PDA

View Full Version : Costco Saint John

Cherry Pop
12-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Anyone know how to apply for jobs at this new location?

puppyluv
12-09-2009, 01:23 PM
havent seen the listing up on their website yet.

jiggypat23
12-09-2009, 09:35 PM
anyone when there supose to open?

puppyluv
12-10-2009, 05:25 AM
May

puppyluv
12-11-2009, 03:33 PM
found the link!
http://www.costco.ca/service/FeaturePageLeftNav.aspx?productno=10324062#NFLD

click on the NB link.

puppyluv
01-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Their hiring way is laughable..if not astoundingly pathetic.
Their link on their site for Sj goes to the Ottawa branch. Ottawa says email SJ. So we emailed Moncton today to find out where we should send a resume.
Their reply :send email: Replied back asking where to send it? To them in Moncton.
Sent it with cover letter ( and asked for a read reciept). It came back as :deleted without being read:

How impressive is that? Whoever HR for their store is, is sorely lacking in ANY human relations!

shadoww
01-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Wow! I would write a letter to their head office.

puppyluv
01-06-2010, 01:28 PM
If I can find where that is! I have been scouring the site.

puppyluv
01-06-2010, 01:42 PM
so they (moncton) emailed me back as I had sent them an email asking why would they even say to email the resume to them if they werent going to read it?
this is their reply

All resumes are saved into a different folder and email deleted due to size restrictions in outlook and not necessarily read right away as hiring has not begun. I hope you can appreciate that 100's of applications are being received and we don't keep them in our email. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

So isj, my question is..can you save an attatchment without opening the email????? I wasnt aware one could...so I also guess the cover letter would not have been read for my friend either.

makes me wonder why i am a member there

trinity
01-06-2010, 01:57 PM
at the very least they could be honest about it and say they are not yet accepting applications until the store is nearer to being open; as someone who did the hiring for one department in a new business just two years ago that wasn't open yet, I know that getting resumes for a place that isn't even finished yet is extremely hard to manage.

puppyluv
01-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Ah, but it is being handed over to Costco themselves this month. They also have their own link on their website as well..so, I am putting the onus back on them for poor HR relations.

T4
01-06-2010, 02:49 PM
I heard that they wouldn't accept resumes until 12 wks before the store opens ( I could be wrong on the time frame) only because they don't bother to look at them before that.

tag
01-08-2010, 10:18 AM
when we questioned the "send here", and "deleted without being read" e-mails.....I actually got a call in the evening from someone in the Moncton store. He says that - the info. in all the recieved resumes is saved to be read later, then the e-mail is deleted. Wether that is correct, or not, I thought that getting a call from them to explain our concerns was pretty responsible.

redsheila2006
01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
I was told by my son that a friend of his got hired on as a cashier for 14$/hr, not sure how true it is but i will see if I can get more info.

Clancy
01-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Yes, you can save an attachment without opening the email. Using microsoft outlook, you can save from the preview pane.

so they (moncton) emailed me back as I had sent them an email asking why would they even say to email the resume to them if they werent going to read it?
this is their reply

All resumes are saved into a different folder and email deleted due to size restrictions in outlook and not necessarily read right away as hiring has not begun. I hope you can appreciate that 100's of applications are being received and we don't keep them in our email. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

So isj, my question is..can you save an attatchment without opening the email????? I wasnt aware one could...so I also guess the cover letter would not have been read for my friend either.

makes me wonder why i am a member there

puppyluv
01-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Thank You Clancy!

justbrowsing
02-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Job Fair for the new costco:

Friday, March 5 12-8
Saturday, March 6 9-5
Sunday, March 7 9-3

sanne
02-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Where?

justbrowsing
02-13-2010, 10:30 PM
At their new building

ksbeckaa
02-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Anyone know when this place opens?

shadoww
02-25-2010, 07:20 AM
The Facebook group says May 27th is the Grand Opening!

justbrowsing
02-25-2010, 09:40 AM
I heard that the tentative opening date is May 27!

habsfan10
02-25-2010, 04:24 PM
It was in the newspaper....Hiring 100 people 11$-22$ depending on position and experience. They also look for people with lengthly job reports because they don't like turn around, that is why they pay so much to start. They like to keep people for a long period of time instead of people jumping from job to job. This I heard from someone that works in the moncton store...

Crystalbeach
02-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Newspaper yesterday said May 27th....I'm really looking forward to it.

Zoitsa
02-26-2010, 04:33 PM
The job fair starts at the new store in Eastpoint on March 5th between 10 in the morning and 8:00 at night, March 6th between 10 in the morning until 5PM and the 7th from 10 in the morning until 3 in the afternoon.

goose
02-26-2010, 07:10 PM
may 27

KristinRox
02-28-2010, 07:11 PM
CHSJ news actually says that the job fair starts at different times.

Friday March 5 10-8
Saturday, March 6 10-5
Sunday, March 7 10-3

just thought Id let you know. :0)

Job Fair for the new costco:

Friday, March 5 12-8
Saturday, March 6 9-5
Sunday, March 7 9-3

puppyluv
03-02-2010, 04:47 AM
according to the Costo Website
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/puppyluvs2dawgs/ostco.jpg

Chinna Dah
03-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Was anyone able to get in today? We went around 2 pm and was told to come back tomorrow

magoosmomma
03-05-2010, 05:48 PM
They stopped letting people in around noon.. We got there around 1045 and didnt sit down to be interviewed til closer to 4.

MrsBeasley
03-05-2010, 09:28 PM
They stopped letting people in around noon.. We got there around 1045 and didnt sit down to be interviewed til closer to 4.

In other words.....take food and drinks with you as well as someone to stand in line with you to hold your place if you have to go potty!!!

trinity
03-06-2010, 01:23 AM
ewww...I might be out of luck, I can't go til noon Saturday because I am working, and I can't go Sunday at all for the same reason.

magoosmomma
03-06-2010, 05:06 AM
they have a box you can drop your resume in. It takes so long because they interview on the spot and its suppose to be only 3 questions they ask.. Mine was the entire booklet of questions(3 pages) Good sign right? lol

tag
03-06-2010, 07:43 AM
ok, so....I got there at 1 PM on Fri, after reading on the web site that the doors would open at 10 AM and then finding out that was a misprint and they really opened at noon, and was told they were full for the day. Was told to come back on Sat., and the doors would "open at 9 AM". I got there at 7:50, and was told they were full for the day, come back Sunday.
I asked the guy at the door, the same guy, why he told me that the doors would open at 9 AM if they were going to open them early.
He said "well, people were lining up at 6:30" So?! Do like other big name stores, and on the first day, give out tickets to the people who couldn't get in, so they had a chance the next day. That is fair all around. Some people could only come on certain days, at certain times, had to get babysitters, etc.
don't tell the applicants one thing and do another.
that's nuts.
It is a big chain, lots of grand openings in the past. They should know how to staff for a job fair by now
For a new store in town, to have a huge job fair (that is not even hiring ANY full time jobs), they are already leaving a bad taste in people's mouths.
in my humble opinion

Crystalbeach
03-06-2010, 08:20 AM
I figure if you wait until about the middle of June you probably will get hired right away..half of the staff will probably be quitting by then as that is what happens in a lot of new retail businesses.

donteatrawpotatoes
03-06-2010, 10:31 AM
they have a box you can drop your resume in. It takes so long because they interview on the spot and its suppose to be only 3 questions they ask.. Mine was the entire booklet of questions(3 pages) Good sign right? lol
Wow! I would say so!! good luck! :) did they tell you they'd try to find a place there?

trinity
03-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Soooooo, zero point in dropping by after I get off work at 1 today?????

Angie C
03-06-2010, 12:24 PM
i showed up at 8:30 and they told me to try again tomorrow.I then asked if I could drop off my resume and he said they already had 3000 so there was no point.What kind of job fair is this?IMO the people who put this together seem to have no idea what they are doing.

trinity
03-06-2010, 01:05 PM
It does sound as if they had NO idea the demand in SJ for jobs that pay a living wage. Perhaps they should have accepted resumes online first in a less physically confrontational manner, and then held a job fair for what they couldn't fill. This wasn't a job fair with departments short-listing candidates for actual interviews, like bakery staff with cooking training, cleaning staff with institutional experience etc; this sounds like a cattle call for first in, most desperate.

