PDA

View Full Version : help plz

smith
03-01-2007, 09:09 PM
does any body know if it's normal for a new born baby who is on formula bring it up from his mouth and his nose?

Mandi
03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
When my daughter was 3 months old and we first switched her to formula, she did. She vomited very violently until we switched her formula. I'm not sure if it's normal though, so sorry I couldn't be more helpful.:(

tish
03-01-2007, 09:22 PM
more info is needed...ie> has it happened more then once etc..how old is babe?

smith
03-01-2007, 09:28 PM
it happens everytime we feed him he was even doing on breast milk to so i can't breast feed because of the med i'm on so i tried him on three different types now and he throws it up then he's hungry again and he does it all day long and all night to . he's only two weeks old as of today and not ganing any weight sence i came home from the hospital either.

Rickster
03-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Quite normal as I 've been there done that and was always the 'Parent' that didn't panic,lol. It just takes some time for them to adapt to a form coughing,choking(mildly,as we do sometimes),eventually they learn to slow down on their feeding. You don't have the hole in the nipple too large do you ?, as sometimes people make this larger in an attempt to feed him faster,not wise unless you really know what your doing.I've done this also and found that just squeezing it and slicing it with a razor blade is better than 'chopping' it with a pair of scissors. Those that been there will know what I mean. I was one of those "Dads" that couldn't get enough of my first-born !!,and proud of it !! Not to make the second born any less important but there's nothing like watching your first popping his head out from that darkness ,LOL,lol.-Rick.

smith
03-01-2007, 09:42 PM
nope didn't touch tgahe nipples they had a hole in them when i got them from the store. even know we just gave him a bottle and threw it up now he's hungry again we even hear him burb to.

tish
03-01-2007, 09:50 PM
how much does he take?

tish
03-01-2007, 09:54 PM
how fast would he take the bottle...??

Rickster
03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
If the caps aren't on tight he could be getting too much air ,thus creating extra 'gas'.!!??-Rick.

Rickster
03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
And here's something else to consider, If you an active parent while feeding him(moving around a lot) then the nipple is constantly being popped out of the seal of his lips around it and when this happens he starts sucking air with his milk ?? -Rick.

smith
03-01-2007, 10:05 PM
i'm sitting down when i do feed him and i hold him until he falls asleep on me.

QuispamsisHome
03-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi There...Is the baby actually keeping any formula down?
You should count the number of wet and dirty diapers daily. He should have 6-8 wet diapers and 3-4 dirty diapers every day. Sometimes you'll get both at once...but try to judge it. If he isn't getting this you should see your doctor...especially if he isn't gaining weight.
It is normal for babies to bring it out their nose and mouth somewhat. As Rick said, they have to learn how to guage their "suck". You should keep him fairly upright while he is sucking and just tilt the bottle so that he doesn't get air. Also, pull it out if he gets gulping too quickly and let him get a breather. He may need extra burping in between in order to prevent too much air from being swallowed. If they don't get enough of the gas (air swallowed) out, the formula will come right back up.
If you are very concerned, you should consult your Doctor..."A mother's instinct is usually right"
Good Luck...I hope this helps.

tish
03-01-2007, 10:08 PM
very good advice Quispamsis, i completely forgot about the wet and dirty diaper thing...

smith
03-01-2007, 10:11 PM
he has more wet diapers then dirty ones.

QuispamsisHome
03-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi Smith...PM'd you

jkennedy
03-02-2007, 05:11 AM
My son was like this the first week I brought him home but was breastfed. He was gaining weight but it seemed like he was throwing up very large amounts. I called the nurses at the hospital and they suggested stopping him to burp every couple of minutes and it worked perfectly. He basically stopped spitting up all together.

michp
03-02-2007, 05:42 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the mik coming out the nose - it's quite normal. It use to happen to my son all the time when he was first born. He went through a spurt where he was spitting up all the time - all over him, all over me - it wasn't pleasant, but he has gotten much better now that he is almost 6 months old. Also, I don't know why but the powder formula made him alot more gassy than the concentrated liquid. With my first born it took her a couple of weeks to get use to formula after being breast fed, but then the spitting up calmed down.

It's quite normal to have more wet than dirty diapers. In my experience most babies only have a dirty diaper once every day or two.

Also, if you are worried that he is not gaining I would make an apointment with your family doctor or the baby-mom clinic at the Regional.

michp
03-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Smith - hope things are going better for you and your little one.

babydoll101
03-05-2007, 12:47 PM
My baby girl was 3 weeks old when we discovered the same symptoms. I thought it was her formula until she vomitted blood. We took her into the emerg. They did an ultra sound and found this
http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/digestive/pyloric_stenosis.html

I am not at all trying to scare you but I too thought it was just formula or something I was doing wrong like over feeding. Your baby is at the age when it happens. Anyway something to think about and if the baby is still doing this I would take them to a doctor or the hospital. Probably just to be on the safe side.

jackj
03-05-2007, 02:03 PM
I dont know if someone already mentioned this or not, but could your baby lactose intolerent? have u tried the soy formula? Babies can even be intolerent to their own mothers milk. ( my sister -in-law had this prob.) just a thought?? hows baby now??? let us all know! :)

care1978
03-05-2007, 02:54 PM
this happened to my oldest son for about 4 months, i had to monitor his formula intake and then determine how much i thought he threw up, sometimes my son would throw up what looked like a whole lot mnore than he actually drank, and it was very projectile, out of the mouth and those nose, kindaa reminded me of something out of a scary movie.... but we got through it, i was told it was because of the mucus build up from him being overdue... nevertheless he turned out fine, my only advice to you can be you are the baby's mother and if you feel that there is something wrong, then you should have the baby seen, i hope you make out alright, as i have been through this and know how hard it can be. good luck :)

smith
03-05-2007, 05:02 PM
just to let everybody know he's on alimentum and still doing the same thing but not as bad though .

babydoll101
03-05-2007, 06:55 PM
That is what my daughter had to go on after her opperation. She got really addicted to it though and it was really hard to get her off the bottle. It is pretty yuky stuff. lol

smith
04-11-2007, 11:00 PM
yeah he's still bringing up his formula and now along with blood .but all it is is acid reflux but been in and out of the hospital to because of it i brought him up to night but all they said is that he's fine and to call the doctor so he can run some more test done. he seems to put weight on then lose the weight and so far. right now i have no i dea what i should be doing any more parlos synoised has been ruled out . but if he's only keeping down an once and gaging on the bottle coughing and turning blue in the face i have no clue what the doctor's can do now for him because latley he's more fussy and you can only get one burp out of him before he brings it up. and he's going on two months now to.

care1978
04-11-2007, 11:04 PM
yeah he's still bringing up his formula and now along with blood .but all it is is acid reflux but been in and out of the hospital to because of it i brought him up to night but all they said is that he's fine and to call the doctor so he can run some more test done. he seems to put weight on then lose the weight and so far. right now i have no i dea what i should be doing any more parlos synoised has been ruled out . but if he's only keeping down an once and gaging on the bottle coughing and turning blue in the face i have no clue what the doctor's can do now for him because latley he's more fussy and you can only get one burp out of him before he brings it up. and he's going on two months now to.
oh my goodness! the poor little fella, thats a sin :(
i hope he gets the proper diagnosis soon so he can get better faster, hang in there. best of luck!