PDA

View Full Version : Punctuation & run-on sentences.

puppyluv
12-12-2006, 06:34 AM
There are so many good threads out there. But when they go on and on, without any punctuation or capital letters to start a new sentence, I just close that page out.
If you have something to say, and obviously people do or iSJ would not be as successful as it is, please use some proper techniques. It doesn't matter if you can't type fast, have typos or can't spell.

this is NOT the way to do it.

this is really hard to read when you have no idea where the sentence starts or ends because my sister does it when she says he said they did this but later they went on a picnic and saw a whale her car broke down because she lived on a street where there were no mechanics she had a nice tunafish sandwich her little one decided to watch elmo csi was her choice the snow started falling she went to bed:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

kaj27
12-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Holy reposts!

notfarnow
12-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Hey puppylove, I agree 100%!!

However, you know what else makes text hard to read? Having it all centered instead of left-justified ;)

hiph0p
12-12-2006, 12:27 PM
my keyboard sucks and half the time i have to go back and fix the letters that didnt work so i dont bother i dont find it hard to read at all

Nail
12-12-2006, 12:51 PM
lolz i no axackly wut ur takkin abot that zi sooooo funny that i forgetd how 2 laugh

Seriously though, folks, this is an internet epidemic.

Mandi
12-12-2006, 01:02 PM
-chuckle- I once had a problem where my space key didn't work. SoeverythingItypedwasreallyhardtoread,butnoonecomp lained(wowIknow) Or I would,type,like,this. I was very happy to get a new one. two days of that was poopy.

Truthiness Inc
12-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi Thread

Do schools teach kids sentence structure, or how to use a coma or period, is spelling even important now a days?

Seems most kids are trying to perfect just the right amount of underwear to pants that should be hanging out, and then tucking most of it into your shirt, which of course as we all know is the sexiest fashion statement known to mankind! It’s off the hizzle fazzile!

I was shot by the truth 9 times!

Truthiness Inc

puppyluv
12-12-2006, 05:31 PM
My apologies of there was a few reposts..I was hitting enter and the site went offline for a minute... My thinking is, if someone has something they want to say, and want people to actually read it, try using punctuation.

Lemme_LQQK
12-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Thread

Do schools teach kids sentence structure, or how to use a coma or period, is spelling even important now a days?

Seems most kids are trying to perfect just the right amount of underwear to pants that should be hanging out, and then tucking most of it into your shirt, which of course as we all know is the sexiest fashion statement known to mankind! It’s off the hizzle fazzile!

Truthiness Inc

Hi Ness , May I call you Ness ?

I c "Hookt on Foniks Werkt For You "

je12122
12-12-2006, 11:16 PM
ummmm...most of the people on this site aren't kids, they are parents of kids.

Hi Thread

Truthiness Inc

oasis
12-13-2006, 05:03 AM
ummmm...most of the people on this site aren't kids, they are parents of kids.

That's the scary part of this topic!

I tok the evlen wood sped reding corce myslf!

wildberry
12-13-2006, 06:34 AM
Well, I am a student and when I am at school I make sure to use proper puntuation;however, I don't tend to be so anal when I'm online. I think it's because I know how to use puntuation properly, and it's really a pain it the butt! Just to let you know puppluv, you are over using your commas and using them in places they don't need to be. LOL

puppyluv
12-13-2006, 07:07 AM
Well, I am a student and when I am at school I make sure to use proper puntuation;however, I don't tend to be so anal when I'm online. I think it's because I know how to use puntuation properly, and it's really a pain it the butt! Just to let you know puppluv, you are over using your commas and using them in places they don't need to be. LOL

Thank you for the tip...those comma's are always a pain and I try to use spell check as I type too fast, and it never points out too many ( and I use grammar check too. But at least I am USING punctuation.

I just think if someone has something they feel is important enough to say, why wouldn’t they try and ensure people would read it or could read it.

je12122
12-13-2006, 08:49 AM
I agree, though I admit there are times where I have ranted and gone on and on or spelled things incorrectly in a hurry. Overall though I don't think I am that bad.

Thank you for the tip...those comma's are always a pain and I try to use spell check as I type too fast, and it never points out too many ( and I use grammar check too. But at least I am USING punctuation.

I just think if someone has something they feel is important enough to say, why wouldn’t they try and ensure people would read it or could read it.

Nail
12-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Spelling errors are sometimes typos; BUT, when repeated they remove all doubt (ie: Puntuation - should read Punctuation)

Then we run into possessives-when to use the Apostrophe and "S". Apostrophes should only be used by entities in possession or when replacing letters in a contraction (ie:"those comma's are always a pain" - Should read: "those commas are always a pain").

Then there are the infamous Your<>You're, There<Their<They're, To<Two<Too problems etc...

Meh, I'm with the person who said they dont get too upset online. I'd go crazy otherwise.

KRS
01-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Punctuation is the key.

lizard_lover
01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I went to Hampton high for grade 11 and 12, and had GREAT Mrs. Donovan...she taught me so much about punctuation and sentence structure. Now, I do not use it properly all the time, but I at least try to punctuate semi-properly. Because of what she did, I get SO ANAL when I read threads where there is absolutely no punctuation or at least capitals where a new sentence should be starting...

dan j
01-09-2008, 03:17 PM
my keyboard sucks and half the time i have to go back and fix the letters that didnt work so i dont bother i dont find it hard to read at all

Get a new keyboard? Also, are your commas or periods broken? If a lettre mixes up it isn't that big of a deal but if you write the way you do it isn't because your keyboard is broken it is because you don't know how or are too lazy to use punctuation.

