PDA

View Full Version : Property Taxes?

psych
03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know what is involved when you appeal your property taxes.Im sure my place isnt worth what they assesed it at? What do they look for when they come into your home and how succesful is the appeal process for the home owner? Any help appreciated. Thanks

rubycshells
03-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I appealed mine last year and won. They come to your home and look around, inside and out, looking at the general condition of the home. Then they pull up the list sheets of homes that have sold in your neighborhood and see how your home compares to those that have sold and for the market price.

A friend who deals in real estate told me that you shouldn't clean up your home when they come...leave it a little dirty, tell them that you just had the roof inspected and that it needs replacing, etc.

ilvrotties
03-01-2007, 07:38 PM
The better it looks inside (woodfloors, nice paint, waterjet tubs etc) the more its worth. They also look at the outside. A friend of mine said when they came to ascess hers they told her the more planted trees and flowers and outside buildings the higher they ascess it. If the basement is done it goes up. Just be careful. Good luck:D

moniblue
03-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Our house was assessed at a value of approximately $9000 more this year than last. What do they base the assessment on when no one comes to view the property? Is it based developments, sales etc in the neighbourhood?

komodo182
03-09-2007, 12:38 PM
our house value went up by 9000, so if they offer us that-then we will leave, lol. I dont understand how it went up- the house just got older...

baseball 23
03-09-2007, 01:30 PM
It can be based on values in the neighborhood, if housing prices in SJ rise, yours will rise too. If values are up in your neighborhood, yours will be up to. So, you may do nothing at all to improve your house, but now it's worth more. People hate to think their house is worth more when it comes time to pay taxes, but watch when they go to sell it, how much is it worth then?

komodo182
03-09-2007, 01:45 PM
thats the thing- if we sell the house- the price would not be the same. the house is not the value that is given, this is just a money grib by the government. There is no way we can sell this house at teh price taht the government is listing it as. So- they shoudl do their jobs right or not at all in my opinion.

monoke
03-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Change your name to Irving then you won't have a worry........

komodo182
03-09-2007, 02:20 PM
just wondering why peopel are getting paid to do something and not do it. Topical Government job

6sixstring6
03-09-2007, 03:06 PM
thats the thing- if we sell the house- the price would not be the same. the house is not the value that is given, this is just a money grib by the government. There is no way we can sell this house at teh price taht the government is listing it as. So- they shoudl do their jobs right or not at all in my opinion.

they can't do every house every year, be reasonable. It is based on market conditions unless they actually do an assessment. If you disagree with the assessed value, then appeal it. They will then come to your house and do an actual assessment.

My assessment has gone up every year for the last few years and it is still tens of thousands of dollars below market value so I have to pay the increase every year and be happy they don't come do an actual assessment.

komodo182
03-09-2007, 10:27 PM
we will appeal

drakelogan
03-10-2007, 02:33 AM
Hi, i live in red head...and my property tax has gone up almost 500 dollars since i've purchased my house 3 years ago...it's insane...and on top of that i pay another 55 bucks a month for water !!! Where does it end...you can bet i'll be appealing it all....

magoosmomma
03-10-2007, 04:27 AM
Change your name to Irving then you won't have a worry........
hhahahhaaa

komodo182
03-10-2007, 07:54 AM
way too high for no new changes! Our roads arent even paved right ore even plowed properly. Each year the services get worse and the taxes go up!
...?
cant wait to leave the province.