PDA

View Full Version : Lord Beaverbrook Rink

scribe
01-17-2010, 11:25 AM
This year is the rinks 50th anniversary. A few of us have talked about having a few special events at the rink later this year. If yo have any rink memories - the country shows, the gospel hours, the wrestlers, the circuses, please post them here or pm me. We are also looking at doing a digital history display, so if you have any photos, programs or tickets, please let me know so we can include them. Thanks.

Crystalbeach
01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
My memory isn't the greatest but I thought the rink was older than 50 years...I thought that I was about 13 or so when it was opened..if that's the case the rink would be about 54 years old...

scribe
01-19-2010, 07:30 AM
The LBR did in fact open in 1960 and is 50 years old this year. It was opened by Lord Beaverbrook. I have some photos of the opening ceremony.

missy311
01-20-2010, 04:00 AM
I can't believe it has been 50 years since the LBR opened. I remember that day like it was yesterday. My mother used to run the canteen there for a number of years and I worked with her on occasion as well. There used to be a lot of acts that played at the arena, not to mention the boat show in the spring and probably the car shows.

Crystalbeach
01-20-2010, 11:10 AM
scribe...I was at the opening too..guess I thought I was younger...thanks for the info though.

scribe
01-20-2010, 11:21 AM
hi Crystal: can you remember anything about the opening.... can you describe it..... was there music? I know Beaverbrook gave a speech...any idea who else gave speeches? Was their a souvenir program? Anything you can describe will help make this digital exhibit on the LBR more meaningful.

Crystalbeach
01-20-2010, 02:38 PM
All I can remember is being out on the street..we were not in the rink..sorry but that's it for this old head of mine.

TrueLine
01-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey Missy, do you have a pic of your mom you could post? I spent alot of time in that rink in the late 60's, 70's and I can't remember what the canteen lady looked like. I do remember getting chips there that you couldn't get anywhere else. A friend says they were Lays, but I think they were called something else. DuLac or something similar?