PDA

View Full Version : Home building contractors

jigjew
03-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with building their own home, and if they had any hints or tips that would make the process go smoother.

Right now, I'm on the lookout for contractors that would do the work on my home, and haven't yet made up my mind wether I will build myself or go turn-key. Does anyone know of quality of work done by some of the local construction companies, or where I could find out such info??

Thanks in advance

QuispamsisHome
03-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Hi...In my opinion, I would definitely build my own. If you are the general and sub out the work along the way you will save a lot of money. You will automatically build equity before you even move in.
The only kicker is the price of the land...it is ridiculous what they are asking for it in Quispamsis area. When LNG, Refinery are in place it will get worse. I'd say jump on it now.
You first have to find a lot (make sure it is an approved building lot with the town), then find a house plan to "suit" the lot, then get quotes from excavation to finishing etc... The bank will send an appraiser with your plan to the lot.
Q..There a lot of good contractors out there. I don't know many in Saint John but most are great in Quispamsis area. If you are building your own, the "little guy" is usually the best bet price wise. Just make sure that you get some references. I have built four houses, and thinking about building again this year...I would never buy or go turn key.
Good Luck...

Auntie22
03-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with building their own home, and if they had any hints or tips that would make the process go smoother.

Right now, I'm on the lookout for contractors that would do the work on my home, and haven't yet made up my mind wether I will build myself or go turn-key. Does anyone know of quality of work done by some of the local construction companies, or where I could find out such info??

Thanks in advance

I think - my dad works for him. And has for several years now. my dad also built our own house. They ( I THINK they are called M and M Contractors) Have built some amazing houses. They were doing work for prestige homes - I have seen some of the houses - they do a really good job. If you want more info let me know and I can get you numbers!!! Good luck!!

puppyluv
03-02-2007, 03:28 AM
There are pro's and cons to be your own builder.
1, you have to remember that you still have a life outside of the "building your home".
You may have children, a spouse, a job etc, and whether you go as your own general or builder, it will take up a tremendous amount of time from those relationships or your job.
2, you do not want to get someone with a half tonne and a hammer, you need to get someone who can help you with the issues.
My specialty in business is homebuilders and contractors and I am not lying when I say, there are far too many out there that profess to be contractor’s when they don’t know how to use a level, or even some of the simpler bits of the building code.
3,When you sub contractor your own house, I you chose to do it that way, do not base everything on the lowest price. Ask to see some work, ask around about their reputation, remember to also keep this in the back of your mind, who is going to warranty the work if something is defective, or if the building inspector, or plumbing inspector etc won’t pass it?
Another option that I have seen is the pre manufactured homes. Do not be fooled, those are pretty nice now. Not saying they weren’t before, but you can get cape cods, 2 levels etc now. You probably have gone past them before and wouldn’t even realize they were not built on site.
4, don’t forget, insurance when you build if you are your own general. There is more job site theft in this world than one thinks. Also as your own general, that is your responsibility, so get ready to sleep there while the build is on.

If it sounds like I am trying to dissuade you, I am not, you can save money doing it yourself, but you need to remember there is a tremendous amount of work to it. It affects everything in your world for 4 plus months. Sometimes, getting a contractor (responsible, certified one) makes all the difference, You will still have lots to decide, but it might be a good choice.

One point I always make, get a scrapbook together or the colors, taps, lights, countertop colors etc you have found and liked. Write where you saw them, how much etc and keep it. Because when the time comes for that you may not actually remember what or where because there has been so much going on.