PDA

View Full Version : puppy..grrrr..lol

leaha2879
03-04-2007, 11:31 AM
grr, i have a 5 week old puppy..when do I start to train him and how can i get him to stop biting me 24/7. im being woke up with a 5 yr old, a 1 yr old and 4 cats, a 150 pound malmute wolf dog thats 6 and a bf, help me someone pls...give me some advice, we both forget how to train..help!!!!!!!!!!:o

christine chittick
03-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Well for starters, young pup is way too young to be taken from the mother. From that, you may have training issues to begin with because the mother has not taught the pup its basic social skills. I personally don't recommend puppies leaving the litter prior to 10wks...

However, you should start teaching it to use the washroom outside right away, and given the pup is so young, it cant hold it very long, so I would say take him out every half hour during the day and every 3 hours at night (unless the pup gets up within that time).

As for teaching commands, I would hold off on that for another 6-8wks. I find training is much easier for the pup to catch on at about 4 months, but I usually begin teaching basic training skills such as sit, down, and come at 12wks. And I always use soft treats or toys.

Hope this helps some.

Mercaties
03-22-2007, 08:26 PM
this might sound cruel, but i have had puppys that done the same thing. and i have small children too, but i had plenty of puppys that bit. You GAG
him, yup....stick your finger down his throat, and he will quickly catch on. And they do quite quickly.It's alot better then hitting him like most people do

MrsBeasley
03-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Like Christine said, 5 weeks is too young actually to leave it's mother, as this is the major socialization period for puppies. This is the time when it's mother would train it how to behave socially in a pack. In the case of biting, the mother would put her paw on the pup's snout and push it down toward the ground.

You (and others that live with you) need to establish a dominance role in the life of your young pup or it will eventually dominate you. In order to curb the biting you need to follow the way it's mother would do. The next time it bites you, put your hand on top of it's nose and while you say a loud, firm "NO!!" you push his nose to the ground and hold it there. Praise him when he doesn't bite.

Do not yell, squeal, run away, giggle, etc. and let the pup get away with it by allowing him to repeat the unwanted behavior, this just reinforces the bad behavior and he will believe this is appropriate and continue to do so. However, make sure you praise the dog when he doesn't bite.