PDA

View Full Version : Carseats and Booster seats

Tania
03-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Hi does anyone here know of this law i've been hearing that says all children under 4'9 must be in a carseat/booster seat?? is it true??

and my mom is 4'11 does that mean two more inches and I'd have to put HER in a booster seat?? :p

ChelorSean
03-01-2007, 10:14 AM
lol ya its a law but don't know if its here or not...good luck

shadoww
03-01-2007, 10:15 AM
I called the police station a cpl years trying to find out what the rule is, the only thing they told me was that if a child was under 60 pounds( I had heard it was 80 pounds) we would be fined if stopped.

But I know also there is a height requirement as well, as soon as their head is above the booster seat they can be taken out of it I was told, not by the police but info I found online. I had a terrible time finding out the rules even when I called the police station I was passed around afew times before they found someone that could help me!!

arielle
03-01-2007, 12:36 PM
the new law was put in place in nova scotia

karen
03-01-2007, 12:41 PM
The government was also looking at implementing a new law in New Brunswick, more strick than NS. THe child must reach a weight and/or height requirement or to the age of 10. My little guy is 8 years old and only weighs 51 lbs and is 51 inches - he'll be in a booster seat for a long long time, he's very small for his age.
I also heard that NB passes the new law, it will be a loss of pts on your liscense as well as a fine. So for those who don't have their children in a booster seat, definately something to look into!

Tania
03-01-2007, 12:44 PM
It's Definately Something We All Need To Look Into If We Have Kids..

ChelorSean
03-01-2007, 01:00 PM
its the same thing as kids 12 and under are not suppose to be in the front seat.not to many know about that....

Tania
03-01-2007, 02:01 PM
I Just Cringe At What's Gonna Happen When I Tell My 9 Yr Old She Has To Sit In A Booster Seat Lol

karen
03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
that's what I had to do - tell my 8 yr old son he had to go back in a booster seat! You can just imagine how well that went over. Nothing a little bribery won't fix LOL

Tara
03-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I wish they had 5 point harnesses here for up to 80 pounds, I know they do in the states.

Mandi
03-01-2007, 02:48 PM
I wish they had 5 point harnesses here for up to 80 pounds, I know they do in the states.

I have one. It's made by eddie bower, bought at sears.

ChelorSean
03-01-2007, 02:50 PM
they do....my son is three and is in a son is in a seat for infant when rear facing and then forward facing it's 40-80 but i think once they get so tall the belts come out and you use the normal ones.you could try looking around.

Tara
03-01-2007, 02:58 PM
I've already looked around here, they don't have them :(

je12122
03-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I have a child of my own a newborn and I plan to keep him in a booster seat til the recommended age or weight, however I still think about how our parents just buckled us right in and took off....seems like everything is changing now...baby walkers, lying on the back, bumper pads, no snowsuits or bunting bags in car seats, etc.... Some how I survived all this and a bunch more no's no's.

Seems like everything has changed and there is a rule to everything....

Tania
03-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Dont forget riding in the back of pickup trucks.... seems we come from a more invincible generation... and yes i agree.. how did we survive??? without the gvtments caring... lol

Misty589
03-01-2007, 06:32 PM
I also would like a 5 poiint harness that goes higher than 40 lbs, my daughter is 39 1/4 lbs and i'm holding out to the last minute to take the 5 point out lol

richunclepennywise
03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Dont forget riding in the back of pickup trucks.... seems we come from a more invincible generation... and yes i agree.. how did we survive??? without the gvtments caring... lol

We didn't all survive, that's why they make rules.

Tania
03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Of Course I Know That And That's Why I Was Inquiring About The Seats.. I Was Making A Point As To The Chances Our Parents Took.. And Babies Die In Carseats Also.. Ask My Moms Friend Who Assisted In A Car Crashwhere The Mothers Seat Pinned The Baby... Nothing Is A Guarantee.. But Procautions Need To Be Made...

Cherry Pop
03-02-2007, 09:17 PM
I have a Safe Kids Canada booklet that talks about car seat safety in Canada. Zellers was giving them out a few months ago. The requirements for a child in a booster seat is that it must be used until the child is "up to at least 80 pounds (36 kilograms), up to 57 inches (145 centimetres) and from the age of about 4 or 5 years to about the age of 9 years." My daughter is almost 9 years old and isn't even close to this weight or height therefore she is still in a booster seat. This is safer for her if we were ever in an accident. For an adult that is this small, well an adult is usually stronger than a child even if they are the same size.

Tara
03-02-2007, 09:30 PM
There is always a chance....I know someone whos son was thrown from the vehicle and died on impact and he was secured in a booster seat. The seatbelt became unlatched in her SUV, she now has her 6 year old in a 5 point harness for up to 80 pounds.

rhiley_08j
03-02-2007, 10:40 PM
my oldest is almost 11 and only weighs 57 pounds ,,,can you imagine her in a car seat!!lol,all 4 of my children would need them!!

rhiley_08j
03-02-2007, 11:19 PM
nope shes short and skinny,,the indignities of being a tiny child lol

DobWhiDai
03-03-2007, 01:39 AM
Hi, ya all! Cherry Pop provided a great reference for everyone entitled "Safe Kids Canada Booklet " that discusses car seat safety in Canada. I was given the same Booklet during one a prenatal visits a few months ago.

