PDA

View Full Version : Working from home??

asco11
01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Does anyone know of any "legit" companies that allow you to work from home in Saint John?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

V6Nside
01-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Almost all large companies have positions that allow you to work from home these days. I worked for Sitel and worked from home for 3 years.

sassy-shortie
01-12-2010, 07:11 PM
my friend works for xerox from home too.

liuxinbing
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
I had worked for google.com for two years.

asco11
01-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Almost all large companies have positions that allow you to work from home these days. I worked for Sitel and worked from home for 3 years.

So, Sitel offers home positions?

Thanks for the info guys!!

trinity
01-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Fairmont reservations also often offers home agent positions, and I had a friend who worked for IBM for a couple of years.

asco11
01-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks. :thumbsup:

brandenp
01-13-2010, 12:33 PM
So, Sitel offers home positions?

Thanks for the info guys!!

Sitel in Saint John does not offer home positions.

V6Nside
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Sitel in Saint John does not offer home positions.

I worked for Sitel for 7.5 years. The last 3 at home.

brandenp
01-13-2010, 01:14 PM

and i'm pushing eight years at Sitel myself. (and no not as an agent)
Nobody in the last two years has worked from home...

brandenp
01-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Not to mention. If you are who I think you are, you technically worked out of Nashville for Curriculum design?

In any event people the answer is no.... Sitel Saint John doesnt offer home positions 99.9% of the time, and hasn't for this site in a very long time.

V6Nside
01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
and i'm pushing eight years at Sitel myself. (and no not as an agent)
Nobody in the last two years has worked from home...

I know 2 others besides my slef that work for Sitel, in Saint John that work from home.

brandenp
01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm aware who works from home. Agents do not. Asco11 was probably referring to an agent position.

V6Nside
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Asco11, I worked for Sitel in SJ and was offered a position to work from home (not at an agent level). I know a lot of people from other large corporations in SJ that also work from home ranging from the agent level and up.
I'm not sure what you are looking for but at home jobs are out there, good luck on your search.

asco11
01-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys...

KRS
01-14-2010, 12:49 PM
So basically the answer is No. Usually you need to prove your self reliance before you can work from home.

Awhile back a friend of mine sent me a link to a company that offered home positions in different areas. One was for putting pizza orders through, maybe for Pizza Hut if I remember and another was for taking Payments for a provinces Energy. The pay seemed decent and even the interview was done online with a webcam. If I can find the info again I will post it for you.

asco11
01-14-2010, 01:57 PM
So basically the answer is No. Usually you need to prove your self reliance before you can work from home.

Awhile back a friend of mine sent me a link to a company that offered home positions in different areas. One was for putting pizza orders through, maybe for Pizza Hut if I remember and another was for taking Payments for a provinces Energy. The pay seemed decent and even the interview was done online with a webcam. If I can find the info again I will post it for you.

Great, thanks.

KRS
01-14-2010, 02:33 PM
This doesn't seem to be the same one but they do offer opportunities for Canadians.

http://www.workingsolutions.com

Do you hire Agents who reside outside of the United States?
Yes, we are able to contract with individuals from anywhere in the world; however, many call center projects are limited to US residents due to telecommunications expenses.

You may be able to speak with someone there that can direct you towards Canadian geared work from home companies.

asco11
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
This doesn't seem to be the same one but they do offer opportunities for Canadians.

http://www.workingsolutions.com

You may be able to speak with someone there that can direct you towards Canadian geared work from home companies.

Thanks alot KRS...

rhiley_08j
01-14-2010, 08:07 PM
You might want to try this (http://www.freelancer.com) as well.

asco11
01-14-2010, 09:50 PM
You might want to try this (http://www.freelancer.com) as well.

Thanks!

hello
01-15-2010, 12:29 PM
I found this news story that's pretty interesting:
http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/front/article/917367

Oromocto call centre employees to work from home

More than 130 people in Oromocto will have a drastic change in their work environment as one of the town’s largest employers closes its doors at the end of the month.

Transcom North America, formally NuComm, is sending its 134 employees home to work instead of operating out of the Oromocto Business Complex at 281 Restigouche Rd.

Bob Milne, communications manager for the inbound and outbound call centre, said the change comes after leasing issues couldn’t be worked out.

“We had to sublease the space from another company and there were some issues with us being able to stay long term, so rather than make last minute changes and lose employees, we decided to get out now while we still have all our employees,” he said.

“The only change for our employees is the desk they are sitting at. They’ll get the same pay, same benefits and hours, they just won’t have to travel to work, which is good especially this time of year.”

The call centre, which is part of Transcom Worldwide, has been located in the Oromocto centre since 2004.

(more at link) (http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/front/article/917367)

The company probably gets the most benefit out of that arrangement, but I think a lot of employees would like it... although a lot probably wouldn't either, if they have kids at home and computer/internet problems.

Actually, maybe if not all "Transcom North America" employees agree to the change, it will open work-at-home job openings and Saint Johners might be able to apply too. Even if they have meetings in Oromocto periodically, it's relatively close to Saint John.

asco11
01-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks "hello"...

Bill
01-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Before you spend a lot of time on this make sure you can meet the most frequent qualifiers for most of these positions.......

professional work environment ( you have to have separate office space, a place that can be closed off from other areas like a spare bedroom or basement office, has to be an area that other people can't be walking through and often has to be lockable)

While working, empty nest, this one gets a lot of people, many think they hit the mother lode on this work from home save all the money going out to day care win, win sorry, while working no screaming kids no barking dogs so if you have kids while you are working they still have to go to day care, while working your focus still has to be on the job not on the kids......

Some will supply equipment some will not, some will require you to travel (sometimes up to several months) for training, for example for Fairmont you have to go to Moncton for a month of training. BTW Fairmont has new hires starting February 8 , keep in mind, starting around 12.60 per hour, shift 8 hours between 6pm and 6 am (someone else has to be responsible for the kids), training for a month in Moncton.

There are some great work at home jobs out there but make sure you can meet the requirements before you spend a lot of time on it.

Bill

stripekv
02-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not but Fairmont Hotels is holding info sessions/interviews at the Trade and Convention Centre this Thursday from 10am - 7pm for at home reservation agents.