The proper way should have been:

My keyboard sucks and half of the time I have to go back and fix the letters that didn't work so I don't bother going back and fixing the mistakes. I don't find it that hard to read at all.

rhiley_08j
01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Get a new keyboard? Also, are your commas or periods broken? If a lettre mixes up it isn't that big of a deal but if you write the way you do it isn't because your keyboard is broken it is because you don't know how or are too lazy to use punctuation.

The proper way should have been:

My keyboard sucks and half of the time I have to go back and fix the letters that didn't work so I don't bother going back and fixing the mistakes. I don't find it that hard to read at all.

Holy Crap, rare occasion! Dan used capital letters and proper punctuation. Call the authorities, something must be wrong. LOL:rofl:

lizard_lover
01-09-2008, 03:39 PM
come on now you two, be nice!

rhiley_08j
01-09-2008, 03:41 PM
come on now you two, be nice!

Wouldn't be anything but. Lizard, shame on you for trying to rock the boat. LOL:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

wildberry
01-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Actually, I think it should be:

My keyboard sucks, and half of the time I half to go back and fix letters that didn't work, so I don't bother going back and fixing mistakes. I don't find it that hard to read at all.

rhiley_08j
01-09-2008, 04:26 PM

My keyboard sucks, and half of the time I half to go back and fix letters that didn't work, so I don't bother going back and fixing mistakes. I don't find it that hard to read at all.

Nevermind... not time for a grammar lesson.;)

dan j
01-09-2008, 04:28 PM
It is true that I am not known to use capital letters. I didn't know that it annoyed other users until now. I'll try to make sure I use capitals from now on. I was not aware that my punctuation was bad though.

rhiley_08j
01-09-2008, 04:32 PM
It is true that I am not known to use capital letters. I didn't know that it annoyed other users until now. I'll try to make sure I use capitals from now on. I was not aware that my punctuation was bad though.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't worry about it Dan. If they don't like it, they don't have to read your posts. I was just trying to get a rise out of you. Hope I didn't hurt your feelings. Apparently I need to work on being nicer. :D

dan j
01-09-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm not hurt. I just wouldn't want someone to ignore what I have to say because I don't say it properly or use bad format.

MrsBeasley
01-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Actually the second "half" should be "have"
LOL

beachnut
01-10-2008, 12:34 AM

I find this pretty hilarious. Because why do we go to school? So we can learn things and, in turn, use them in the real world. If you know how to use proper punctuation, then use it. School is for learning this stuff and then you're supposed to practice it. But when you leave it behind when you are done for the day or done your homework, then really the whole point for learning it flys out the window.

Then you graduate, and then what? You're an adult not writing properly, which makes you look like an idiot. The internet was starting to become popular when i was about 15/16.. before that, pretty much the only time we wrote was for the purpose of school, sometimes notes back and forth to friends. But even then we used periods, commas, and capital letters. You'd be so USED to using them, mostly because it was just subconsciously understood that not using them would mean the letters made NO sense, or we'd be wasting time trying to understand them. The same with the internet. What it all comes down to is lazyness, which is also funny, because it takes no time to type out a few sentences on a computer compared to writing them by hand, and on here we can fix our errors in half a second.

I can't stand reading a run on paragraph. I don't even care what it says. The lack of proper grammar just makes me think the person is a complete idiot who doesn't even care if they get their point across or not. Half the time those people are writing mumbojumbo anyways. So I guess really they are doing us a service by making us not want to read it.

ps. i believe i also know proper punctuation, for the most part, and i don't find it a pain in the butt one bit. In fact, i notice right away (usually) when i miss something or just mistype it, and it's more of a pain in the butt to leave it than to fix it. It's just second nature now.

Flaxie
01-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Beachnut,

You make a great point; but I can not tell if your gammar and punctuation errors are intentional or not. LOL

rhiley_08j
01-10-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't think that certain people on here should criticize others use of grammar when they themselves don't make proper use of it. If a person chooses to "toot their own horn" than they should edit what they post.

wildberry
01-10-2008, 06:13 PM
I Agree!! We all make mistakes! LOL

beachnut
01-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Beachnut,

You make a great point; but I can not tell if your gammar and punctuation errors are intentional or not. LOL

I'm not saying i don't have grammar or puncuation errors in my post (but you can still read it and understand it right?).. and (to another poster) i know we all make mistakes.. but this post wasn't about ppl making mistakes, puncuation or otherwise. And it's really annoying when someone starts a post complaining about ppl who use practiclly NO puncuation at all, making it difficult to read something, and then other ppl start nit picking everyone's posts for a spelling error or they forgot to put in an apostrophe.

No.. any errors i made in that post was not intentional. That's ridiculous. Was you "gammar" error intentional?

Typing out a bunch of words and trying to pass them off as a sentence or a paragraph isn't a mistake. It's the person being a complete idiot when it comes to grammar and puncuation. And it happens a lot on here.

dan j
01-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Beachnut, your posts are easy to read and well thought out. Any slight errors are just that, an error and not ignorance and laziness.

rhiley_08j
01-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Patience my dear grasshopper. LOL:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jennifer25ca2006
01-12-2008, 02:49 AM
I hate puncutation, I do not use it it sucks. :)

Flaxie
01-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Beachnut,

I obviously offended you unintentionally. I greed with your post and thought it was cute that there were a few minor errors in it. :D

Intrepid
01-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Beachnut,

I obviously offended you unintentionally. I greed with your post and thought it was cute that there were a few minor errors in it. :D

His/her post was fine really... it seems like "flies" and "laziness" were the only errors (but bigger ones like "subconsciously" were right :))

If you want to get technical, you misspelled "cannot" in your post :biggrin:
(I don't know why it became one word, but that's the way it's done for some reason)

But Beachnut wrote a lot of text, so on a percentage basis, she had fewer errors ;)

Flaxie
01-12-2008, 08:15 PM
LOL there you go! :rofl: