PDA

View Full Version : Dispute leaves holiday travelers treeless in Seattle

Bawango
12-11-2006, 09:25 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/10/airport.christmas.trees.ap/index.html

I am not by anyway anti-Judaism or have anything against anyone who practices the faith. Also I am not starting this as a means for Judaism or Jewish people to be bashed. I was watching CNN and thought that what happened here is ridiculous.
This is one of those things that maybe this Rabbi should have just let go. I understand wanting your culture and religion be recognized but I think what instead happened here just made the Jewish faith look like the Grinch.
Also a Christmas tree is just a tree. As a catholic I never really associated this as something that has to do with being a Catholic or Christian. It’s just something that in time it got associated with Christmas. This is what Wikipedia has under its history for the Christmas tree.
"With likely origins in European pre-Christian pagan cultures, the Christmas tree has gained an extensive history and become a common sight during the winter season in numerous cultures."

So basically it’s just a tree that symbolizes the holiday season and not Christianity or Catholicism. I can understand him wanting menorahs put up if the airport had crucifixes up on display.
Some people need to lighten and up and get a life. It’s a freakin' decoration. The Menorah under Wikipedia is:
"The menorah (Hebrew: מנורה), is a seven branched candelabrum to be lit by olive oil in the Tabernacle and the Temple in Jerusalem. The menorah is one of the oldest symbols of the Jewish people. It is said to symbolize the burning bush as seen by Moses on Mount Sinai (Exodus 25)."
See the difference folks?!
Christmas tree= holiday decor
Menorah = Symbol of Jewish faith.
Has it come this? Now when decorating public places for the holidays we will now have to be careful as we might offend a religion or culture and possibly even face legal action? What a world we live in.

Mandi
12-11-2006, 10:08 PM
I have always celebrated christmas without much thought to associating religion to it, I mean , a big fat guy in a red suit doesn't resemble a picture of nativity to me...