PDA

View Full Version : terrible accident with my poor cat

westsider
12-11-2006, 11:53 AM
I've been trying to deal with this since it happened on wednesday. I have 3 cats, and the oldest of them all (7 years old) had crawled into my dryer for a nap with out any of us noticing. There were cloths in there so it was probably nice and warm. Well, I had to get my son ready to go out, so I thought I'd throw his pants in there to get the wrinkles out for a few min...not knowing my cat was in there. I didnt hear any banging or anything from the dryer. After I put them in the dryer I found a different pair in his room to put on him instead, so I did and we went out. I few hours later I opened the dryer to continue my laundry and found my cat inside. She obviously didnt make it. I think this is the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with...it broke my heart to know that all I had to do was check the dryer...which I normally do "just in case". But that day I just didnt even think of it. My kids crying for their cat breaks my heart too. Its been almost a week, and I don't really feel that much better at all. My friend try to tell me that accidents happen and not to blame myself, but I see it as, all I had to do was LOOK. So to all you cat owners, PLEASE always make sure your cats aren't in there. Its such an awful feeling. Thanks for listening to me, I needed to get this off my chest a bit. Take care.

drakelogan
12-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Oh my god i can only imagine what you must be feeling.....I would just fall apart too if that happened to one of my boys....i really think however beating yourself up over it will not help anything.....i know that does'nt have much effect on the way you feel now but i do hope you feel better soon....

user5624
12-11-2006, 12:28 PM
I am so sorry!! Your friend is right, accidents do happen but it still hurts. I get paranoid, I've heard smiliar cat-washer/dryer horror stories before. I hope things get better for you soon :( And so close to Christmas, I'm really sorry this happened

westsider
12-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks...I just got emotional reading your replies!! I had to get up and walk away from the computer! This is really hard on me, I know I'll feel better in time. Thanks guys.

margay
12-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Sorry about your loss :( I know what your going through

zoesmom
12-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Westsider and Margay, I'm so sorry for your losses.
It's a shame you and your cats had to endure those horrible situations.
Accidents do happen, all we can do is be careful and try out best to watch out for our babies (furry and human)...
I'm sure both of your babies were loved and they knew that.

Cherry Pop
12-12-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm sorry for your losses guys! These situations are horrible but you must not beat yourself up over this - It was an accident and unfortunately accidents happen. We are human and humans aren't perfect.

T4
12-12-2006, 11:14 PM
First..give yourself time to greive.
Secondly..accidents happen, and that's why they are called just that.
Animals are like small children, very inquisitive, mischeivious, and give us unconditional love!! You did NOTHING wrong, and don't beat yourself up over it. You were and are a good parent both to your furry legged kids and your human ones.

Give yourself time. Grieveing hurts, but remember that you were loved!!

westsider
12-13-2006, 04:27 PM
I am getting a little better, thanks for all the kind words everyone!

mommacat
02-09-2007, 05:05 PM
I've been trying to deal with this since it happened on wednesday. I have 3 cats, and the oldest of them all (7 years old) had crawled into my dryer for a nap with out any of us noticing. There were cloths in there so it was probably nice and warm. Well, I had to get my son ready to go out, so I thought I'd throw his pants in there to get the wrinkles out for a few min...not knowing my cat was in there. I didnt hear any banging or anything from the dryer. After I put them in the dryer I found a different pair in his room to put on him instead, so I did and we went out. I few hours later I opened the dryer to continue my laundry and found my cat inside. She obviously didnt make it. I think this is the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with...it broke my heart to know that all I had to do was check the dryer...which I normally do "just in case". But that day I just didnt even think of it. My kids crying for their cat breaks my heart too. Its been almost a week, and I don't really feel that much better at all. My friend try to tell me that accidents happen and not to blame myself, but I see it as, all I had to do was LOOK. So to all you cat owners, PLEASE always make sure your cats aren't in there. Its such an awful feeling. Thanks for listening to me, I needed to get this off my chest a bit. Take care.
I had the same thing happen to me,I had my laundry going and stopped it to clean out the lint filter,i guess thats when my cat jumped in,i put the filter in and closed the door ,started it,I did'nt see the cat in there,I to usually look in befor i start it but didnt this time,it was'nt till i needed a towel that i opened the dryer door and saw my poor lifeless baby,I heard a bump sound in the dryer but i chalked it up to heavy items in the load,i will never forgive myself,if i just checked she would still be here,its been 3 months and i still relive it and cry.

jdcb
02-09-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Saying it was an accident, although true, doesn't lessen the pain. I remember when my sister in law did that, my nieces were devestated. She found that burying the cat, without the kids present, but letting them know that the kitty was at rest helped...

jaxon
02-09-2007, 06:07 PM
just want to that you westsider, by you telling us all about your grief your are making others aware of the dangers to our pets. your family is in my families thought and prayers. best wishes. Jolene and Dave, Rusty, Jaxon and Marley.

westsider
02-26-2007, 08:22 AM
I just want to say thanks to everyone for being so caring. mommacat, I know how u feel, I think about my cat like every day. We buried her in our backyard, I told my kids that whenever they miss her, they can go in the yard and talk to her. Everytime I do laundry, I think about her. Now with 2 cats still running around the house, you better believe that Im checking my dryer every time! Its very sad, but I am doing so much better than I was the first few weeks. I do still feel guilty, and I think I always will. I am just learning to deal with it better.
And I really do hope people are more aware of the dangers that can happen with their pets...just be careful. Thanks again everyone.

mommacat
02-27-2007, 11:14 AM
I haven't even used my dryer since it happened Nov 3,06,I think about her every day,she was the most kind hearted cat,I have 2 young children and no matter what they did she never clawed or bit,she purred very loud we called her a motor,My husband brought her and a sibling to us because the owner was going to shoot them:mad:,they were just kittens!!!,and i don't know how it happened but she ened up miles from our home lost i set up posters of her around town and she was returned after 2 months,1 year later and now dealing with this i can hardley take it and it's hard not to blame myself,it's something i know i will never forget even doing my laundry drying at my mom's house i constantly check the drum befor i start it,I entered her on rainbows bridge on the net if anyone wants to visit just lookup name in residents TUXEDO (C & W)

PEOPLE PLEASE CHECK YOUR DRYER BEFOR STARTING,WASHERS,DISHWASHERS,VEHICLES ETC.CATS ARE CURIOUS

rrk4
03-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi was as searching for something else but your message was located and though I never had cat as my pet but can feel the terrible pain. I just thought to write in this column because long time ago I gheard of a true story wherein a couple lost their three kids same day. What happened was two of the kids tried to clean their young baby brother and they put that into washer and then later blabla.........I cant even imagine its so scary and children hided themselves underneath car in garage and third one did somewthing else . And all kids died same day. These are small mistakes with terrible loss and never ending pain. Only thing required is to take care and never do anything without watching . Especially pets and kids are never to be trusted , So, just never leave them alone and watch them always..I am sorry...for your loss but really by sharing your pain you did the right thing and trust me it is a lesson for everyone who read your message and feel your pain. Please have peace. ITs not your fault.
Take Care..