I managed to find a PDF from Kids that Click, a program that "ensure[s] ... children are buckled in safely on every ride". This PDF entitled "Booster Seats and Seat Belts: What you need to know" Answers many questions that were posed thoughout this discussion. I hope the information clarifies some of your concerns.

http://www.sickkids.ca/SKCForPartners/custom/KidsThatClickENGBroch.pdf

Furthermore, as mentioned about current Laws and New Brunswick: here is a link from CBC that has the current regulations that NS are following.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2007/01/03/nb-boosterseat.html

Thank You

scuddles
03-03-2007, 02:08 PM
It is my understanding than N.B will soon be making it law for the booster seats for any child under certain height.
Booster seats are designed so that seat belts are properly postioned on a child. ( shoulder strap should lay across the body away from their necks, and the lap belt across the upper thigh/hip not across the belly.)
Also car seats when properly installed should not be able to move any more than a inch from side to side, and not all car seats fit in all makes of vehicles

Lisa_morris
03-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I have two children one in a booster and one in a 3 in 1. The 3 in 1 car seats are great because they go up to 80 pounds and has a 5 point harness. I think they should make it law if it isnt already, it keeps our children safe. Why would someone want to risk their childs life? It just doesnt seem worth it, I hate it when I see children without booster seats, I worry and I hate it even worse when I see them in the front seat. My mom didnt let me in the front seat until I was 16, just in case. And to this day when she is running in somewhere she will not leave the keys in the car.

sarahnb
03-11-2007, 04:52 PM
I have one. It's made by eddie bower, bought at sears.

The Eddie Bauer car seat cannot be used with a 5 point harness to 80 lbs but as a belt positioning booster seat.

http://www.toysrus.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&productId=80013

The Britax Marathon is the highest rated car seat in Canada and can be special ordered from Toys R Us.

Please do your research when buying a car seat and take into consideration the body type of your child.

mother of 4
03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
even in the link u just gave us u still have to remove the 5 point harness after 40lb and use car strap.

Mandi
03-11-2007, 05:10 PM
The Eddie Bauer car seat cannot be used with a 5 point harness to 80 lbs but as a belt positioning booster seat.

http://www.toysrus.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&productId=80013

The Britax Marathon is the highest rated car seat in Canada and can be special ordered from Toys R Us.

Please do your research when buying a car seat and take into consideration the body type of your child.

[/URL]

If anyone is interested in some great car seat information or has questions, check out [URL]http://www.toysrus.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&productId=80013 (http://forum.*******************/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=452716&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&vc=1)
There is a car seat safety technician (TamC) who would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

That doesn't look to be my carseat. I don't know for sure if it can have th e5 point up to 80 lbs, but my daughter is 37 ish, and has pleanty of room, even with her winter coat on.

mommahas2babies
03-11-2007, 06:09 PM
I also would like a 5 poiint harness that goes higher than 40 lbs, my daughter is 39 1/4 lbs and i'm holding out to the last minute to take the 5 point out lol

Sears has a number of 5 point harness car seats that go to 80-100 pounds. My son has an eddie bauer one that is good to 80 and my daughter has a evenflo (bought at toys r us) that goes to 100 pounds.. My nephew has a cosco one that goes to 80 pounds and we have an extra one that goes to 100 pounds (i think it is a Graco) They are around but they tend to be a little more expensive than a regular car seat but I think its worth it...hope that helps.

Tara
03-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I went to sears and they didn't have any and when I inquired about it they didn't know they even existed...

sarahnb
03-12-2007, 01:15 PM
They don't exist. the 5 point harness can only be used to 40lbs unless it is a Britax seat which goes to 48lbs with the harness. After 40lbs, you take the harness system out and it is used as a highback booster to position the seat belt correctly.

Tara
03-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Actually they do exist. They're just not available here. I'm going send my friend an email to see which one she has so I can find out where I can buy it.

Tara
03-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Here are a couple of links for up to 80 pounds witha 5 point harness system

http://www.britaxusa.net/products/detail_regent.aspx

Up to 65 pounds

http://www.britaxusa.net/products/detail_marathon.aspx

It looks like they do have up to 65 pounds on toysrus but they're out of stock

http://www.toysrus.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TRUSearchResultView?ds=0&catalogId=10052&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&fs=1&Ntt=britax&N=24&langId=-1&storeId=10051&Ntk=eng

Mandi
03-13-2007, 12:38 PM
It's 4'9" now or aged 9 in a booster seat.

mustang5lboy
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
i've heard that it's 80 lbs OR 4'2" whichever they reach first... until then they are suppose to be in a booster seat.

ladybug
04-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Here are a couple of links for up to 80 pounds witha 5 point harness system

http://www.britaxusa.net/products/detail_regent.aspx

Up to 65 pounds

http://www.britaxusa.net/products/detail_marathon.aspx

It looks like they do have up to 65 pounds on toysrus but they're out of stock

http://www.toysrus.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TRUSearchResultView?ds=0&catalogId=10052&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&fs=1&Ntt=britax&N=24&langId=-1&storeId=10051&Ntk=eng

AS of right now in CANADA the highest weight limit with a 5 point harness is 48lbs. There has been talks that this may be raised to 65lbs like the Britax Marathon is in the US, but it will only be if the seat is secured with your vehicles seatbelt and not the vehicles UAS/Latch system built into your car (2002 or newer). Nothing has been changed as of yet. The link above to the ToyrUs seat was a typo, it had the US specs and not the Canadian Specs (I actually wrote to them).

If anyone is thinking about the Britax Marathon, I can assure you it's worth every penny. 10 years and 4 kids later I've used a lot of car seats over the years and I'm really happy with this seat. It's too bad that the Regent is not available here, but remember if you do purchase any car seat from the US please know that it does not meet Transport Canada standards.

Oh and for those of you wondering about booster seats and older children, my daughter finally just moved out of hers at age ten, she never complained once! Car seat safety is number one here! I'm glad we have the knowledge now and can protect our children.