it be for television, web, corporate, or print media.

Regards,

Roger Foucault
Co-owner
ANT-TROPOLIS STUDIOS
www.ant-tropolis.com (http://www.ant-tropolis.com/)
Email: roger@ant-tropolis.com

zeppelin
03-29-2007, 09:54 AM
I took the Office Technology course, and hated it but finished it anyway. Then went straight to university to study Arts and Education. But because of the cost I had to go back to the office work and now I am a receptionist.

rhiley_08j
03-29-2007, 10:30 AM
i took business at nbcc and now im a carpenter at the refinery!not really what i trained for lol!!!