PDA

View Full Version : Stem Cells: More Human Then HUman

Truthiness Inc
12-11-2006, 05:34 PM
There exists a widespread controversy over stem cell research that emanates from the techniques used in the creation and usage of stem cells. Embryonic stem cell research is particularly controversial because, with the present state of technology, starting a stem cell line requires the destruction of a human embryo and/or therapeutic cloning. Opponents of the research argue that this practice is a slippery slope to reproductive cloning and tantamount to the instrumentalization of a human being. Contrarily, medical researchers in the field argue that it is necessary to pursue embryonic stem cell research because the resultant technologies are expected to have significant medical potential, and that the embryos used for research are only those slated for destruction anyway. The ensuing debate has prompted authorities around the world to seek regulatory frameworks and highlighted the fact that stem cell research represents a social and ethical challenge.

With all this being said, if you could save your own life or the life of a loved one, where would you stand?

He’s a beauty, 7 pounds 8oz of truth!

Truthiness Inc

Mandi
12-11-2006, 05:42 PM
I don't know near enough about this, but where I stand is if it's a fertalized egg, then I dissagree with it. If it is not a fertalized egg, and just a plain ol' straight from the ovaries egg, then, I don't see why not. Personal opinion of course. Hell, I'd give em all my eggs, I'm done with em.

Truthiness Inc
12-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi Mandi!

Mandi, if the egg is fertilized, do you at that point consider it life?

Truth is stranger then fiction.

Truthiness Inc

puppyluv
12-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I agree with the research.

Truthiness Inc
12-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi puppyluv

Would you donate cord blood?

Truth of the minds eye *queue cool sound effect*

Truthiness Inc

user5624
12-12-2006, 08:13 AM
I also agree with the research but this is a very religious headed debate. So my agreement of the research is all I'm saying.

Mandi
12-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Truth, I would. Actually some days my views on this varies, some days I would, and some days I wouldn't until a certain point , like 2 weeks from fertalization

Truthiness Inc
12-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Hi Mandi

I'll try and keep things as sensitive as possible, because I’m aware of certain views, but I'm trying to separate fact, from religious conviction.

So after 2 weeks, the fertilized egg would be life, but is it life because religion says so or because science shows this to be unlikely at best? Again I'm asking to get an idea of how people really feel about the research, and ethical practices.

I’m glad that so many people agree with the research, at the very least.

I haven't washed my hands in weeks, get ready to catch the truth!

Truthiness Inc

Mandi
12-12-2006, 01:07 PM
After two weeks, I think that's when the heart begins to form, and it becomes living. That's just a personal belief of mine, it has nothing to do with religion. I would LOVE to bank my babies cord blood, but we really can't afford it , so we're going to donate it, like with our first child's.

Truthiness Inc
12-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi Mandi

The human embryonic heart begins beating approximately 21 days after conception, or five weeks after the last normal menstrual period (LMP), which is the date normally used to date pregnancy.

I mention religion only because i hear a lot how people believe the egg by itself is a living being, yes these people exist, and they terrify even ME!

That’s' AWESOME!! I’m so glad there's heroes out there like you!!

Truth is a life beyond fact, it's true

Truthiness Inc

Tara
12-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Myself personally, i have no problem donating cord blood. I'd bank it but like Mandi i can't afford to do that