puppyluv
03-06-2010, 05:10 PM
They must have had an idea..they opened BOTH days way before they were supposed too, were rude on how they approached the other candidates telling them they were full up...forgetting these people are their potential customers in the future..
We have their Ontario email and will be writing a letter concerning the issues.

magoosmomma
03-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Wow! I would say so!! good luck! :) did they tell you they'd try to find a place there?
They said I would be hearing from them...

donteatrawpotatoes
03-06-2010, 05:55 PM
They said I would be hearing from them...
Excellent! Good for you! I wish I could have made it, I'm not above camping out at 6 am hahahaha, but I had work all three days :(

It sounds like they were rude to a lot of people though :) huge bummer.

Angie C
03-06-2010, 06:45 PM
coupld you post the ontario email or pm with it please?

trinity
03-07-2010, 01:09 AM
I hope that some decent, qualified people actually get jobs, and not just those with nothing better to do with their time. Best of luck to all those who got in, I didn't even try since I had to work all day Friday from noon-11 pm and Saturday till noon. Now I am working overnight tonight til 7 am, but no way will I have the energy to stand in line after working all night, since I have to "work" again today on Sunday at Rhoda's.

puppyluv
03-07-2010, 05:42 AM
2 friends of mine had 3 interviews yesterday with them and another only made it through 2.
I will pm the address Angie C.

FutureChief88
03-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Hey Puppy.. Could you also PM me the addy please. I would like to voice a few concerns myself.

MrsBeasley
03-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I figure if you wait until about the middle of June you probably will get hired right away..half of the staff will probably be quitting by then as that is what happens in a lot of new retail businesses.

Probably the best approach by far!!! Or go toward the end of summer when students will be leaving for college.

IMO they offer higher than normal wages for warehouse/retail positions than other employers.....chances are most employees will end up spending the extra wages on goods and the company wins all around......and really you end up making nothing much more than if you worked at McDonalds for $9/hr.

Good luck to anyone who did manage to secure an interview.

donteatrawpotatoes
03-08-2010, 04:55 PM
hahaha, I can't even imagine someone crazy enough to leave that job in this city.

KristinRox
03-14-2010, 11:02 PM
I went all three days to the job fair. On friday I got there at 4, they said that they were full and to come back on Saturday. The guy told me theyd be "opeing the doors" at 9am. So I showed up at 7:30am. I got to the doors and he said "Im sorry were full, come back tomorrow at 9am". I came back the next day to the same song and dance.
IMO they were very very very unorganized. They should have come up with a MUCH better way of sifting through the applicants. My father in law went and he sat from when the doors opened until they closed. He had 3 interviews. No offense, but if they were THAT busy, there should be no need for 3 interviews. The successful applicants should have come another time/day.
Because their hiring was so zoo-like. I cant believe such a huge chain, that has done a job fair many, many times before would be so ill prepared, and then have horrible people at their front door turning people away. Not a good reflection of what is to come.

KRS
03-18-2010, 01:57 AM
What makes you think they care. Corporations don't care if you had problems with their interview procedures. They are here to make money. You will just get some automated response and then you will get blown off.

puppyluv
03-18-2010, 04:52 AM
because we are their future customers and they can not take allot of bad publicity at this point with their "membership drive"

donteatrawpotatoes
03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
did anyone hear back yet, or know when people are supposed to? I didn't apply there, but know a lot of people who did, and I'm insanely curious! (ahhaaha, one of my friends say they pretty much wait by the mail box daily at this point o.o) Any who, just curious :D

shadoww
03-22-2010, 01:25 PM
On their facebook group it said Orientation was starting today.

trinity
04-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Does anyone know of ANYONE else who actually got anything other than part time out of this botch job of a job fair?

donteatrawpotatoes
04-08-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't even know anyone who got a part time job. I wish I did, but I'm happy for everyone who got what they wanted :)

puppyluv
04-10-2010, 06:52 AM
They are hiring part time now so that they can weed out the ones they aren't interested in and then possibly offer full time is what they were telling some of the people. Yes i do know some of the people that were hired.

trinity
04-10-2010, 07:22 AM
It really sucks for a few of my acquaintances who cannot leave their full time jobs on speculation of full time maybe eventually some day and so turned it down.

