View Full Version : does anyone know about this tax question?

03-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know if you're married and have children, who don't attend daycare or a babysitter, if you can claim them on income taxes?
I say you can't,but some say you can.I know if your single you can claim equilivent to spouse, or can claim childcare expenses, but neither apply.
Any info is appreciated thanks

baseball 23
03-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Years ago you could, now you can't - not an eligible dependent. To be an eligible dependent they have to be infirm or disabled or something like that.

03-05-2007, 12:51 PM
ok thanks, I thought I was right

03-05-2007, 04:58 PM
I 'm pretty sure you can. You don't get the same exemption as for a spouse, but they are dependents. Call the number in the book or look up the number for the local Revenue Canada They can tell you!

03-05-2007, 05:48 PM
you can not claim a child if you have a spouse and are ineligible to claim them (make too much).... I had called about this a few years ago

03-05-2007, 08:33 PM
If you are not married or living commonlaw and have a child under the age of 18 you can claim an 'equivalent to spouse' amount for said child. please take into consideration any monies which said child might have earned during the tax year when doing the math on the allowable amount. Just for your info you can take your taxes into H & R BLock and they will do a FREE estimate on refund and invoice for you!

03-08-2007, 10:01 PM
sanstang, your another one that doesn't read or understand the question !! She already stated that she was 'married',duh....Anyway ,there is a toll free number in the book for questions such as this on page six in the 'blue pages' of your phone book. - Rick.

03-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Some people are SO rude on here!

Anyway, you can't claim children anymore. :( We get the child tax benefit now and that is it. PLUS we have to claim it on our taxes and end up paying around $30 of it back!! CRAZY! :P Julie