PDA

View Full Version : Work Place Issue.

ceg
03-02-2007, 12:45 AM
I work at a call centre and they are doing some training lately that I've yet to get. I have the next three days scheduled off to move, so I asked my sup about when I would get the training. That's when she remembered she had to talk to me about it. Apparently they might be doing the training on Saturday or they might postpone it. I was told that if they have the training on Saturday and I don't get it then I'm not allowed to work my scheduled shifts next week.

Honestly I was more than a little surprised by this considering I just worked 7 days straight, they had many opportunities to call me in a bit early for training or to schedule me for it but it wasn't done. Now because of their bad planning I may lose my shifts.

Their supposed to call me tomorrow about it, but even if they have training on Saturday I don't know if I can make it because I'm moving all weekend.

Does anyone know if an employer is allowed to take your shifts and not pay you because of their own mistakes?

rhiley_08j
03-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Did you work more than 44 hours this week? By provincial labor laws, if you work 44 hours and are than required to work more you have the right to refuse without being penalized.

ceg
03-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Did you work more than 44 hours this week? By provincial labor laws, if you work 44 hours and are than required to work more you have the right to refuse without being penalized. They only schedule us for 37.5 paid hours a week.

ceg
03-02-2007, 01:51 AM
What it seems like they are suggesting is that I won't be able to do my job without this training, but it's just for sales. Not for what the job is really about.

trinity
03-02-2007, 02:43 AM
I don't know about the "not allowed to work your shifts next week" part, but I do know that an employer is only required to give you 24 hours notice of a shift change. Our schedules at work always say "SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE!" at the top. Where we work, they are courteous enough to ASK if you can come in on your day off, when someone calls in sick etc., but if they were desperate or wanted to play dirty, they could call and say "You're in tomorrow instead of Saturday!" and be done with it. Then if you can't, the onus is on you to call in "sick" and get penalized the shift or if your work has a sick day policy it can count against you.

ceg
03-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Yea but their not changing my shift, they would be completely taking it from me because they didn't bring me into training anytime in the past week. Pretty much they would take every shift I have until I got trained, and I wouldn't be getting those hours back.

lovingmom
03-02-2007, 11:26 AM
But also one must remember your boss may not have even remembered to mention this to you if you hadnt asked about it to begin with and you still would have worked your shifts next week..

ceg
03-02-2007, 12:42 PM
But also one must remember your boss may not have even remembered to mention this to you if you hadnt asked about it to begin with and you still would have worked your shifts next week.. This place is really disorganized. I wouldn't be surprised if I showed up Monday and got sent home. They did it to someone else two weeks ago and they quit. They scheduled him for training last minute and he told them he couldn't make it. He came into work his shift and instead of re-scheduling it they told him to go home.

MrsBeasley
03-04-2007, 12:00 PM
If it's anything like the call center I worked at, I'm sure in all the ton of paperwork that you have to sign on the first day, (you know.... the one's they paraphrase briefly in 15 minutes and you have to sign almost every second page), there's probably all kinds of gliches that you've signed for unknowingly that you could be penalized for if you sneezed the wrong way, and there's not much you can do about it because you signed the paper on your first day of work. (No one told you, you should bring along your lawyer on your first day to let you know what you're signing. LOL)

ceg
03-10-2007, 10:26 PM
They had decided to have the training Saturday but then called me just before I was about to go to it and told me it was cancelled. And it's never been rescheduled. Must not have been that important anyways.