KristinRox
04-10-2010, 09:45 PM
I know a couple of people that got hired. They were all told that it was a part time basis at first. Costco wants to make sure the people that they hired are a right fit. If they are a right fit, some will turn into full time, others will stay part time. Must make it hard for people to make a concise choice.

trinity
04-11-2010, 01:42 AM
I just don't "get" that hiring policy. People were interviewed intensively in a day-long concentration camp style lineup, do they not trust their own instincts when hiring? When I was doing the hiring for my previous position, I knew within 5 minutes of sitting down with a person if I wanted them on my team or not, and I was only wrong once out of the 22 hires I did that year, I hired someone who I thought would be good and she failed to show up ever or return phone calls after accepting the job, but then again, there might have been circumstances that came up that were beyond her control. 4 times I was "forced" to hire someone I did not really want, because we were desperate, and all 4 were a total disaster from day 1. I still count those as knowing what I wanted, but we were in an extreme time crunch to get someone on the job. Some of my interviews were only 10-15 minutes long and in a hospitality industry with an average retention rate of 44%, I calculated ours at 70 %.

inuit
04-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Is Cosco opening soon? May? Weird they have no bags in the store.

trinity
04-13-2010, 12:16 AM
They have to be able to see all your purchases out in the open so they can check your carts on the way out, it must cut down on theft or something, because I don't think they even allow you to bag your own at the cash, I've been there 4 times in the past year and no one does. At least they have carts,unlike McAllister Mall.

puppyluv
04-13-2010, 05:09 AM
Inuit, May is still the date. but they re-use boxes from products that are shipped in to save on bags. ( I like that) or you can bring your own :)

inuit
04-13-2010, 06:50 AM
I noticed too that most of their products are too big to fit into bags. LOL I was in the one in Moncton (my son has a card) and almost dropped dead at the meat prices. I am excited about the prospect of our one opening. Oh the meat and the prices on vitamins was indecent. Can't wait.

Chinna Dah
04-13-2010, 08:07 AM
I bring my own bags every time. The only problem is it slows the cashier down as bagging 6 or 7 hundred dollars worth of stuff takes awhile, but they usually bring another person over to help.

As for checking at the door, the only thing I ever notice is if you buy multiple items they wll ask if that is right. For example we always buy 3 boxes of clariton for allergies, they always ask if we did buy 3 or if it was a mistake.

livkat
04-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Alot of the items are to big to be bagged too.

Also trinity, the mall now has special carts you can push around with your purchases.

trinity
04-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Alot of the items are to big to be bagged too.

Also trinity, the mall now has special carts you can push around with your purchases.

Which are nowhere near big enough, I was there at Java Moose the other day and saw them, but I'm not hijacking the thread. Costco has carts, that's all I need to know. I'm suffering from a temporary condition that causes random backaches, if I can't lean, I can't shop, at least not until I get to see the dr in two weeks because i never know when a cramp is going to seize me up. I'm actually wondering how Costco will manage to KEEP their carts in the parking lot and not lose them, they do seem extra large and extra expensive :-)

You really do have to check the prices though, because not everything is a deal all the time. Bigger isn't necessarily better. Like my brand of catfood, when I divided their case price by 48, I got about 50 cents, and sometimes the can comes on sale at Superstore or Sobeys for 46, plus do I really want that much cat food taking up space? Also, if I buy the large can instead of the small, it's cheaper all the time. My brand of yogurt was like 8.99 for 24 containers (37 cents each), and often I get a sale on the 16 pack for like 5.69 (35 cents)

Chinna Dah
04-14-2010, 08:58 PM
I get boxes of Splenda 700 packages for 21.99 here at any store they are 9.99 for 200 packages, that is a SUPER savings we usually buy 2 or 3 at a time. Also my husband uses Clariton allergy meds, 24.99 a box for 30 tablets ( quick disolve) at Costco we get a 90 tablets for 31.99.

The meat is FANTASTIC!! A big tray of chicken breast ( with bone and skin) for about 18.00 here the same amount is usually close to 30.00 and they are smaller breast. there is just so much more I could go on forever!