PDA

View Full Version : building rules

marriedchickie
03-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Well I have a bit of a problem. We moved into a building that does not allow smoking in the building. Actually we picked this building because my husband is allergic to smoke and my daughter has weak lungs.

Guests in my home don't (and have never) asked to smoke in my apt, just out of respect. We have a bit of an overhang over the doors, and I don't even mind that the other tenants smoke there since the rain has been falling. They pay rent here and smoke outside, so I don't bother them about smoking right under the overhang when it's raining or snowing.

Now, here is the problem. I came home with my two daughters yesterday, one of whom has pneumonia, and in the back door INSIDE the building, were neighbors smoking. They had the door opened just a crack, and the back stairwell was FULL of smoke. We wanted to go around the front, but of course, the parking lot is a sheet of ice, and I have fallen already and gotten hurt pretty bad. So, I opened the door and there they stood, puffing away. I held the door open so some of the smoke would go outside, but we still had to walk through all that smoke to get to our apartment. I spoke to the care taker, and he said that he doesn't get involved in tenant disputes, but, it's a building RULE that there is no smoking. Does anyone have any advice, cuz I'm really upset and am not the kind of person to hold my opinions in. We're moving anyway, but still, extremely frustrating.

richunclepennywise
03-11-2007, 03:06 PM
ask the rentalsman

marriedchickie
03-11-2007, 03:14 PM
I did ask the rentalsman, they said to put our complaints in writing and give a copy to them and to the care taker. I told them about the rule for not smoking in the building and the lack of care in the parking lot, and he said to contact the landlord himself, not the care taker, but they are refusing to give us the number.

Chinna Dah
03-11-2007, 04:17 PM
why didnt you say something to the smokers. explain to them that your family is ill, and you would appreciate them not smoking in the building as this is why you moved here. Smokers (even though they smell) do have hearts and may just appolagize and move. Some times people blow things up to the extreme that is not necessary. Simply asking sometimes does work.

marriedchickie
03-12-2007, 01:37 AM
We have asked these peopel in the past about the smoking in the doorway, they apologize and step outside, and as soon as i'm down the stairs and through the first door, they're back in the hallway with the door cracked...sitting on the stairs. I've not been mean, jsut mentioned that this is a smoke free building, and asked them to please think about the reasons people move into a smoke free building...but i feel as though i'm banging my head against a brick wall:(

Chinna Dah
03-12-2007, 07:37 AM
ohhhh, now that is a little different then, seems like you have to take bigger steps now.

Mandy
03-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Make 3 copies of the letter/complaint.

One for your records
One for the caretaker, who should give it to the owner.
One for the rentalsman.

If the building is legally registered as a rental property, the rentalsman should have their information and be able to contact them regarding this issue. If it is not registered, then it should be brought the rentalsmen's attention that the property is being rented and the ground rules are being broken.

I would call their office to be sure; but that is what we had to do in the past.

Good Luck

marriedchickie
03-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I printed the letters off on my computer so i do have one for my records. I took one to the rentalsman, and gave 2 to my caretaker. One for them and one for the actual landlord.

I really don't like being mean about it, but we pay to live in a smoke free building, and like i said, under the overhang, that's fine with me. It's just frustrating walking through a wall of smoke to get to my apartment. The smell is clinging in the hallways, it stinks. No offense meant to anyone, I just wish that people would have respect for others.

Mandi
03-12-2007, 02:23 PM
I printed the letters off on my computer so i do have one for my records. I took one to the rentalsman, and gave 2 to my caretaker. One for them and one for the actual landlord.

I really don't like being mean about it, but we pay to live in a smoke free building, and like i said, under the overhang, that's fine with me. It's just frustrating walking through a wall of smoke to get to my apartment. The smell is clinging in the hallways, it stinks. No offense meant to anyone, I just wish that people would have respect for others.

I have to applaude you. I hate having to 'parent' others in a building where there are obvious, stated rules... but it has to be done (although it shouldn't) so good for you for letting them know that you pay them money for a reason. If you pay for a specific service , you should recieve that and never any less.

leaha2879
03-12-2007, 04:29 PM
would it happen to be james cameron, the care taker, lol

marriedchickie
03-13-2007, 12:44 AM
no it's not. I won't state his name, it would just cause problems and as you can see...i've enough of those. hehe.